OT I was an SOB tonight in another news group

Old November 5th 05, 12:59 AM
Cliff

Default OT I was an SOB tonight in another news group

Well, I feel like an SOB but I just peed all over someones wheaties.
There was all sorts of celebration in the alt.collecting.autographs
newsgroup about some seller on there meeting with ebay and getting
they word that ebay was going to bring in experts to clear up all the
shams and fake autographs being sold.
I reminded them that ebay joined with the ANA to clean up the fakes
and counterfeits off ebay and after, I believe, 2 years, there are
just as many fakes being sold.
If someone at ebay was listening to them they were getting lip service
only.
I marked this OT but it is really on topic since coins are one of the
biggest areas of fakes and counterfeits and no matter how many
national size companies and clubs get together, nothing is going to
cut into the ebay profit line.
Remember, ebay is just a venue.
Cliff

Old November 5th 05, 02:10 AM
stonej

It is best to give them the truth even if
it hurts a bit and deflates their balloon.

Old November 5th 05, 03:58 AM
Alan Cryder

they word that ebay was going to bring in experts to clear up all the
shams and fake autographs being sold.
If someone at ebay was listening to them they were getting lip service
only.

Are you sure about that? I read somewhere that an expert who sells and
authenticates autographs in the Bronx is close to signing a contract
with eBay to police those types of items. Don't remember his name. I
think it sounded Jewish.

Old November 5th 05, 04:38 AM
Cliff

On 4 Nov 2005 19:58:38 -0800, "Alan Cryder"
wrote:

they word that ebay was going to bring in experts to clear up all the
shams and fake autographs being sold.
If someone at ebay was listening to them they were getting lip service
only.

Are you sure about that? I read somewhere that an expert who sells and
authenticates autographs in the Bronx is close to signing a contract
with eBay to police those types of items. Don't remember his name. I
think it sounded Jewish.

The folks that are talking about this are big sellers on ebay. There
is no way you can sell stuff while you are deciding that the same
stuff being sold by another person is bad.
Further, there is no way one person can watch the 1000s of auctions
that go up everyday and decide which are real and which are not.
Again, ebay partnered with ANA and how many fakes do you see them
policing.
It's all hot air or an attempt at good PR.
Cliff

Old November 5th 05, 02:59 PM
Alan Cryder

The folks that are talking about this are big sellers on ebay. There
is no way you can sell stuff while you are deciding that the same
stuff being sold by another person is bad.
Further, there is no way one person can watch the 1000s of auctions
that go up everyday and decide which are real and which are not.
Again, ebay partnered with ANA and how many fakes do you see them
policing.
It's all hot air or an attempt at good PR.
Cliff

I think the guy's name was Simon. I'll try to find a link to the
article I read.

Old November 5th 05, 03:12 PM
Phil DeMayo

Alan Cryder wrote:
The folks that are talking about this are big sellers on ebay. There
is no way you can sell stuff while you are deciding that the same
stuff being sold by another person is bad.
Further, there is no way one person can watch the 1000s of auctions
that go up everyday and decide which are real and which are not.
Again, ebay partnered with ANA and how many fakes do you see them
policing.
It's all hot air or an attempt at good PR.
Cliff

I think the guy's name was Simon. I'll try to find a link to the
article I read.

Gee.,...you almost snuck this one by me.

The list of "pseudonyms" emanating from 209.173.189.218 in posts to
this newsgroup grows to at least 13 over the past couple of months:

Ronald Evans
David O'Grady
Larry Haines
Coinking
Alan Johnson
Karen Hughes
MartinB
troll from hell (newbie)
Lon Smith
Carl Dithers
Troll No.69
Ron Johnson
Alan Cryder

Old November 5th 05, 03:27 PM
Alan Cryder

Gee.,...you almost snuck this one by me.

The list of "pseudonyms" emanating from 209.173.189.218 in posts to
this newsgroup grows to at least 13 over the past couple of months:

snipped

What are you talking about? Everyone posting to Usenet newsgroups from
Adephia, Bright.net or Horizon in central Ohio gets filtered through
two IP gateways that are very close in frequency. I am located in
Troy, Ohio. You have listed one of them above. I believe the other
one is 209.173.189.216?