Rockola 461 maintenance

Old June 3rd 15, 02:07 AM
tclch tclch is offline
Junior Member

Question Rockola 461 maintenance

I have a Rock-ola 461 "Princess" juke box that was working great but has been idle for a while and now the volume is very low even when the knob is turned all the way up. Also the "speaker overload" lite is on. Any suggestions from other's experience out there?

Also I've been looking for maintenance manual(lubrication/cleaning/adjustments) online. Any suggestions for online documentation? - thanks in advance for any help.
Old June 3rd 15, 07:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Default Rockola 461 maintenance

On 06/02/2015 6:07 PM, tclch wrote:
I have a Rock-ola 461 "Princess" juke box that was working great but has
been idle for a while and now the volume is very low even when the knob
is turned all the way up. Also the "speaker overload" lite is on. Any
suggestions from other's experience out there?

Also I've been looking for maintenance
manual(lubrication/cleaning/adjustments) online. Any suggestions for
online documentation? - thanks in advance for any help.

Buy a manual from Victory Glass - well worth it!

As for your amp, if you have not replaced the electrolytic capacitors in
it, then that is where I would start. Any amplifier from around the
1980s or earlier needs new capacitors by now.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old June 4th 15, 06:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rusty Ross - Edmonton

--
tclch

I have owned a Rock-Ola 454 for the past 25+ years. When I first bought this jukebox I too was concerned about the illuminated 'speaker overload' indicator lamp. Someone back then told me to just ignore it, which i have done for the past 25+ years. Based on my experience you might consider doing the same.
Cheers, yet another John (not John Robertson)

Old June 4th 15, 07:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 06/04/2015 10:28 AM, Rusty Ross - Edmonton wrote:
[...]

Hi Rusty,

I do suggest you consider recapping your amp! That is really getting on
for that vintage, if you look up capacitor life span as designed by the
factory if run at the rated (or near) voltage the caps had about 2,000
hours of life...

Then you consider hermetic seal failures - know much plastic from the
70s that isn't dried out and getting brittle?

Buy the caps fro a reputable source, check out the guys in Ontario who
sell to the antique radio folks for example.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old April 1st 20, 11:07 PM
tclch tclch is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Thanks John's and Rusty. I had lost this website and didn't realize I had responses (my SPAM filter might been too vigilant). I appreciate the responses and planning to do some refurb soon.