Ryanair toilet charge is no joke, insists O'Leary - Coin operated toilets on airplanes

Old March 5th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Ryanair toilet charge is no joke, insists O'Leary - Coin operated toilets on airplanes

Hello

On the story below.

Flying is now, "pay as you go" on everything. The
Airlines are micromanaging everything in it's
business operations. The worse thing that could
happen, if several people on a flight have diarrhea.
Bad food given to all the people on the plane
while in flight. What a money maker that would
end up being, with the coin operated toilets.

Boeing and Airbus can make a good coin operated
door lock on the toilets.

-----------------------------

FROM:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-toilet-charge

Ryanair toilet charge is no joke, insists O'Leary

Only technical issues are holding back plan to charge passengers £1 to use
onboard lavatory

Press Association
guardian.co.uk
Thursday 5 March 2009 15.59 GMT

Ryanair is serious about charging its passengers to use
onboard toilets, its chief executive, Michael O'Leary,
said today, adding that it would involve using a credit
card rather than a coin slot on the door.

He said there were technical and safety issues preventing
a £1 coin-operated mechanism but alternative payment
options were being explored.

The "pay a pound to spend a penny" plan would earn £15m
a year for the airline, he said, which could be passed
on to passengers in fare savings.

"We have looked into this before and the problem is
Boeing can't come up with a mechanism on the toilet door
to take coins. We're suggesting they go back and look
at a mechanism where you'd swipe the credit card for
a quid on the toilet door. They've gone off to look
at that."

The proposal to charge for toilets caused a storm last
week among consumer champions and industry analysts
while Ryanair public relations executives even tried
to play down the suggestion.

But O'Leary, during one of his regular press briefings
in Dublin, said the charge would be introduced as soon
as technically possible.

"(People say) you can't be serious. We are serious,"
he said.

"If you look at it sensibly, it would reduce an awful
lot of the unnecessary visits to the toilet that ****es
so many passengers off onboard a plane.

"Our average journey time is one hour. Most people would
go to the loo before they get on the plane, or they hold
it until they land. You would only have to deal with the
people who absolutely have to go.

"Frankly, if we think 20% of our passengers in a year
would use the facility, if they paid a pound per passenger,
it would raise about 15 million quid and would help us
to pass on £15m worth of fare savings to the travelling
public."

O'Reilly rejected criticism, describing the plan as
another "cutting-edge" initiative, like charging for
drinks.

"All this pious stuff about if you're serving teas and
snacks, you can't charge for entering the toilet. All
right then, we'll charge you to exit the toilets and
we'll let you enter free, but you'll have to pay a
pound to get back out again," he said.

"I think eventually it's going to happen. It's just
we can't do it at the moment because we don't have a
mechanism for charging you."

Old March 5th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. E

That guy must be a Jew.
Only a yid would throw a beer party (or, in this case, a tea party) and
charge to use the can.
****ing kikes!

m...

..

Old March 6th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_10_]

On Mar 5, 10:41*am, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:
Hello

Hello to you too.

This kind of crap will fly more easily in Europe than in the United
States. (heh)

If you go into a McDonald's or any restaurant with a bathroom in
Europe there will nearly always be some ja**as* sitting there
demanding that you pay him 50 euro cent in order to perform a function
that all people must perform - especially when they have been eating
and drinking. Coincidentally, and I am sure not at all related, most
major train stations in Europe have **** stains everywhere especially
where there are lockers or a secluded area.

I have been spolied in the US with being able to just use the restroom
without worry or hassle about having to pay money to do so. If they
try making people pay for a toilet on an airplane in the US I think
people will avoid that airline completely as long as an alternative
airline exists that lets them pee freely and can get them to the same
place with a competetive airfare. It would be business suicide.

Old March 6th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:
[...]

___________________

Sure would be. The clincher would be if an airline were to impose this fee
coinciding with the offer of unlimited free beer.

Old March 6th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dik T. Winter

In article PC writes:
This kind of crap will fly more easily in Europe than in the United
States. (heh)

Perhaps, I do not know.

If you go into a McDonald's or any restaurant with a bathroom in
Europe there will nearly always be some ja**as* sitting there
demanding that you pay him 50 euro cent in order to perform a function
that all people must perform - especially when they have been eating
and drinking. Coincidentally, and I am sure not at all related, most
major train stations in Europe have **** stains everywhere especially
where there are lockers or a secluded area.

Well, I know of at least one McDonald's where you can go to the toilets
for free. Do you know which toilet in that neighbourhood gets most clients
that are not customers?

I have been spolied in the US with being able to just use the restroom
without worry or hassle about having to pay money to do so. If they
try making people pay for a toilet on an airplane in the US I think
people will avoid that airline completely as long as an alternative
airline exists that lets them pee freely and can get them to the same
place with a competetive airfare. It would be business suicide.

Hrm. Ryanair is about the cheapest company in Europe. They recoup their
losses on the lower fare by charging just about everything. You have to
pay to check in bagage. You have to pay when you do not have an on-line
boarding pass. You have to pay for each and every on-flight drink.
Apparently they see a visit to the toilet as additional service, for which
you have to pay. Their fares are just the barest minimum you have to pay.
And when they state that you go to a city it may very well be that were
you land is not as near to the city you want to go to as the city's own
airport. They attract customers, because of the low fares.

Taking planes is a bit irrational overall. Some time ago the Dutch
government levies a tax on all flights from national airports. At that
time many customers decided to go by train or car to airports in other
countries. However, the cost to get to those other airports in many
cases exceeded the tax levied.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
Old March 6th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_10_]

On Mar 5, 8:52*pm, "Dik T. Winter" wrote:
In article PC writes:
* This kind of crap will fly more easily in Europe than in the United
* States. *(heh)

Perhaps, I do not know.

Europeans are more conditioned to have to pay to relieve themselves.
I'd say that is pretty compelling.

* If you go into a McDonald's or any restaurant with a bathroom in
* Europe there will nearly always be some ja**as* sitting there
* demanding that you pay him 50 euro cent in order to perform a function
* that all people must perform - especially when they have been eating
* and drinking. *Coincidentally, and I am sure not at all related, most
* major train stations in Europe have **** stains everywhere especially
* where there are lockers or a secluded area.

Well, I know of at least one McDonald's where you can go to the toilets
for free. *Do you know which toilet in that neighbourhood gets most clients
that are not customers?

And? I bet the buildings nearby are relatively ****-stain free. That
would be good for property values and general health. I, for one,
would walk past other McDonald's, make a purchase, and then happily
**** there. Knowing such a McDonald's exists nearby would raise my
disdain for other restaurants even more. Then again I am conditioned
to not accept that you should pay to relieve yourself. I also prefer
to not see **** stains in train stations and other public areas.

I would rather go in a shady truck stop with a god awful filthy
bathroom and **** for free rather then pay someone just sitting there
for a clean restroom. In the United States, McDonald's and other
restaurants will send their own employees to clean the bathroom. I
see no problem with that model. I do see a problem with some random
man or woman demanding I pay for services the restaurant should
already provide.

Did I mention the **** stains in train stations?

* I have been spolied in the US with being able to just use the restroom
* without worry or hassle about having to pay money to do so. *If they
* try making people pay for a toilet on an airplane in the US I think
* people will avoid that airline completely as long as an alternative
* airline exists that lets them pee freely and can get them to the same
* place with a competetive airfare. *It would be business suicide.

Hrm. *Ryanair is about the cheapest company in Europe. *They recoup their
losses on the lower fare by charging just about everything.

Sounds to me like they are no real bargain then. They are just hiding
the true cost in other ways.
Old March 6th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aladdin Sane

"Mr. E" wrote in message ...
That guy must be a Jew.
Only a yid would throw a beer party (or, in this case, a tea party) and
charge to use the can.
****ing kikes!

No no

Assholes such as yourself would do the same.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old March 6th 09, 09:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ivan

I once went with Ryanair from Norway to UK and the ticket was 50 pence. Then
paying 1 pound for toilet would be double the ticket price )))

Old March 6th 09, 11:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

=====================================

Unfortunately, Michael O'Leary is borderline certifiable.
His OCD pushes him to slash costs even down to ordering
aircraft with no window shades because staff wastes valuable
time resetting the shades between flights. I'm surprised it
took him this long to get around to thinking about charging
for the loo.

People will still fly Ryan because he slashes prices, even
down into the teens for short-hop flights. He's the
Wal-Mart of European airlines. Passengers are lucky he
doesn't just rip out the toilets to make room for more seats
on short-haul aircraft.

Zimbabwe coins defrauding South African coin operated machines John Stone Coins 14 August 27th 04 05:20 PM
Old coin operated welcome meter ? Ken G. Juke Boxes 2 July 26th 04 10:13 PM
Wanted anything coin operated James Burke Coins 0 December 31st 03 10:00 PM