Scratching my head... ???

Old March 31st 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Scratching my head... ???

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

At the risk of being classified as a loony by 2/3 of the readership here
(not that I haven't already been), here's the OT significance: In the
1950s
a comedian named Stan Freberg made a series of comic recordings (all on
78RPM at my house). One of them was a two-sider titled "Christmas
Dragnet"
(young whippersnappers know nothing of the TeeVee show he was spoofing, I
wager). It had to do with a guy named Grudge who didn't believe in Santa
Claus. The number of the case on the police blotter was
four-oh-nine-six-three-two-five-dash-oh-nine-six-seven-oh-four. I
thought
it was a cool number, and committed it to memory. Every now and then it
surfaces, as it did in my post.

I had a copy of Freberg's "St. George and the Dragon-net" on 45rpm. That
was a big deal with the kids when it first came out. And wasn't it him
who did a couple other "narration" records in the mid-late 1950's where
Martians were attacking the world, the gimmick being the use of clever
clips from current rock recordings in response to interviews.

bruce

It was terrible. He breathed fire on me. He boined me already...

No, it wasn't Freberg who did those compilation Martian-attack records, but
I had a bunch of 'em. However, he did do a routine called the
Honey-Earthers (a spoof of the Honeymooners) on a 78 and, probably, a 45.

Mr. Jaggers
'but not on a cylinder'

Old March 31st 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"bri" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Is it still 30 bucks to get one of these slabbed? Boy! I just spent
one
like
this a month ago.

http://tinyurl.com/jye8a

Maybe that was for a lowest grade registry set but PCGS screwed up and
overgraded it? Or not--maybe they on purpose want a low population for
lowest grades? How hard is it to find a really low grade Merc that could
get
inside a PCGS slab? The reverse just looks VG to me. I bet it's really
hard
to get a very low grade Merc inside a PCGS slab--I would think they're
all
damaged up too bad in that low of a grade.

Some collectors just like to have their whole collection slabbed for what
they perceive as uniformity, security, etc. It may be the only pleasure
they get out of life, so who is PCGS to deny them? Also, there are estate
executors who suggest wholesale slabbing of a collection for whatever
similar reasons.

As for the grade, there are tons of VG Mercs that are problem-free - the
catch-phrase is "just honest wear."

Mr. Jaggers

i enjoy a box of honestly worn coins more than a stack of
slabs.

Even though I own a few slabs, I'm with you, e. There's just something
about tumbling the coins in one's hand, isn't there?

Mr. Jaggers

Old March 31st 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

Ahhhh. Arnold Stang lives!!

No, it wasn't Freberg who did those compilation Martian-attack records, but I
had a bunch of 'em. However, he did do a routine called the Honey-Earthers (a
spoof of the Honeymooners) on a 78 and, probably, a 45.

Mr. Jaggers
'but not on a cylinder'

Ahhhh, again! The Flying Saucer. Buchanan & Goodman, June 1956. "This is
John Cameron Cameron, downtown....."

(Google is our friend. http://www.chuckthewriter.com/goodman.html to see the
lyrics.)

Hmmmm. Honey-Earthers is a new one on me. But I would have thought that
Gleason's Honeymooners would have become popular well after 78rpm's had been
phazed out. The last pop music 78's I remember buying were early-mid 1950's.

Bruce

Old March 31st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wow. That has to be competition for the large batch of slabbed, heavily
circulated clad Kennedys that was for auction a year or so ago.

Who knows, maybe some kid asked his dad to slab it or something, and he did
it as a favor for the kid. I have slabbed some ancients that it did not
make monetary sense to slab because I have a strong sense of stewardship
towards them (I figure if they lasted two thousand years they are not gonna
get ruined on my watch.)

--K

Old March 31st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"fletch" offered some food for thought with:
... I have slabbed some ancients that it did not make monetary sense to
slab because I have a strong sense of stewardship towards them (I figure
if they lasted two thousand years they are not gonna get ruined on my
watch.)

Excellent thinking on your part, Fletch!

Señor Amistad
'stewardship is important in many areas of life'

CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM