Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

Old June 23rd 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Leo Marx

Default Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizra...efutation.html
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep.../christian.htm
http://www.pocm.info/
http://www.jesuspuzzle.com/

JAM
Old June 25th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gary[_4_]

On Jun 21, 1:01*am, "Brian Oakley" wrote:

If you bothered to listen to any Christian radio at all, you would have
heard 99.999 percent of it denouncing this "Pastor" and his "Church". ring
ring

Absolutely. That Westborough Baptist Church is not even a part of any
Baptist
fellowship or convention.
Old June 26th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

Default I rant, and I step down from my soapbox.

I see, cafeteria Christianity....

My word. you really *are* a total non-thinking automaton. You just lob
out a catch phrase even though it has no meaning in this context. I wish
you could somehow see yourself for what you really are.

Ill let you get your name calling in. As for wishing I could see myself for
what I am, I know what I am. The problem lies with YOUR idea of what I
SHOULD be, or how you WANT me to behave. Thats where the problem lies.

Old June 26th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

"PC" wrote in message
. ..

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

You forgot to add "in the name of intolerance" at the end.

No, I didnt forget. Ring ring goes the bigot bell here too I see.

So because I don't like intolerance that makes me a bigot? You are an odd
fellow...

Actually you do like intolerance. Youre tolerant until someone goes against
your grain.

Old June 26th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

If you bothered to listen to any Christian radio at all, you would have
heard 99.999 percent of it denouncing this "Pastor" and his "Church". ring
ring

The problem is that Phelps is using the same source material that you
are, the bible, and is as dogmatic as your group is. He selectively
picks bits from the bible and says they are the unerring truth while
ignoring contradictory bits from the same source. As you do.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Where in the Bible does it say to dishonor widows, and orphans? Anyone can
claim to be a Christian, but unless they truly attempt to follow in Chirsts
footsteps, then their walk is in question.

Old June 26th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

"Honus" wrote in message

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

tradition needs to match Scripture. I havent seen any Baptists burning
down any Catholic cathedrals in the last few years, have you Bruce?

It's kind of ironic. I can point to well-known instances in US history
of Catholics being murdered in the street and their churches burned
down, but none vice versa. Just a thought.

Murdered by whom? And as I recall, there have been an number of churches
burned down in the southern US as well. If we want to go back to the
Inquisitions and to the Reformation, I can see the reason why some might
feel anger toward Catholics, as misguided as it might be.

Sheesh...Catholics murdered by guys on your side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philade...Nativist_Riots

Continue your research (and thus your education) from there. And then you
can return me the favor by providing cites of Catholics burning down
Protestant churches...oh, you said the south..okay, make it Baptist
churches. I'd appreciate the good turn.

I see now. Wikipedia. That explains a LOT.

Old June 26th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

Some of the earliest fragments and parchments of the New
Testament can be placed around AD 50 or so, many before AD 90. Considered
a very short length of time in which to record such articles.

So there are no contemporary writings of Jesus. Just a few journal
scraps from biased individuals who likely weren't around when Jesus
reportedly spoke. Open-minded people somewhat like political party
spokespersons today.

Actually the Gospels WERE written by Jesus contemporaries. A FEW journal
scraps?? LOL
Bruce, the Apostle John wrote his Gospel around AD 90. He was definately a
contemporary of Jesus.

The only record that is identified by the church and the Fathers was
the Gospels. That is the only reliable record that cant really be
disputed by Biblical scholars. As for egotism, I believe you have an
incorrect idea of who you think Jesus knew He was. Jesus was the
incarnate God. If God insists on worship, then its not egotism, my
friend.

So how might I have ever developed that idea? A benevolent God might,
or might not, be humbled by such worship-- but he would not insist on
it.

That is an opinion.

As is all you are saying.

Not my opinion, the Bibles opinion.

It's your opinion that the Bible is accurate and literal.

It is accurate and literal in the parts that were intended to be taken
literal. The Bible has a lot of different types of writing, but
understanding its message is not hard, and need not be hyperbolised
unnecessarily. Can you show me somewhere where it is inaccurate?

You evidently dont know your Bible Bruce.

I'm not a bible person. When I was growing up, Catholic catechism did
not incorporate it much in teachings compared to other religions.
Except for the popular fables and stories which were sort of
entertaining.

A benevolent God DOES insist on it. He DESERVES it. He is the highest
of all. Why would we NOT want to worship Him? If Hes real Bruce, you
better get to know Him, otherwise youre wasting your time debating Him
if Hes not real.

I don't detect a smidgen of doubt there, do I? You almost sound a bit
afraid NOT to worship him. Perhaps for selfish reasons?

I think you think too highly of yourself. Especially your delusions of
extra sensory perception.

Why? You don't think I hit a nerve do you?

See above.

That is, for a lack of a better word, idiocy. Why would any
"intelligent" person who doesnt believe in God waste his short time on
earth arguing with those who do???? Doesnt that strike you
as......ridiculous????

Did you ever envision that shoe on the other foot?

No not really, because I have a reason to do so. YOU do not.

You're right. I don't. But you're just so much fun to bait and to read
the evangelical soundbites you respond with. You sure reinforce the
stereotype, you do.

Im sure I would to someone that is looking for a "stereotype".

Old June 26th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Oakley[_2_]

"The Mystic" wrote in message
I agree Jerry. The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They have
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a
Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

Muslims will come knocking on your door handing out Mohammed coins and
Korans. Just remember that it's not forcing you to convert to Islam.

Hey, thats fine. As long as I get to give them my info and show them
Scripture. Thats what a free country is all about.

Old June 26th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Honus" wrote in message

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You truly do have a reading problem. I said "Continue your research (and
thus your education) from there." It was clearly meant as a starting point.
Are you saying that since Wikipedia isn't the most authorative source that
nothing in it is accurate? Truly one of your more pathetic arguments
because -all- I used it for was to point out to you that there are
historical events in which Protestants killed Catholics in this country,
which you seemed to doubt IIRC. If you want to brush away as elemental and
verifiable fact as that because the source doesn't meet your high standards
while waving (of all things) -the Bible- at me, give me some advance notice
that I'm going to have to grab my ass with both hands to keep from losing it
when I laugh it off.

So we see that you ignored the first line of that paragraph of mine. Let's
examine the rest of, that you didn't ignore.

Oops. Oh well...I've love the sounds of crickets chirping, don't you?

I am truly glad that you're a Christian; if I had someone with your depth
and apologistic skill arguing my side of the coin, I do believe the shame
would cause me physical harm. Come back when you've got "game", boy.

Old June 26th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"The Mystic" wrote in message
I agree Jerry. The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They have
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a
Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

Muslims will come knocking on your door handing out Mohammed coins and
Korans. Just remember that it's not forcing you to convert to Islam.

Hey, thats fine. As long as I get to give them my info and show them
Scripture. Thats what a free country is all about.

You just simply just don't get it. If I shake my head in amazement any more
over you I'll have the beefiest neck muscles this side of...well, anyone you
care to name. Get this straight...the armed occupying soldier who, directly
against the expressed orders of his superiors, was passing out proselytizing
materials at a check point where the civilan population -had- to deal with
and recognize his authority was not in a free country. In a free country I
can take your scripture and wipe my ass with it. Would you be saying the
same thing you just did if the guy that came to your door was toting an
AK-47, had five fellow soldiers with him and on his uniform was wearing the
flag of the country that had set up a puppet government here after their
invasion of our land for our own good? And don't try to jump on me for not
supporting the troops or the war, because it won't work; we might have
invaded if -I'd- been President, just for different reasons...and with
different results. (Their most certainly would have been Iraqi blood
spilled.) It's head-up-the-ass idiocy like you're spouting that got us in
this mess in the first place.

Good job.

Coins of the Bible Jump Master[_2_] Coins 8 January 4th 08 02:39 AM
Value of old German Bible drhender Books 3 May 23rd 06 04:23 PM
Antique Bible chattykathy Books 2 October 27th 05 03:55 AM
1543 Bible Dick Stephens Books 1 July 28th 03 05:43 PM