New to Coins

Old March 29th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default New to Coins

Hey I am a new coin collector and wanted to say hey and ask for any help
you guys can give to a newbie...I also wanted o know if any of you have
any chaeper end Franklin Halves for sale I got about 8 as a start from
my uncle and decided I wanted to start out with them ok anyway please
email me if you have any thanks

Old March 30th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

(TLR503) wrote in
:

Hey I am a new coin collector and wanted to say hey and ask for any
help you guys can give to a newbie...I also wanted o know if any of
you have any chaeper end Franklin Halves for sale I got about 8 as
a start from my uncle and decided I wanted to start out with them
ok anyway please email me if you have any thanks

Welcome to RCC! Hope you stick around a while and learn from some of the
people, here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in this group, so
don't be afraid to ask questions. Before you know it, you may be one of
the 'experts' that people ask questions to!

What kind of advice are you looking for?

A couple tips: Buy the Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins, by
R.S. Yeoman). Buy the Official A.N.A. Grading Standards for United
States Coins. Read them both, and refer to them often!!! Don't get
suckered by many of the ebaY garbage auctions - ask someone who knows
what they're doing, before bidding on ebaY. There's a lot of garbage and
overgraded coins out there - you don't want to waste your money. Have
fun with whatever you're collecting. Learn about the history.

As for cheaper-end Franklins, I could help you, but not until the end of
April. I'm really, REALLY busy at work right now, and have to reduce my
time on coins for a bit. If you are still looking for something specific
at the end of April, email me, and I'll do what I can for ya.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old April 1st 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Eric Babula wrote:
(TLR503) wrote in
:

[...]

Eric speaks the wisdom of the ages. If you're really serious about
coin collecting, the best advice is to decide what you want to collect
and then LEARN as much about it as you can BEFORE you drop any money on
them. If, for example, you decide you'd like a nice set of Statehood
Quarters, don't go out any buy them. Go to your bank and search some
rolls. And don't fret if you need that elusive NJ-D or MS-P and you
can never seem to find one. They're all out there; just be patient.

Continue coming here and don't be afraid to ask questions. The biggest
mistake you can make is NOT asking. Around here, the only dumb
question is the one not asked.

After being here for a while, you'll probably find out that you've
learn quite a bit and feel ready to spend some money. DON'T Ask
first. Even though you may feel you know that you should only buy
slabbed coins from PCGS, NGC or ANACS, you may be tempted to get "a
real good deal" on an MS-70 from "FBN (Fly By Night) Grading Service."
It ain't happenin'. To quote Ira Stein (and you'll get to know him if
you stick around), "There ain't no Santa Claus in numismatics."

As for Franklins, you've picked a fairly easy set to complete. Sadly,
though, they're difficult to find in circulation. I would offer that
you check with your bank for rolls of halves and check them out. My
son collects Kennedys and bought a box of halves. He found a fair
number of 40% silver (no 1970-Ds, though), five 1964s, three Franklins,
a Walker, and a whole slew of clad common stuff.

And, as Eric said, welcome to RCC.

Jerry

Old April 1st 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:04:58 -0600, TLR503 wrote:

Hey I am a new coin collector and wanted to say hey and ask for any help
you guys can give to a newbie...I also wanted o know if any of you have
any chaeper end Franklin Halves for sale I got about 8 as a start from
my uncle and decided I wanted to start out with them ok anyway please
email me if you have any thanks

Franklin 1/2's are a great set to start on. Don't try for any of the more
unusual ones yet (55, 49s, etc.) and try to complete them not paying much
more than melt. You'll be able to collect coins, learn numismatics, and
invest in silver at the same time.

I can help youn w/ a few dates at melt but not many as I sold a bunch
recently. Feel free to email me. But if there is a DECENT and HONEST coin
shop in the area where you live and/or work that might be your best bet.
They should have a can of junk silver franklins which should include
many dates for just over melt.

HTH, YMMV.
--
dw