Milk Spots on SAE's

Old November 10th 03, 02:49 AM
DONDI3

In article , "Bob Peterson"
writes:

"DFloyd" wrote in message
. 154.205...
"Bob Peterson" wrote in
:

rarity and condition are not the same thing. My guess is that as a
raw bullion coin of whatever year, a spot will make no difference in
the price.

If we are simply talking about bullion value you are correct, a spot would
not make a difference.

But, I believe a seller of an individual coin that is spotted will not get
the same price as someone selling an unspotted coin.

Since most of them sell for $7-8 each, I doubt it will make a whole lot of
difference.

The WHOLESALE range, according to the 11/7 grey sheet is from $6.55 to $23.50.
Bullion value as of Friday 11/7 is barely over $5. With a price range bewteen
130% of bullion to 465% of bullion price. While the coin is considered by some
as a "bullion coin" the fact is the American Silver Eagle, as well as the Gold
Eagle have, in fact, become a collectible coins...and any collectible coin's
price will be affected adversely if it is damaged, spotted or otherwise
impaired. Why would anyone pay the same for an impaired Silver Eagle as they
would for an MS65+?

You may continue to deny the defacto price ranges for various date of silver
eagles and/or fractional gold eagles, but many others are busy scarfing up the
better examples in hopes of future price appeciation and collectibility.
Bullion coins are coins which approach the price of bullion. While 30% over
melt maybe close to the upper limit of bullion surcharge, all silver eagles and
many fractional gold eagles exceed this price and that is sufficient to remove
them from the bullion category.

Typically, spotted silver eagles will sell well below the $1.30 premium. I've
seen them change hands in roll quantities at around 75c over spot. Better
dates, such as the 1986 and 1996 will bring higher prices than that, of course,
usually about 65-80% of "bid." That's yet another indicator that this is a
collectible coin and not a bullion coin.

dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old November 10th 03, 04:31 AM
Bob Peterson

"DONDI3" wrote in message
In article , "Bob Peterson"
writes:

"DFloyd" wrote in message
. 154.205...
"Bob Peterson" wrote in
:

[...]

It is true that a few pieces sell for well past the $7 or $8 range I quoted,
but most really don't sell for much more. I don't deny there are some that
have more of a premium, I did use the term MOST. For those that have a big
premium, there is going to be more of a difference. For most the difference
between a coin worth $8 and one worth $7 is not worth getting too upset
over.

Old November 10th 03, 04:57 PM
DONDI3

In article , "Bob Peterson"
writes:

It is true that a few pieces sell for well past the $7 or $8 range I quoted,
but most really don't sell for much more. I don't deny there are some that
have more of a premium, I did use the term MOST. For those that have a big
premium, there is going to be more of a difference. For most the difference
between a coin worth $8 and one worth $7 is not worth getting too upset
over.

Ok. sell me all your $8 coins for $7...;-)