1994-P Roosevelt Dime Lamination Error

Old April 29th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1994-P Roosevelt Dime Lamination Error

I'm relatively new to the art of coin collecting; I collected as a kid,
then got out of it when adolescence set. Recently I inherited my
grandfather's coin collection, which has resparked my interest. He
doesn't have anything that's really valuable, but he does have a mostly
complete set of American early 20th-century coins, which makes it easy
for me to fill in the blanks.

Anyway, on to my question: I was sorting thru some coins when I noticed
that one of them (1994-P Roosevelt Dime) had a very curious looking
pattern on it's obverse side. At first I thought it was a dirt or water
stain, but then I noticed that when I ran my thumb over it, I could feel
that there was a definite ridge. The pattern meanders across the face
of the coin, starting at the base of his neck, up to his nose, back down
and around the neck along the chin-line, and then around the top of his
head where it eventually goes off the coin at the tip of his head. I
poked around and found out that this is most likely a lamination error
(correct me if I'm wrong, as I said I'm a newbie).

I found this site (http://www.coinsite.com/html/USErrorPrices.asp) which
said that a lamination error on a Roosevelt coin runs about $6, but I'm
not sure about that because I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of
coins to know when my BS meter should be going off. Six bucks ain't
much, but it definitely would keep it from getting cashed in.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott