selling?

Old March 19th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Di

Default selling?

Hey -
What - if any - are the limitations of offering coins for sale here? Am not
keen on going through eBay, and local alternatives are not good in my rather
small southern city. Please advise.

Old March 19th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:49:46 -0500, Di wrote:
Hey -
What - if any - are the limitations of offering coins for sale here? Am not
keen on going through eBay, and local alternatives are not good in my rather
small southern city. Please advise.

Not sure on the technically defined rules but, post it with FA: starting
your subject line, and batch them up rather than posting separate
messages for each. It helps to participate and contribute to the group
rather than just exploiting it for free advertising, as well.

Old March 19th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 18, 10:01*pm, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:49:46 -0500, Di wrote:
Hey -
What - if any - are the limitations of offering coins for sale here? *Am not
keen on going through eBay, and local alternatives are not good in my rather
small southern city. *Please advise.

Not sure on the technically defined rules but, post it with FA: starting
your subject line, and batch them up rather than posting separate
messages for each. *It helps to participate and contribute to the group
rather than just exploiting it for free advertising, as well.

Pay no attention to Hinz, he's our resident asshole.
If you have coins for sale preface your posting heading with FS. If
for auction use FA.
Proving that even a blind chicken gets a piece of corn, Hinz was right
about consolidating all your coins in one post where feasible.
Old March 19th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

Di wrote:
What - if any - are the limitations of offering coins for sale here?
Am not keen on going through eBay, and local alternatives are not
good in my rather small southern city. Please advise.

Prefix your Subject with "FA:" ("for auction") if your items are up for
auction (typically on eBay). Or use "FS:" ("for sale") if you are
selling directly.

In either case, it is best to post no more than about once per week.

--
Jim Seymour
Old March 19th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Di

"Jim Seymour" wrote...
Di wrote:
[...]
Prefix your Subject with "FA:" ("for auction") if your items are up for
auction (typically on eBay). Or use "FS:" ("for sale") if you are selling
directly.

In either case, it is best to post no more than about once per week.

Thanks for the advice, Jim. Getting a batch scanned each week is about all
I'd have time for.

Old March 19th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Di

"RF" wrote ...
On Mar 18, 10:01 pm, Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]
Thanks for your reply, RF. I'm in my late 50's, and I have bunches of coins
I saved, beginning when I was a kid. Pounds and pounds of pennies, nickels,
dimes, quarters, halves, foreign coins, etc. I've not even looked at some
of them for 20 years or more. Was thinking I'd hook up my scanner, fill
the surface with coins, and see if the results draw any interest, as most
are just found objects, and not things I've purchased. Thanks again - I
needed the motivation!

Old March 19th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 19, 6:25*pm, "Di" wrote:
"RF" wrote ...
On Mar 18, 10:01 pm, Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]
Thanks for your reply, RF. *I'm in my late 50's, and I have bunches of coins
I saved, beginning when I was a kid. *Pounds and pounds of pennies, nickels,
dimes, quarters, halves, foreign coins, etc. *I've not even looked at some
of them for 20 years or more. * Was thinking I'd hook up my scanner, fill
the surface with coins, and see if the results draw any interest, as most
are just found objects, and not things I've purchased. *Thanks again - I
needed the motivation!

OK, to start with separate any silver coins from the mix (10/25/50
cent coins dated before 1965 and 50 cent coins 1965-1970), these have
value for their silver content.
There were silver nickels made from 1942-1945 - there will be a large
mintmark over the dome on the reverse. Unless you have some buffalo
nickels, the rest of the nickels probably have no collector value.
Pre-1959 cents (wheatback) are worth a few cents each for common date/
condition.
For more information get a Red Book or a copy of Coin Values or simlar
magazine.
Old March 20th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Di

"RF" wrote...
"Di" wrote:
[...]

Hey - remember my age. When I first started collecting, buffalo nickels,
mercury dimes, Indian head pennies, etc were still in circulation to some
extent. Later on, I kept all the silver I could afford, including the
silver nickels. Also, I used to keep up with my foreign coins pretty well.
My older sister worked with a city bus company, and I would trade her US
coins for the foreign coins, as the bank wouldn't take them. Not sure if
that was a good deal or not, but I thought so many of them were beautiful
and interesting.....
When my dad died, my inheritance was a couple of pistols, a pair of cowboy
boots, and two bags of silver coins. When I open them up again, I'll share
the results here.

SELLING Barry Shockley Football (US) 0 August 16th 06 11:08 PM
Q: About selling John Ahnen Coins 8 October 30th 05 05:31 PM
I am SELLING these Harry Marcado Baseball 0 June 8th 04 03:45 AM
SELLING SELLING SELLIN cheap OR CHEAPER@@@ Gnomer Pyle Football (US) 0 March 23rd 04 11:43 PM
Selling out Enalk3430 Coins 0 September 21st 03 08:52 PM