Newbie- US Obsolete Note- Bank of Monroe 1864

Old September 19th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
MarvDaMartian

Default Newbie- US Obsolete Note- Bank of Monroe 1864

Hello- got this usenet group from an FAQ written in 1997.

Just looking for information on the rough value of an obsolete note I
found.

I have a $100 note issued by the Bank of Monroe, Michigan. From what
little research I've found in a day, this bank closed in the late
1830s/early 1840s, but this note was issued in 1864 or 1868 (writing is
ambiguous). I've read that bank notes from broken banks might have been
issued in the south during the civil war in place of less-trusted
confederate currency- is this possible?

Here's what I know about the note:

Number: 133
Denominiation: $100
Images: top center- 2 ladies on either side of an eagle, bottom center-
a leaping deer, middle right- portrait of James Monroe
Ink: black
Writing: Monroe the Bank of Monroe Promises to pay One Hundred dollars
to bearer on demand. 1864(1868?)
Signatures: P Hanfier | Wm. Southland | O. Ordlan (Pres)
Condition- I assume VG- it is obviously worn, and ragged around the
edges, but no stains, tears, or other marring.
There is nothing on the back of the note

Any help is appreciated. If it will help, I can scan the note and post
the image on my website.

Thanks!!

Old September 20th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
stonej

MarvDaMartian wrote:
[...]

From the Bowen book on Michigan obsolete notes:

Chartered March 29, 1827. Capital $100,00. President: John Anderson.
Cashier:
Stephen V. R. Trowbridge. Closed 1838. Office on Front Street.

As far as the 1864 or 1868 date it is possible it was a "remainder"
(non issued) note
and was sent to the south to circulate during the war and the dates
were falsely
filled in since the bank closed in 1838. More likely is that the
1868 date is
really 1838 (sometimes the ink fades over the years and the dates are
hard to
figure out with certainty.

Value? The note is rather scarce and in the well circulated condition
it is in it should
still be worth a few hundred dollars I would guess.