Scratching my head... ???

Old March 30th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Scratching my head... ???

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Is it still 30 bucks to get one of these slabbed? Boy! I just spent one

like
this a month ago.

http://tinyurl.com/jye8a

Maybe that was for a lowest grade registry set but PCGS screwed up and
overgraded it? Or not--maybe they on purpose want a low population for
lowest grades? How hard is it to find a really low grade Merc that could get
inside a PCGS slab? The reverse just looks VG to me. I bet it's really hard
to get a very low grade Merc inside a PCGS slab--I would think they're all
damaged up too bad in that low of a grade.

Old March 30th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"bri" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Is it still 30 bucks to get one of these slabbed? Boy! I just spent
one

like
this a month ago.

http://tinyurl.com/jye8a

Maybe that was for a lowest grade registry set but PCGS screwed up and
overgraded it? Or not--maybe they on purpose want a low population for
lowest grades? How hard is it to find a really low grade Merc that could
get
inside a PCGS slab? The reverse just looks VG to me. I bet it's really
hard
to get a very low grade Merc inside a PCGS slab--I would think they're all
damaged up too bad in that low of a grade.

Some collectors just like to have their whole collection slabbed for what
they perceive as uniformity, security, etc. It may be the only pleasure
they get out of life, so who is PCGS to deny them? Also, there are estate
executors who suggest wholesale slabbing of a collection for whatever
similar reasons.

As for the grade, there are tons of VG Mercs that are problem-free - the
catch-phrase is "just honest wear."

Mr. Jaggers

Old March 30th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:52:02 -0600, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Right.

Is that an agreement "right" or a condescending "right"? If the latter,
I'll have to whack you with my cane. That is, if I can see well enough
on
that particular day.

Look, dammit. I know when I'm dealing with someone with superior
knowledge and experience. This is one of those times. Sarcastic as I
am, the respect is heart-felt.

Thanks, I'll take a compliment where I can get one!

Ah. I thought maybe you'd be working off the hair (no) detail in the
front since the back is pictured even more poorly?

In my day it was all about the reverse. It still is, if you're trying to
sell Mercurys to any dealer you care to name. No sticks, no fine.
Simple
as that.

Fair enough. I've tried to link that "v" wiht the sticks with limited
success.

But remember, Dave, I'm just an old
curmudgeon whose time has come and gone.

How soon until I can become a curmudgeon, please? It's a goal of mine.
Also, how does that relate to "dirty old man", I hope there's overlap
between the two categories. If not, I'll have to pick one and that'll
be tough.

You can become both right now. I'll sponsor you. And there's plenty of
overlap of those two qualities!

Excellent. I am so, so pleased. Probably also would be if I were
completely sober at the moment, which I am not.

'now, if I can just find my shawl'

Hey you damn kids, get off my lawn. How's that?

It pleases me to inform you that you've been approved by the Board of
Directors. Your membership number is 4096325-096704.

Sweet... Any significance to that number, or so I need to derive same
myself?

At the risk of being classified as a loony by 2/3 of the readership here
(not that I haven't already been), here's the OT significance: In the 1950s
a comedian named Stan Freberg made a series of comic recordings (all on
78RPM at my house). One of them was a two-sider titled "Christmas Dragnet"
(young whippersnappers know nothing of the TeeVee show he was spoofing, I
wager). It had to do with a guy named Grudge who didn't believe in Santa
Claus. The number of the case on the police blotter was
four-oh-nine-six-three-two-five-dash-oh-nine-six-seven-oh-four. I thought
it was a cool number, and committed it to memory. Every now and then it
surfaces, as it did in my post.

Lemme see, 78RPM shellac records are flat discs with a hole in the center,
and have two sides. Coins often have that aspect, also. So there, we're
back on topic!

It's funny...until someone mentions their age or refers to it, I get
this mental image of each person I converse with being about the same
age I am. Odd, that. Ira, I see as an esteemed elder. "e", I figure,
is in his late 20s. You, I had pegged for 40-ish but I may be wrong.
Doesn't make a damn bit of difference, but funny how the brain wants to
categorize things, even without evidence.

I do the same thing, complete with a mental mug shot. Some of them aren't
pretty. As for me, 40-ish is, well, in the rear-view mirror.

/me done rambling for tonight at least

Your comments are always enjoyable, Dave, and serve to keep us honest around
here. Keep up the good work.

Mr. Jaggers

Old March 30th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"bri" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Makes one wonder how a coin could experience "dishonest" wear, and why?

I have a circ set of Mercs in an old Library of Coins album, with the typical
two empty holes-- one in the first page, the other in the last. I now wonder if
I were to ever to obtain a PCGS-slabbed VG 1916-D, for uniformity, should I
crack it out to match the others or have the others slabbed by PCGS to match the
1916-D? Maybe the seller in this auction chose the latter and has since
changed his mind.

Bruce

Old March 30th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce Remick" cogently opined in the following statement:
Actually, my scratching wasn't due to the grading, per se, but in why
someone would spend up to $30 to slab a common circ coin worth a buck or
two at best.

I guess folks have differing motives for having a coin slabbed, Bruce. I
had ANACS to slab an XF Shield Nickel for me that is worth about 35 to 40
dollars at most. (It's the one with all the die cracks that I posted a link
to last Fall here in the group.) Even though it is not a high-dollar coin,
I desired to preserve it in this manner... one day to have it passed down to
my son, who is anxious to have it. :-)

Señor Amistad
'different strokes for different folks'

Old March 30th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

[...]

Congratulations, Dave, on becoming an official curmudgeon! I can only
aspire to that esteemed title, sometime in the future.

How old are you, anyway? Or, should I not ask. Nevermind. I'll just keep
that mental image for a while.

You are right, though - the mind does create mental images of the people
we're talking to. Actually, I usually picture anyone who calls
themselves 'old curmudgeon' to be in the 60ish range. Maybe my brain is
a bit off. I've been told that before.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

It's these damn headaches, I tell ya!

Old March 30th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 30 Mar 2006 13:52:16 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in
:

It's funny...until someone mentions their age or refers to it, I
get this mental image of each person I converse with being about
the same age I am.

Congratulations, Dave, on becoming an official curmudgeon! I can only
aspire to that esteemed title, sometime in the future.

Words cannot express my gratitude at acheiving this milestone in my
life.

How old are you, anyway? Or, should I not ask. Nevermind. I'll just keep
that mental image for a while.

Well, let's just say that coins of my birthyear don't have mintmarks.

You are right, though - the mind does create mental images of the people
we're talking to. Actually, I usually picture anyone who calls
themselves 'old curmudgeon' to be in the 60ish range. Maybe my brain is
a bit off. I've been told that before.

I'm doing recon to future decades.

By the way, I'm kind of regretting selling so much of my junk coin
lately, how about you? I've shut down the eBay store and I'm in
"accumulate" rather than "sell" for the forseeable future. If you have
any rolls of 90% that you want to just sell outright, I work in New
Berlin.

Old March 31st 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

At the risk of being classified as a loony by 2/3 of the readership here
(not that I haven't already been), here's the OT significance: In the 1950s
a comedian named Stan Freberg made a series of comic recordings (all on
78RPM at my house). One of them was a two-sider titled "Christmas Dragnet"
(young whippersnappers know nothing of the TeeVee show he was spoofing, I
wager). It had to do with a guy named Grudge who didn't believe in Santa
Claus. The number of the case on the police blotter was
four-oh-nine-six-three-two-five-dash-oh-nine-six-seven-oh-four. I thought
it was a cool number, and committed it to memory. Every now and then it
surfaces, as it did in my post.

I had a copy of Freberg's "St. George and the Dragon-net" on 45rpm. That was a
big deal with the kids when it first came out. And wasn't it him who did a
couple other "narration" records in the mid-late 1950's where Martians were
attacking the world, the gimmick being the use of clever clips from current rock
recordings in response to interviews.

bruce

Old March 31st 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Señor Amistad" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" cogently opined in the following statement:
Actually, my scratching wasn't due to the grading, per se, but in why someone
would spend up to $30 to slab a common circ coin worth a buck or two at best.

I guess folks have differing motives for having a coin slabbed, Bruce. I had
ANACS to slab an XF Shield Nickel for me that is worth about 35 to 40 dollars
at most. (It's the one with all the die cracks that I posted a link to last
Fall here in the group.) Even though it is not a high-dollar coin, I desired
to preserve it in this manner... one day to have it passed down to my son, who
is anxious to have it. :-)

Señor Amistad
'different strokes for different folks'

I can certainly see that as a good justification. But I still can't see paying
to slab a low grade modern dime with virtually no collector value.

Old March 31st 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

[...]

So, you're about my age??? Within 2 years???

I don't know if I necessarily regret selling my junk coins, so far. I'm
just starting out as an ebaY Seller, so it's a learning experience for
me. For my first round of auctions a couple weeks ago, I pretty much
broke even. Not too bad, I figure, for the first round. And, this round
that just ended last weekend, I made an 11% profit. I'm content with
that, for now - hoping to do better in the future, as I learn the ins and
outs of ebaY selling.

I've learned that, with low-value, common stuff, it's much better to sell
them in groups, though. I lost money on all eight single Franklins I had
for sale, but made a little money on the rolls. It's all good - lesson
learned.

Actually, I'm out of the selling mode for a bit, too. I'm just swamped
with work until the end of April. Maybe we can get together then, and
work something out. Email me privately with your want list - maybe I can
at least set aside some things for you.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM