Nib polishing with a copper penny

Old January 6th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default Nib polishing with a copper penny

Here's a safe, easy, simply way to polish your nibs. As always, try
this on a junker first.

Get an old copper penny (pre-1982) and turn it obverse side up on some
paper. The obverse has the Lincoln memorial. The columns of the
memorial make an excellent polishing surface. Zinc pennies aren't as
hard and don't work so well.

There are two ways to polish a nib with this surface. The first way
will polish horizontally to the nib, and the second vertically. The
first way is best, but the second way is also useful and necessary to
ensure an even polish.

For the first way, position the penny with the columns vertical so they
form a ladder. Hold the pen perpendicular to the ladder at a steep 45
degree angle (or whatever angle you use in writing) and rund the nib
lightly over the ladder a few hundred times. Apply no pressure
whatever, unless the pen is unusually light; most pens are heavy enough
to supply enough pressure from their own weight. It is best to polish
with the pen inked, so you can check your progress. Have some paper
towelling handy to clear excess ink from the penny. Also lightly touch
the nib to the towelling after each polishing sequence to clear excess
ink from the nib.

For the second way, rotate the penny until the ladder of the columns is
horizontal, and run the nib from left to right over the ladder (NOT
from right to left or you will damage the tines). If you are
left-handed, hold the nib with your left hand instead, and run the nib
from right to left. Repeat the action several hundred times, applying
no pressure.

Of course, this technique will not make a scratchy nib smooth if the
tines are out of alignment, but if they are in alignment (see my other
posts on this topic) this polishing with a penny can create a
mirror-smooth finish within 10 minutes or so, and is much safer for
beginners than the sandpaper-with-water method.

A note on tine alignment: In a previous post I was scolded for using
nail-clippers to align tines. I admit that tweezers are safer, even if
less precise. I believe that such things as rubber-padded tweezers
exist, and these might be best of all for working on expensive pens.
But fingers are too clumsy for this, especially if the nib is slightly
splayed, and one of the tines must be bent inwards or outwards to
achieve correct ink flow. For beginners an even better method to raise
tines is to simply put the nib to a stack of paper, and rotate the nib
slightly, to the left if the lower tine is on the left, and to the
right if the lower tine is on the right. Then VERY GENTLY push down
SLIGHTLY.This method is at least as accurate as visually inspecting the
tines or even my //// \\\\ method, because some nibs seem to actually
work better with one tine slightly lower (typically the left tine for
right-handed people, the right tine for left-handed people). You will
notice at once when you have the tines aligned for your own writing
style - there will be a marvelous increase in smoothness. At first
you may have to tinker with the pen for several hours to achieve
exactly the right tine alignment, but with a little practice (and
perhaps several ruined pens) you can do this in five minutes..

If the tines are bent too far up, there will more ink flow (until they
splay, when no ink flow will be present at all), whereas if they are
bent too low, ink flow will be too little. For the former case, simply
turn the pen over so the top of the nib is against the paper, and press
gently. for the latter case, put the nib to the paper in normal writing
position, and press down gently.

Old January 7th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

virgiliopoeta wrote:

For beginners an even better method to raise
tines is to simply put the nib to a stack of
paper, and rotate the nib slightly, to the left if
the lower tine is on the left, and to the
right if the lower tine is on the right. Then VERY
GENTLY push down SLIGHTLY.This method is at least
as accurate as visually inspecting the tines....

Who else recommends aligning tines this way? I would never attempt work
on a nib without first visually inspecting it. I've never heard anyone
or read anything recommending aligning tines without first visually
inspecting them.

... some nibs seem to actually work better with
one tine slightly lower (typically the left tine
for right-handed people, the right tine for left-
handed people). You will notice at once when you
have the tines aligned for your own writing style
- there will be a marvelous increase in
smoothness. ...

If either tine is even slightly lower than the other, the nib is going
to feel scratchy regardless of handedness. That's because the nib
travels in many different directions (not just one direction) during
writing regardless of which hand you use to write (unless, of course,
all you do is draw straight lines all of which go from left-to-right or
right-to-left). If the left tine is lower than the right tine, the left
tine will dig into the paper and create a very unpleasant, scratchy feel
on left-to-right strokes regardless of which hand you use to effect that
stroke. If the right tine is lower than the left tine, the right tine
will dig into the paper (thus creating a very scratchy feel) on right to
left strokes. Doesn't matter what hand you write with.

How can an out-of-alignment nib ever write smoother than a properly
aligned nib given that a nib travels in many different directions during
normal writing? I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on this. --

Old January 7th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Oh, thank you, that is fantastic and works so well. I always wanted to
know a simple and safe way to smooth a nib and now thanks you to you I have
found a method. Thanks so much for sharing this information.
oups.com...

Old January 7th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

virgiliopoeta wrote:
: Here's a safe, easy, simply way to polish your nibs. As always, try
: this on a junker first.

: Get an old copper penny (pre-1982) and turn it obverse side up on some
: paper. The obverse has the Lincoln memorial. The columns of the

Slight correction: the obverse is the side with Lincoln's head; the
reverse is the side with the memorial.

Of the efficacy of the procedure, I make no judgment.

--
Al B. Wesolowsky o NC: "This is MY kinda road!"
Boston University o KE: "Wow, you really are Neal Cassady!"
Old January 8th 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

BL a écrit :

virgiliopoeta wrote:

[...]

First, I must apologize for not replying directly to you in the
to reply.

Your theory sounds very logical and indeed perfect to me, and I always
assumed that the tines should be on an exact level, but experience has
taught me different. Perhaps some writers prefer to hold the pen at a
slight angle vis-a-vis the tines, or perhaps some styles of writing
encourage this. I would say that a 'properly aligned nib' is whatever
feels smoothest to the individual writer.

I would be interested to know how the mechanics adjusted tines in the
old days. Did they use a loupe? Or did they just adjust the tines until
the nib felt smoothest on paper? I suspect the latter. After all, time
was at a premium, and results, not theory, were what would impress a
demanding customer in a store, who was accustomed to high writing
quality even in cheap pens. Today of course, unbelievably bad-writing
but very expensive pens are commonplace in the market..

Old January 9th 06, 01:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Aw shucks...

Old January 9th 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

(second post to BL, hope the first got through)

Your point about left vs right handers is interesting. You can almost
always tell if a pen has been used by a leftie, as the wear will be on
the side opposite to that of a rightie. I had a hyper-smooth old
Marlowe like this, that I (a rightie) couldn't use because it wrote
only if turned half-way over on its side. I'm not sure, but maybe this
will have an effect on how the nib should be adjusted. I know that
there are such things as left-handed pens, but perhaps only for italics?

Old January 9th 06, 02:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Thanks. I know the difference, but not always when I first get up in
the morning...

Old January 9th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Old January 9th 06, 03:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

How can an out-of-alignment nib ever write smoother than a properly
aligned nib given that a nib travels in many different directions during
normal writing? I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on this. --

First, I must apologize for not replying directly to you in the
to reply. Even this reply appears to have gone missing somewhere.
Luckily I saved it.