Vending machines at work

Old April 16th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Default Vending machines at work

One of the vending machines at work was being worked on the other day,
and I pointed out that one of them took dimes and nickels readily, but
had trouble with quarters and dollars, which were often accepted on
the twentieth try.

The fellow told me that the machine was about to be retired. The new
machine is in, and now accepts $5 bills, and gives change in $1 coins.

That left only the old Coke machine, which wouldn't take the $1
coins. He opened it up and dropped a dollar into the works and it
sold a Coke with no problem. So he got a file and made the coin slot
wider, and now all four machines accept dollar coins, and three of
them give them as change of a fiver.

I don't know whether they'll change a deuce, though, and am too cheap
to risk one to find out.

--
Stefano
"No matter where you go, there you are. But your luggage is in

Old April 16th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

If they accept and recognize $5 bills, they should either accept and recognize and credit
$2 bills or they will just spit them back out if that function is disabled.

If you verify that they accept $2s I can mail you some small stickers that state this as
well as some of the US Mint Golden Dollar stickers.

-Fred Shecter

http://www.sirius.com/

oups.com...

Old April 16th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Apr 16, 12:41�pm, "Stefano MacGregor"
wrote:
[...]

Don't you carry a couple deuces with you? Next time Vending Machine
Repairman drops in, tell him you want to try the deuce. If it works,
you'll know. If it doesn't, at least you'll be able to get your
change.

Jerry

Old April 16th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Stefano MacGregor wrote:
One of the vending machines at work was being worked on the other day,
and I pointed out that one of them took dimes and nickels readily, but
had trouble with quarters and dollars, which were often accepted on
the twentieth try.

The fellow told me that the machine was about to be retired. The new
machine is in, and now accepts $5 bills, and gives change in $1 coins.

That left only the old Coke machine, which wouldn't take the $1
coins. He opened it up and dropped a dollar into the works and it
sold a Coke with no problem. So he got a file and made the coin slot
wider, and now all four machines accept dollar coins, and three of
them give them as change of a fiver.

I don't know whether they'll change a deuce, though, and am too cheap
to risk one to find out.

I think that this will become more and more common as time passes and more and
more things sold in vending machines cost more than $1.

I like how that machine technician fixed the $1 coin non-accept situation on
that Coke machine.

;-)

BTW, if the machines won't take $2 notes, they'll just spit them back as
'unrecognized'.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old April 17th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Michael G. Koerner skribis:

I like how that machine technician fixed the $1 coin non-accept situation on
that Coke machine.

He used a file to make the slot wider. The electronics were there, he
just had an old front door.

--
Stefano
"No matter where you go, there you are. But your luggage is in Myrtle

Old April 17th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Fred Shecter skribis:

If you verify that they accept $2s I can mail you some small stickers that state this as
well as some of the US Mint Golden Dollar stickers.

I hope to be able to take you up on that offer.

--
Stefano
"No matter where you go, there you go. But your luggage is in Long

Old April 17th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Jerry Dennis skribis:

Don't you carry a couple deuces with you?

Well, yeah. Doesn't everyone?

Next time Vending Machine
Repairman drops in, tell him you want to try the deuce. If it works,
you'll know. If it doesn't, at least you'll be able to get your
change.

It's worth a try.

--
Stefano
"No matter where you go, there you are. But your luggage is in
Jackson Hole, Wyoming."

Old April 17th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alaska Larry

I just got finished doing a rebuild for the Alaska Safeway soda
machines. new displays and clean up, One of the new stickers I was to
put on the machines was that these machines do not accept $ Dollar
coins, I have went out of my way to make sure that they do accept and
vend for them and told the supplier this, they wanted me to put on the
stickers anyway ( I didn't ) Because machine supplier policy is the
coins are too much trouble for the people counting the change from the
machines
Also by default if you don't change the settings on any of the big three
bill acceptors they take ones twos and fives
Alaska Larry
Old April 17th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

Our Safeway stores (Vons) have the older machines which all got the stickers
in 2000 indicating they don;t accept dollar coins. They did this because the
price was really low (25 cents at one time for a can, now 50 cents) and
there was no bill validator. Since it did not accept bills, there was no
need for quarters in change, so they installed a long plug in the quarter
tube in the changer. If you inserted a dollar coin, it gave you credit for a
dollar and then you bought a soda and heard the machine click 3 times as it
tried to give you quarters in change when it had none available. All
quarters dropped into the change box.

If they now have bill validators, then they need to revise the policy.
Especially since Safeway distributes dollar coins nationwide at it's stores!

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

Old April 17th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_2_]

"Stefano MacGregor" wrote in message
oups.com...

"No matter where you go, there you are. But your luggage is in
Mukilteo, Washington."

That's just a mile or three away. Let me know if I can help you out.

WTD: CARD VENDING MACHINES John W. Shields Basketball 0 October 11th 06 08:05 PM
WTD: CARD VENDING MACHINES John W. Shields Baseball 0 October 11th 06 08:04 PM
used vending machines john Coins 0 August 8th 05 08:07 AM
Vending machines in Las Vegas NV Fred Shecter Coins 14 October 15th 04 05:24 AM
Vending machines in Las Vegas NV Fred Shecter Paper Money 0 October 12th 04 09:58 PM