India - Dr. Annie Beasant

Old December 3rd 03, 04:20 AM
Dakota

Default India - Dr. Annie Beasant

Anybody here specialize in India?

I'm trying to find out about a stamp issued honoring Dr. Annie Beasant
- there was supposed to be an issue honoring her, but printed with the
wrong date of death.

Anybody know about this?

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old December 3rd 03, 05:19 AM
Rodney

.............Apologies to all the ladies,

I believe it uncouth to reveal the age of these lovely creatures.

(Remove gum to reply)

Old December 3rd 03, 01:16 PM
TC

On 2 Dec 2003 20:20:27 -0800, (Dakota) wrote:

Anybody here specialize in India?

I'm trying to find out about a stamp issued honoring Dr. Annie Beasant
- there was supposed to be an issue honoring her, but printed with the
wrong date of death.

Anybody know about this?

Handshakes,

Dakota

Dakkota:

The issue you refer to is:

SG 471 , Scott 377

Stamp Issue Date : 01/October/1963 30 years from death in 1933)

Her BIRTH date is incorrectly stated aas 1837 on the stamp.
It SHOULD have been 1847.

Postage Stamp Dinomination : 0.15 Rupees

Postage Stamp Name : MRS ANNIE BESANT
http://www.indianpost.com/images/0471.jpg

Stamp Information : DR. ANNIE BESANT

As one look back to the decades of India's long
struggle for freedom, few names stand out with
greater glory of distinction than Dr. Annie Besant's.
For forty years, from 1893 when she first landed
in India until the moment of her death in 1933,
she laboured for India's advancement in every
sphere of activity - educational, social, religious
and political - with single minded devotion and
rare dedication.

Stamp Design: Designed and produced by the Directorate
of Advertising & Visual Publicity, Ministry of I. & B.,
Govt. of India, for the D.G.P.& T. and printed by
the General Manager, Govt. of India Press, New Delhi.

Stamp Type : COMMEMORATIVE Stamp Language : English
Stamp Overall Size : 3.3 x 2.9
Stamp Print Size : 3.3 x 2.9 cms.
Stamps Per Sheet : 42
Watermark: All over multiple 'Lion Capital of Ashoka'
Indian Stamp Process : Photogravure
Number of stamps printed : 2.5 million
Stamp Printed At : India Security Press
Indian Stamp's Color : Blue Green

Blair

Old December 5th 03, 03:57 PM
Dakota

Rodney & Blair:

Thank you and - -

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old May 9th 11, 03:03 AM
Editsuite Editsuite is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
[...]

Hi, my father actually has the Annie Besant stamp on an envelope. The stamp has the error of the incorrect birth year (1837), of which there are supposed to be a limited number (300?). If anyone is interested in knowing more about this stamp or buying it, they may contact me at .
Old May 9th 11, 03:05 AM