Major Ramsey Campbell Collectible

Old February 17th 04, 10:31 AM
Shane Staley

Default Major Ramsey Campbell Collectible

The specialty press publisher Delirium Books has just announced an
all-leather hardcover edition of Ramsey Campbell's THE PARASITE. This
book will feature YOUR name on a special thanks page from the author.
Inscriptions are available on ordering. Customers will be contacted
individually about the name on the special thanks page and if they
wish to have their copy personally inscribed by Ramsey Campbell. This
edition will feature the expanded version of the novel, never before
published--an additional 7,000 words printed for the first time.

This package also includes:

Genuine Black Leather-bound hardcover

Genuine Black Leather Hinge Box

Foil Stamp by artist Colleen Crary on both hinge box and book

Personally-inscribed signature sheet signed by author

Customer name appears on special thanks page

Extremely limited run (maximum of 52 copies produced)

Delirium will only be selling these editions for an exclusive 3-month
period, so Campbell fans and collectors must order by April 30, 2004
because they won't be sold after that date.

For more information, please visit:
http://www.deliriumbooks.com/parasite_ultra.htm
Old February 17th 04, 02:26 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Shane Staley wrote:

The specialty press publisher Delirium Books has just announced an
all-leather hardcover edition of Ramsey Campbell's THE PARASITE.

Posting this information to a non-commercial newgroup is spam. Posting it to
a newgroup for people who supposedly actually know something about
book-collecting is either foolishness or a perverted desire to be the object
of derision!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old February 20th 04, 06:07 AM
Mike Berro

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in
message ...
Shane Staley wrote:

The specialty press publisher Delirium Books has just announced an
all-leather hardcover edition of Ramsey Campbell's THE PARASITE.

Posting this information to a non-commercial newgroup is spam. Posting it

a newgroup for people who supposedly actually know something about
book-collecting is either foolishness or a perverted desire to be the

object
of derision!

Actually, although I don't collect Campbell, it would be interesting to me
as an informational posting. Having a limited edition inscribed on the
limitation page is an interesting idea; I wonder if it's the first time?
Unfortunately, it *is* spam, and regardless of it's unsuitability, the
market-droid wording must be a total turn off to most collectors.

---Mike

Old February 20th 04, 11:20 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Mike Berro wrote:

Actually, although I don't collect Campbell, it would be interesting to me
as an informational posting. Having a limited edition inscribed on the
limitation page is an interesting idea; I wonder if it's the first time?
Unfortunately, it *is* spam, and regardless of it's unsuitability, the
market-droid wording must be a total turn off to most collectors.

I was just going on the general principle that manufactured scarcities
hardly ever turn out to be truly collectible, backed up by a bit of checking
of some of Delirium's publications on ABE. The deluxe versions of Brian
Knight, Dragonfly and Hexes (26 copies printed) are going for $300, whereas
Delirium's asking $360 for the forthcoming Campbell. One dealer's offering
the other (100 copies printed) version of Knight's books at $110, and
several other dealers have rushed in pushing the price down to half that,
and now someone's offering them at under $50. I'm just wondering how low
they have to go before people actually buy them.

Still, there may be more to it than I'm seeing. Admittedly, I'm not familiar
with the material.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old February 20th 04, 11:21 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

michael adams wrote:

Its about time, its seems to me, that people who want to be made
objects of derision were treated like normal human beings, and not
simply made objects of derison and the butt of cheap jokes !

Absolutely! They should all be obliged to be treated with due respect and
deference.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old February 22nd 04, 01:09 AM
Mike Berro

I was just going on the general principle that manufactured scarcities
hardly ever turn out to be truly collectible, backed up by a bit of

checking

Oh. Well, it's undeniably true, but statistically speaking, ordinary first
editions hardly ever turn out to be collectible either. If one is both
judicious and lucky, one can amass a collection of limited editions that
rise in value, if such is one's goal.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

Old February 22nd 04, 11:00 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

I wrote:

I was just going on the general principle that manufactured scarcities
hardly ever turn out to be truly collectible, backed up by a bit of

checking

Mike Berro replied:

Oh. Well, it's undeniably true, but statistically speaking, ordinary first
editions hardly ever turn out to be collectible either.

But the publishers of ordinary first editions don't try to pretend
otherwise!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old February 22nd 04, 10:33 PM
Mike Berro

I wrote:

I was just going on the general principle that manufactured scarcities
hardly ever turn out to be truly collectible, backed up by a bit of

checking

Mike Berro replied:

Oh. Well, it's undeniably true, but statistically speaking, ordinary

first
editions hardly ever turn out to be collectible either.

But the publishers of ordinary first editions don't try to pretend
otherwise!

That's a bit unfair. At least limited editions truly are scarce, and you
know how many are published. Few small-press publishers claim that the value
will increase, although some point to certain examples. I'd say that
statistically (for genre books), the average limited edition depreciates
less than the average first edition (perhaps 50% compared to 99%.) However,
anyone who collects books for investment value deserves what they get.

On the other hand, there are those seemingly limitless states of "limited
editions" of Shadowmancer, touted by a single dealer, who this person had
found in the past to be reliable and honorable. What happened?

---Mike

Old February 23rd 04, 01:17 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Mike:

Oh. Well, it's undeniably true, but statistically speaking, ordinary
first editions hardly ever turn out to be collectible either.

Me:

But the publishers of ordinary first editions don't try to pretend
otherwise!

Mike:

That's a bit unfair. At least limited editions truly are scarce, and you
know how many are published. Few small-press publishers claim that the

value
will increase, although some point to certain examples.

You are doubtless right in general terms, but I was thinking of the OP and
the topic line of this thread!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old February 23rd 04, 02:53 AM
Mike Berro

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in
message ...
Mike:

You are doubtless right in general terms, but I was thinking of the OP and
the topic line of this thread!

"Collectible?" Even if the value drops 90% it's still collectible. grin

---Mike