Westward Journey Nickel & Medal set ... what happened here?

Old February 9th 05, 08:12 PM
Vector

Default Westward Journey Nickel & Medal set ... what happened here?

On January 6th, I placed an order for six of these sets. Since then,
I've watched as they kept pushing the ship date back further and
further ... I think the last I saw was February 24th. Ok, I'm cool.

BUT, I checked just now and the web site said my order request is
completed, and that the item is no longer available and there is no
tracking information available.

So, I call on the telephone, and talk with one person who can't answer
my questions. I'm upgraded to a "senior" supervisor, who essentially
tells me I'm SOL. Apparently, when I placed my order on the 6th, they
had already sold out and I've been anticipating the delivery of a
figment of my imagination for more than a month. I'm so ****ed right
now, why was my order accepted and why did the web site keep my hopes
up for a month? Argggg!!!!!

===============

www.peacepond.com
High quality environmental recordings

Old February 10th 05, 03:33 PM
Edward McGrath

I have four sets for sale at $55 a set and that includes S/H. Ed

Old February 10th 05, 04:02 PM
R!

you could probably get more than that for em...

Saw some go for over 70

Old February 11th 05, 12:42 AM
Harv

"Vector" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:33:59 -0500, (Edward
McGrath) wrote:

I have four sets for sale at $55 a set and that includes S/H. Ed

That sounds like a fair price, but I'm not ready to spend that much on
it right now. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting your asking
price, or more. What peeves me is that I had SIX sets ordered for a
little more than twice that much ($124.65 shipping included) and got
stiffed. It just doesn't seem fair to me. It would have been more
palatable if the order was rejected at placement, ya know what I mean?
Instead of letting me think my order was accepted, and then canceling
more than a month later.

When I spoke with them on the phone I was irritated enough to let them
know I thought this was a shoddy way to run a business. Of course, it
is the US Mint, not a business, so they don't have to care. And she
agreed with me but confirmed I was SOL.

So, when it is in my budget, I might buy one. (If I feel like paying
$45 or so for packaging). By the way, congrats, good for you that the
Mint didn't cancel on you too.

Hey, don't cry over spilt milk. I've told the story here many times how two
years ago, as a member of The Vatican's subscription list, I was sent an
order form for their yearly Proof and Mint Sets.. I think it was the 2003
Sets.. I ordered one of each, total came to about $90.00. They charged my
card months after mailing the order form, and I was drooling like a rabid
dog because the sets were selling for hellatious amounts of money on eBay..
after weeks of emailing them asking where my sets were, they told me they
were shipped.. After weeks of waiting and getting nothing, I emailed them a
few more times and finally got an answer saying that whoops, they didn't
ship them after all, sorry, we'll refund your money. They sent me a check
drawn on a NY bank..

I could have resold those sets for over two grand..

I got lucky last year and got two Vatican Mint Sets and one Proof Set.. the
total tab was about $215.00. I sold the two Mint Sets for about $300.00
each, and I am keeping the Proof Set, (Mintage 16,000 - eight encapsulated
coins plus a big honkin' Silver medal in a plush red velvet and white satin
case with brass fittings that makes anything the US Mint sells look like
cheap garbage.. talk about classy..) .. which is now going for about
$500.00, and which, for all intents and purposes, considerinig how much I
got for the two Mint Sets, is free.. in fact, the $600.00 I got for the two
Mint Sets is roughly triple what I paid for them PLUS the Proof Set..
sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose.. that one was a winner.. The year
before, a loser..

If you think The US Mint is hard to deal with, try dealing with The Vatican
Mint sometime.. ..

By the way, I ordered one Westward Ho How The West Was Won Debbie Reynolds
and Walter Brennan set from the US Mint for whatever they were going for,
and got it in the mail.. keeping that too..

Harv

Old February 11th 05, 01:50 AM
Vector

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:42:24 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

Hey, don't cry over spilt milk

I'll get over it, as you got over your disappointment with your
Vatican order. Unless, in the future, I see this set rise to absurd
values. In that case I'll just lose my mind, haha

Out of my 22 previous US Mint orders, all but one transaction went
smoothly. And, that one apparently was the fault of the US Postal
Service (lost shipment), and the Mint made good on it about 3 months
after the order was placed. From comments I've read from other
people, I guess I've had pretty good luck so far.

I've been considering purchases from other Mints. Australia, UK,
Canada, New Zealand. Vatican? You have me thinking. I am wondering
if these other Mints have as many problem orders as the US Mint does.