1797 Bust Dollar on Coin Vault

Old March 9th 04, 04:51 AM
Keith Fletcher

Default 1797 Bust Dollar on Coin Vault

OK, Bob Chambers finally showed me a coin I drooled over. 1797 Bust Dollar
PCGS XF40 with a super strike and uniform gold toning. Very lovely.

$15,000, FYI.

--K

Old March 9th 04, 06:07 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:51:01 GMT, "Keith Fletcher"
wrote:

OK, Bob Chambers finally showed me a coin I drooled over. 1797 Bust Dollar
PCGS XF40 with a super strike and uniform gold toning. Very lovely.

$15,000, FYI.

Fifteen grand for a skinny pigeon of an eagle? g It's interesting
though seeing what makes others drool, and I can see how this coin
would do this. But for me it's not rarity. And I can't get excited
over some obscure variety that you need a magnifying glass to see. I
don't see the point either of spending big for ultrahigh grades of
recent coins for Registry Set "prestige." Completing a set just to
complete it is a yawn. To me it's history combined with beauty. But to
each his own, of course. Once you buy this 1797 you should send an
image to John's RCC Favorites site. g

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old March 9th 04, 08:52 PM
Shystev99

OK, Bob Chambers finally showed me a coin I drooled over. 1797 Bust Dollar
PCGS XF40 with a super strike and uniform gold toning. Very lovely.

$15,000, FYI.

--K

I must have missed it last night. That's what I get for trying to watch the
Coin Vault and Wrestling at the same time. lol
Thats what I hate about Monday nights.
I hear they are going to start a Thursday night show for the Coin Vault now to.
That will probably conflict with wrestling to. lol

Also heard em say May 15th will be coin vault for 24 full hours. The way they
have been claiming they are selling items out though I suspect they will only
have inventory for 12 hours.
Steve
Old March 10th 04, 12:13 AM
Gary Loveless

wrote:

OK, Bob Chambers finally showed me a coin I drooled over. 1797 Bust Dollar
PCGS XF40 with a super strike and uniform gold toning. Very lovely.

$15,000, FYI.

--K

and with strech-pay you can do it for 3 payments of $5000
each!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Old March 10th 04, 02:40 PM
Gary Matczak

no,no,no,..................on this one it's "Five
Pay"............................LOL

Old March 11th 04, 06:11 PM
Gary Loveless

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:40:51 -0500, "Gary Matczak"
wrote:

no,no,no,..................on this one it's "Five
Pay"............................LOL

.. .
wrote:

OK, Bob Chambers finally showed me a coin I drooled over. 1797 Bust

Dollar
PCGS XF40 with a super strike and uniform gold toning. Very lovely.

$15,000, FYI.

--K

and with strech-pay you can do it for 3 payments of $5000
each!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

I watch the show here and there just to see the coins.........I cannot
BELIEVE the prices that they charge and the suckers that are willing
to pay it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

'Can i put this 3x face value purchase or your credit card??'

Old March 12th 04, 09:45 PM
Miles Carson

I don't see the point either of spending big for
ultrahigh grades of recent coins for Registry Set
"prestige." Completing a set just to complete it is a
yawn. To me it's history combined with beauty.

Extremely well-put. Turn-Key coin collecting?

"Get'em all in one call?"

"Buy'em today and salt them away?"

For what ... for the comfort of knowing you had them?

Where's the value in buying completed collections of anything you
didn't lovingly assemble on your own, or somehow being convinced that
coin collecting is all about a race to pay shameless prices to hoard
registered metal objects never intended for use as real money, or even
to be touched by human hands?

And for a long as the passion has lingered in the hearts of men,
doesn't it seem odd that NGC and PCGS (founded by the same party) are
callng all the shots after only 17 years in operation, and that Shop
At Home began airing the CON Vault at right about the same time?

I fact, I wonder if NGC monograms the replacement
knee-pads Robert Chambers works so hard to wear out?

I'll have to email and ask him sometime.
Old March 13th 04, 06:45 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On 12 Mar 2004 12:45:42 -0800, (Miles Carson)
wrote:

Extremely well-put. Turn-Key coin collecting?

"Get'em all in one call?"

"Buy'em today and salt them away?"

For what ... for the comfort of knowing you had them?

Thanks. It's interesting thinking about motivations, what motivates
collectors. This has been discussed here before, of course, but it's a
core issue.

Much of collecting has to do I think with an innate drive to acquire
and store, to salt away as you say, as humankind has done for
millennia in preparation for harsh winters or an impending siege or
whatever.

But there can also be a quality of obsessive-compulsiveness to some
types of collecting, I think. Not among all collectors or even most or
many, but I think this can crop into it.

My view is that appreciating is every bit a rewarding, or more so,
than acquiring. This is the approach I take anyway (to each his own).
Sure, there's the thrill of the hunt, but there's also the attraction
of learning background information about the coin, the circumstances
of its minting, the people who minted it, and so on. And there's the
glom, the in-the-moment awe from appreciating the coin's history and
aesthetics.