MORE ALLEGED COIN FRAUD ON EBAY

Old January 27th 05, 08:40 PM
Arizona Coin Collector

Default MORE ALLEGED COIN FRAUD ON EBAY

Below are copies of three Internet auctions that clearly illustrate the
numismatic carnage that is taking place on the Internet due to the
alleged illegal activities of that woman in Boyce, Louisiana. She
continues, unabated, to purchase large quantities of 1898-S Morgan
dollars on eBay as buyer see32, allegedly alter them, and allegedly,
sell them as "altered" 1893-S dollars on Yahoo. The following is only
one example of the resultant.

THE FIRST IS AN AUCTION CURRENTLY RUNNING ON EBAY OFFERING AN ALTERED
1893-S MORGAN SILVER WHICH ALLEGEDLY WAS PURCHASED ON EBAY FOR $1025
AND IS BEING OFFERED FOR AN OPENING BID OF $199.00.

EBAY AUCTION NO. 3954357864 DETAILS:
************************************************** ************************************************** ******
1893 S Morgan VF-30 PCGA (May have been altered) Item number:
3954357864
Current bid: US $214.72
Time left: 4 days
7-day listing, Ends Jan-30-05 12:13:32 PST
Start time: Jan-23-05 12:13:32 PST
History: 2 bids (US $199.00 starting bid)
High bidder: jwdilligaf ( 285)
Seller information
gb26 ( 161)
Feedback Sco 161
Positive Feedback: 100%
Member since Jun-10-99 in United States
Description (revised)
For this auction I am selling an 1893 S Morgan VF-30 Silver Dollar.
Even though it is certified by PCGA (www.pcgaservices.com), I believe
that the coin has been altered (the "3" in 1893). I bought it on ebay.
You can see it in ebay auction number 3950198023. Sorry but I do not
have any better picture of it.

Should you bid and win the auction, you may return it to me but you
will have to pay a handling fee of 25% of the full purchase price.

Remember, I believe that the coin has been altered.

On Jan-25-05 at 17:26:37 PST, seller added the following information:

The coin is encapsulated in an older PCGA coin holder. There is a logo
in the bottom corner of the holder that looks like the globe seen in
Coin World. It cannot be opened otherwise you will ruin the holder.
Should you open the holder then I can not accept it for return.
************************************************** ************************************************** ******

THE SECOND IS THE REFERENCED EBAY AUCTION No. 3950198023 WHERE THE
SELLER ALLEGEDLY PURCHASED THE COIN THAT "MAY BE ALTERED"
APPARENTLY BELIEVING THAT $5000.00 COINS ARE READILY AVAILABLE ON EBAY
AT ABOUT 1/5th MARKET VALUE:

EBAY AUCTION NO. 3950198023 DETAILS:
************************************************** ************************************************** ******

Morgan Dollar 1893 S Certified VF30 by PCGA Item number: 3950198023
Winning bid: US $1,025.00
Ended: Jan-01-05 19:02:41 PST
Start time: Dec-31-04 19:02:41 PST
History: 2 bids (US $975.00 starting bid)
Winning bidder: gb26 ( 161)
Seller information
usmc12341 ( 1186)
Feedback Sco 1186
Positive Feedback: 99.1%
Member since Nov-30-00 in United States
1893 S rare date Certified by PCGA.. I have no idea who PCGA is...just
another grading company.. prefer payment via paypal but will accpet
mo or check. Winning bidder must contact me within 24 hours after end
of auction or I reserve the right to relist. Thank you and good luck.
note: all sales are final and please allow up to 10 days for delivery
although most will be received within a few days. I usually ship every
Thursday. all sales final
Seller's payment instructions:
No returns so please ask questions before you bid! Please allow up to
ten days for delivery before you email me. cannot be responsible for
altered, cleaned, whizzed, polished, damaged coins as that is not
always known. Please bid accordingly. please email me at
with questions. . this is also the paypal
payment address....FINAL GRADING IS YOUR DECISION AS OPINIONS MAY
DIFFER. THANK YOU
************************************************** ************************************************** ******

AND THE THIRD IS THE YAHOO AUCTION WHERE YAHOO BUYER "BRADYMYFRIEND"
THE VERY SAME COIN SHOWN IN THE ABOVE EBAY AUCTION FROM SELLER
"CAMO1950" THAT WAS VERY CAREFULLY AND SPECIFICALLY DESCRIBED AS AN
"ALTERED" 1893-S MORGAN DOLLAR.

YAHOO AUCTION NO. 88722067 DETAILS:
************************************************** ************************************************** ******

Yahoo! Auctions - Item Page Auctions Home
1893-S (ALTERED) MORGAN DOLLAR- LOOK!!!!!!
Current Bid: $275.00
Buy Price: $275.00
Time Left: Closed (Countdown Ticker)
Winner: bradymyfriend (98)

Available Qty: 1
# of Bids: 1 (Bid History)
Bid Increment: $2.50
Location: Boyce, LA
Opened: Dec 31 18:05 PST
Closes: Dec 31 18:52 PST
Starting Price: $249.99
ID #: 88722067
Shipping Price: $4.00
Price on this auction: $275.00
The coin you are bidding on is a (ALTERED) genuine morgan silver
dollar. This coin is not a 1893-S morgan dollar. It is a coin that has
been altered to look excactly like a 1893-S morgan silver dollar. If
you need a 1893-S morgan this coin will work very well. Look at the
pictures and make your own mind up as for grade and condition. Please
add $4.00 this includes S&H and INS. Thank you for looking and please
check out my other auctions.
************************************************** ************************************************** **********

Here's the deal:

(1) They're both the same coin, in the same holder.

(2) To date a lady from Boyce, Louisiana, has purchased a minimum of 58
1898-S Morgan Silver Dollars on eBay as buyer "see32" and has
allegedly sold a minimum of 61 altered 1893-S Morgan Silver Dollars, 15
that I know of on eBay as sell SEE32, and 46 on YAHOO as seller
CAMO1950. Check it out.

I have photos of most of the 98-S coins that she bought, along with
auction information, as well as photos and auction information on most
of her sales. As of right now, I have matched 4 of her Yahoo 1893-S
sales to eBay 1898-S purchases (the same coin as per photographs) and
there allegedly has been 5 altered coins (besides the subject)
re-listed on eBay in auctions that were stopped either by eBay after
protests, or voluntarily by the Seller after notification.

In one case the seller implied ignorance of the authenticity of the
coin after having bought the coin from SEE32 as advertised "altered" a
couple of weeks previous. He listed it with a $500.00 "Buy It Now"
price, and before a report could be sent to eBay, someone snapped it
up. The Buyer was then notified of what he bought, and he bailed out
of the transaction.

In a couple of others, what I call the "IDDANO" (I don't know)
auctions, where Sellers profess ignorance of the authenticity of the
coin, while at the same time offering it up dirt cheap, sometimes with
way low "Buy It Now" prices, eBay has responded to reports quite
readily and ended the auctions, BUT, my friends, those bogus coins are
still out there, and will continue to resurface.

I also have information on two eBay auctions wherein a Buyer paid
$12,500.00 for a complete set of morgan dollars and was selling the
93-S and 94-P coins only to discover that both (and maybe more) were
altered after being contacted. For those of you interested, he
purchased the set in eBay item #3951945438 and tried to sell it in eBay
item #3952996401. For those of you not interested enough to look, the
bid was up to $3,250.00 at the time the Seller closed this auction
after he was contacted. I suspect that maybe that coin has since been
dispensed with via some other venue, or hopefully, destroyed.

(3) When contacted, the Seller on eBay auction No. 3950198023, who
allegedly purchased the bogus 1893-S sold on Yahoo from
"camo1950" (who just happens to be also from Boyce, Louisiana, the
same as see32), claimed that the auction was voided and alleges that
the current eBay seller, "gb26" then contacted him outside of eBay
and purchased it at a much lesser price than the closed auction
indicates.

(4) Giving him the benefit of the doubt, then what is gb26's
motivation for now having that altered coin for sale on eBay? At first
glance it appeared to be just another example of the eBay "MUGGER"
mentality. I liken it to a description given me by a coin dealer who,
after uttering "SO WHAT?" when told of the alleged fraud taking place
on eBay, responded as follows:

"Dealing on eBay is like walking the streets of New York City late at
night in a bad neighborhood, you walk a block and you get mugged!
Wadda you do next? Well, you walk another block, AND MUG SOMEONE
ELSE!"

But who knows? He has been contacted, as well as reported to eBay, but
the beat goes on as of the time of this writing.
LIKEWISE, WHO CARES?

I DO, FOR ONE!

Old January 27th 05, 08:51 PM
jw_levelland

This distresses me. I generally have good luck on Ebay. I've bought
some really nice looking Morgans off sellers with high feedbacks. I
like ebay, like most of the sellers I do business with. I sure hate it
when Ebay management seems to ignore potential scammers.

Ebay, and other auction sites, make it easy for us time limited
individuals to flesh out our coin collections. We would otherwise have
to still go to the shows and coin dealers. I like digging through
pocket change and bank rolled coins, but for the older coins Ebay has
been my site of choice. I would hate to see the unscrupulous few ruin
online coin auction sites.

My 2c worth.

Old January 28th 05, 03:40 AM
Arizona Coin Collector

Yes, dealing with Wayne Presley in Baton Rouge. He's been sent all of
the information and maybe something is having effect, not sure, because
camo1950 has not listed any new bogus coins on Yahoo for the past three
days, and gb26 has closed his eBay auction. Unfortunately, I'm certain
that that coin will pop up again and again on eBay or Yahoo. Another
good sign, for now anyway, is that the lady in Boyce currently is not
bidding on any 1898-S Morgans as see32 on eBay. Either a lull in the
storm, or progress, thanks all.
Jerry