Concept coins

Old April 6th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

Default Concept coins

Please see link: http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/pres_2007.html

How often are "concept coins" commissioned? Is there any governmental
control over the process? I presume they have no official monetary
status; is that right? Any comments, historical info welcome as I
wasn't able to Google much on this. Thanks.

Old April 6th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

kathy1945 wrote:
Please see link: http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/pres_2007.html

How often are "concept coins" commissioned? Is there any governmental
control over the process? I presume they have no official monetary
status; is that right? Any comments, historical info welcome as I
wasn't able to Google much on this. Thanks.

In the case of Daniel Carr's designs that you have linked, those weren't
commissioned by the government. Carr simply sent those computer designs
to the government to show them what is possible with modern technology
in the design phase.

Ron Landis of the Gallery Mint Museum also has produced "concept coins",
minted to go along with his ideas for the introduction of the Sacagawea
dollar, but the minted coins were completely separate from any
government support:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smalldoll...ar/page17.html

Bernard von NotHaus, of the Royal Hawaiian Mint, made a similar
contribution:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smalldoll...ar/page20.html

Here's Carr's other, earlier, dollar designs:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smalldoll...r/page17a.html
Old April 7th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Edwin Johnston" wrote in message news:4616c93e$0$63101

Ron Landis of the Gallery Mint Museum also has produced "concept coins",
minted to go along with his ideas for the introduction of the Sacagawea
dollar, but the minted coins were completely separate from any government
support:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smalldoll...ar/page17.html

Wow, now that had powerful artistic merit and would have made a lovely
commemorative full size dollar. If the mint had a design like that, perhaps
they would have sold quite a few of them.

Old April 7th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Apr 6, 5:48�pm, "kathy1945" wrote:
Please see link:http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/pres_2007.html

How often are "concept coins" commissioned? Is there any governmental
control over the process? *I presume they have no official monetary
status; is that right? *Any comments, historical info welcome as I
wasn't able to Google much on this. *Thanks.

I would imagine a concept coin would also be considered a pattern coin
as well. Take a look at the $4 Stella or the Gobrecht dollar. I seem
to remember that the 1856 FE is also considered a pattern coin.
Perhaps, if you googled "pattern coins," you'd find more info.

BTW, Dan Carr has designed quite a number of SQs. I have heard he is
considering having some of them actually struck and will make them
available. I don't have ready access to the site, but some of his
"losing" designs were considerably better than what finally was
struck.

Jerry

Old April 7th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Apr 6, 8:24�pm, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

BTW, Dan Carr has designed quite a number of SQs. *I have heard he is
considering having some of them actually struck and will make them
available. *I don't have ready access to the site, but some of his
"losing" designs were considerably better than what finally was
struck.

.....and three of his designs for States Quarters were actually chosen
to be minted....New York, Rhode Island and Maine.

Old April 7th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:24�pm, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

BTW, Dan Carr has designed quite a number of SQs. �I have heard he is
considering having some of them actually struck and will make them
available. �I don't have ready access to the site, but some of his
"losing" designs were considerably better than what finally was
struck.

....and three of his designs for States Quarters were actually chosen
to be minted....New York, Rhode Island and Maine.

You can order Carr's alternate state quarters and parody state quarters
from his online sto
http://www.dc-coin.com/
And read about the state quarters that he actually had a hand in
designing on his design site:
http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/index.html

Great stuff -- I advise stocking up.
Old April 7th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Apr 6, 11:44?pm, Edwin Johnston wrote:
Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:24?pm, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

BTW, Dan Carr has designed quite a number of SQs. ?I have heard he is
considering having some of them actually struck and will make them
available. ?I don't have ready access to the site, but some of his
"losing" designs were considerably better than what finally was
struck.

....and three of his designs for States Quarters were actually chosen
to be minted....New York, Rhode Island and Maine.

You can order Carr's alternate state quarters and parody state quarters
from his online stohttp://www.dc-coin.com/
And read about the state quarters that he actually had a hand in
designing on his design site:http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/index.html

Great stuff -- I advise stocking up.

Thanks, Ed and Phil. I knew Dan had won three competitions but
couldn't remember which ones, other than NY. And the links Ed
provided are the ones I couldn't find for my previous post.

Jerry