Lewis and Clark and good grief, that shipping box..

Old June 4th 04, 04:48 AM
Harv

Default Lewis and Clark and good grief, that shipping box..

I received a Lewis and Clark Coin And Currency Set from The Mint yesterday.
I don't know what kind of adhesive they're using for their brown outer
shipping cartons but good grief, you practically need a winch and high
explosives to open the thing.. there's no tear strip on it, so I carefully
used a cutter with about 1/8" of exposed very sharp blade to slice along the
long edge, not wanting to slice into it too deeply and touch the set with
the blade.

They also used red and white striped Security Tape around the circumferance
of the box, something I have never seen The Mint or their fulfillment
company do before.

Anyway, the Set itself is a little smaller than the box it comes in. I
pondered slitting its shrink wrap but since I have another one coming from
another source in a little while, I decided I'd open this one, and keep the
other one sealed and sell it when it shows up. Maybe sell this one later,
depending on what the prices do. They seem to be going on eBay from anywhere
from about $130.00 to $180.00 so far..

I opened the Set and examined all the stuff inside. Two long glossy
pamphlets with a lot of history that I haven't even read yet. The usual
tri-fold slick glossy Set format that the other Coin and Currency Sets have
come in.

So let's see, the Unc. Silver Dollar is an MS70. The two Nickels are Matte
Proofs. The Brass Buck is a mule. The reproduction $10.00 Bison Note is
printed off center. All three stamps are mis-perfs and the Silver plated
medal is reverse rotated 120 degrees.

And if you believe that, I have this bridge in Brooklyn you might be
interested in..

Anyway, it's a nicely produced Set. The Silver Dollar could be a 70 on a
good day, but I haven't louped it. The Nickels look better than typical Mint
Set quality. The Brass Buck is the first 2004 I've seen. At least it wasn't
covered with ugly brown spots like so many of them are that come from The
Mint. Is it "Burnished" like the Millennium Coin And Currency Set's coin
was??.. Who knows.. I'll wait for the magazine writers to declare anything
special about it and the Nickels. The Medal is mounted on the front of the
Set.

All together, a nicely done presentation. Is it worth $90.00??.. I think if
the Buffalo Coin and Currency Set hadn't sold out in four days a few years
ago, this would have been a $55.00 purchase too.

What's encouraging to me is that The Mint cut back all orders over ten of
these to ten of these.. after the fact. If that means that the big dealers
who would have ordered hundreds, and probably did, only get ten of them,
then no one gets more than ten of them, no matter how many they ordered..
and that could do to the aftermarket prices of these what it did to 1999-S
Silver Proof Sets.. or not..

Say you're Joe Big Time Dealer and you placed an order for 200 Sets, as soon
as they went on sale. Since there was no ordering limit, you figure you're
going to get them. Then the Sets sell out in six days and you find out that
your order for 200 has been cut back to ten. They're sold out so you can't
order anymore.

Just musing on the possibilities..

Harv

Old June 4th 04, 05:17 AM
Michael Ng

I haven't got mine yet. Somehow, according to the postal service website,
it's stuck in the Bell, CA holding facility for a while. I got the standard
shipping option. People should be more clear when they say, "Standard
shipping". I always thought standard shipping meant First Class. Now I
know it means Parcel Post. For $4.95 shipping, they should send it first
class.

-- Mike

Old June 4th 04, 05:30 AM
Marsellus Wallace

"Michael Ng" wrote in message
I haven't got mine yet. Somehow, according to the postal service website,
it's stuck in the Bell, CA holding facility for a while. I got the

standard
shipping option. People should be more clear when they say, "Standard
shipping". I always thought standard shipping meant First Class. Now I
know it means Parcel Post. For $4.95 shipping, they should send it first
class.

-- Mike

For $4.95 they could send one set Priority Mail. Or First Class. My single
Set also said "Standard Shipping." Who knows what that means. They used to
call Book Rate Library Rate. Or was it the other way around. Then they
changed it to Media Mail. Obviously, this isn't Media Mail, although it
contains coins AND booklets, so maybe it is.

I ordered a DVD from Amazon last month. Paid for "Standard Shipping" and it
came from Nevada and I got it in two days in So. Calif. I thought that was
pretty remarkable. I've had Media Mail take two WEEKS to get to me from
various places.

Is Parcel Post now called "Standard Shipping"??..

The box has three labels on it. One is a USPS Delivery Confirmation barcode
label but there's a small sticker with another bar code and my Zip Code
covering up part of the Delivery Confirmation number.

The other label to the right of that is an "RR DONNELLY STANDARD" computer
generated label with yet another bar code and a different number below that
than the Delivery Confirmation Number. Two smaller bar codes at the top
which I have no idea what they are for. Yes, the box actually has four
separate barcodes on it. It was shipped from "Fulfillment Center" in
Memphis, TN, which I believe is Fedex's facility where The Mint has
warehouse space and stores their stock. If you order over $100.00 worth of
stuff, it goes out Fedex. If you order less than $100.00 worth of stuff it
goes out by this "Standard Shipping" whatever that is.

One of these Sets including shipping is $94.95 so it just misses the $100.00
mark.

Someone should write a book about the inner workings of the USPS. If anyone
actually understands how it works. I got my May 31nd issue of Coin World on
Saturday. Sitting underneath it in my mailbox was my May 24rd issue. Go
explain that.

Well hang in there.. yours will show up some day.. but get the TNT and the
blasting caps ready to get that box open..

Harv

Old June 4th 04, 07:40 AM
Marsellus Wallace

"Henry Mensch" wrote in message
Marsellus Wallace wrote:
-If you order over $100.00 worth of
-stuff, it goes out Fedex. If you order less than $100.00 worth of stuff

it
-goes out by this "Standard Shipping" whatever that is

i don't think this is still true ... my three sets (well over $100)
arrived by usps.

Well then they changed the rules yet again..

Thanks for the correction..

Did yours say "Standard Shipping" on them and come in one big box or three
of those impossible to open boxes strapped together??..

Harv

Old June 4th 04, 07:45 AM
Henry Mensch

--
# henry mensch / henare systems / san francisco, ca
# http://www.henare.tk/
Old June 4th 04, 09:36 AM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

Marsellus Wallace wrote:

The other label to the right of that is an "RR DONNELLY STANDARD" computer
generated label with yet another bar code and a different number below that
than the Delivery Confirmation Number. Two smaller bar codes at the top
which I have no idea what they are for. Yes, the box actually has four
separate barcodes on it. It was shipped from "Fulfillment Center" in
Memphis, TN, which I believe is Fedex's facility where The Mint has
warehouse space and stores their stock. If you order over $100.00 worth of
stuff, it goes out Fedex. If you order less than $100.00 worth of stuff it
goes out by this "Standard Shipping" whatever that is.

Big warehouse in Memphis? I tracked my L&C Dollar and it seemed to start
life at the RR Donnelly facility outside Chicago. That's a mighty big
jump from Memphis to Chicago in zero time. If I were to track the L&C
C&C I just received would the tracking show me the same thing? The
return address on the boxes was indeed Tennesee, but I don't believe it.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
Old June 4th 04, 01:03 PM
Ed Kelley

A wise man (dealer) would have placed orders thru his employees so that he
could get more than 10 sets g.

Old June 4th 04, 01:04 PM
Scottishmoney

I had to use an old and very very sharp knife that was designed to cut the
clanger off of bulls to open this set. It was the worst box I have ever had
to open. I have gotten packages from ebay sellers that were difficult, but
this took the prize.

Dave

--

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
"Harv" wrote in message
I received a Lewis and Clark Coin And Currency Set from The Mint

yesterday.
I don't know what kind of adhesive they're using for their brown outer
shipping cartons but good grief, you practically need a winch and high
explosives to open the thing.. there's no tear strip on it, so I carefully
used a cutter with about 1/8" of exposed very sharp blade to slice along

the
long edge, not wanting to slice into it too deeply and touch the set with
the blade.

They also used red and white striped Security Tape around the

circumferance
of the box, something I have never seen The Mint or their fulfillment
company do before.

Harv

---

Old June 4th 04, 01:55 PM
Richard L. Hall

Mine were sent parcel post but they arrived the day after they were shipped.
But, of course, this is Virginia only a hop step and a jump from Tennessee
where they were shipped from.

Everything looked pretty good except for the 2004-D Sac which looked like it
was run over by a truck and then coated in oil. I'd send it back for a
replacement, but ...

--
Richard
A thought: Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of

Old June 4th 04, 03:45 PM
Marsellus Wallace

"Ed Kelley" wrote in message
A wise man (dealer) would have placed orders thru his employees so that he
could get more than 10 sets g.

I'm sure some dealers did, but since there was no announced limit of ten
Sets per order ahead of time, it still makes me wonder how many dealers who
would ordinarily order hundreds will actually get. I guess we'll know when
the ads start hitting the magazines. I've only found one ad so far that
didn't say "Call for Price" that had it at $199.00..

Does anyone out there have an issue of Coin World with a cover date newer
than 31th May, 2003, with dealer display ads listing prices for this Set
yet??.. If so, which dealers, and what are their prices like??..

Harv