US query.

Old January 17th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default US query.

Would someone offer advice on the 2 numbers
often found in the selvedge please?
http://cjoint.com/data/brhTOw5VMA.htm

If these are "plate pairings" how many diff
numbers might be found on 1 pane?
Thanks

Old January 17th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

"Rod" wrote in message
| Would someone offer advice on the 2 numbers
| often found in the selvedge please?
| http://cjoint.com/data/brhTOw5VMA.htm
|
| If these are "plate pairings" how many diff
| numbers might be found on 1 pane?

I would expect there to be a number for each color.
Perhaps 77, 78, 79 for yellow, blue, and maybe gold.

tjr

Old January 18th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Terry.

. ..

Old January 18th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
Thanks Terry.

Rodney:

Here is a W C Fields plate block showing 6
colours of plate numbers:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/7a/7a/34_1_bo.JPG

Blair

Old January 18th 07, 09:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Blair,
it's clear now, US employ a new plate number for each
colour, which is understandable.
In Oz we often use just an image, slash, dot (traffic lights)
or other sundry ways to indicate a colour pass/plate.
Then an image of a Koala or Kangaroo in the selvedge
to indicate print "runs" of the same stamp.
Koala=1 Kangaroo=5
Questa use little balloons IIRC.
Cheers and thank you.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 18th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

dear Rod,

Any Australian balloons instead of koala's??

Questa no longer exists; De La Rue moved whatever was usable to their
plant in Dunstable, UK. From where I haven't seen any balloons when I was
flying back to the Netherlands!

groetjes, Rein

Op Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:11:38 +0100 schreef Rod :

Thanks Blair,
it's clear now, US employ a new plate number for each
colour, which is understandable.
In Oz we often use just an image, slash, dot (traffic lights)
or other sundry ways to indicate a colour pass/plate.
Then an image of a Koala or Kangaroo in the selvedge
to indicate print "runs" of the same stamp.
Koala=1 Kangaroo=5
Questa use little balloons IIRC.
Cheers and thank you.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old January 19th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Any Australian balloons instead of koala's??

cheeky! Rein.
Here are the umbrellas of Pitcairn
http://cjoint.com/data/btaMS3F5FA.htm
Walsall Security Printers, who also employ "WSB" in a coathanger,
and the ubiquitous "1A 1B" etc & etc.

I was unaware, Questa had passed away, surprise, Pacifica wa inundated
with their printings. I'll locate the ballooons in due course.

Someone here, recently mentioned "Higgins and Gage"
did I read recently they had moved to Germany?
Cheers.

Questa no longer exists; De La Rue moved whatever was usable to their
plant in Dunstable, UK. From where I haven't seen any balloons when I was
flying back to the Netherlands!

groetjes, Rein

Op Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:11:38 +0100 schreef Rod :

Thanks Blair,
it's clear now, US employ a new plate number for each
colour, which is understandable.
In Oz we often use just an image, slash, dot (traffic lights)
or other sundry ways to indicate a colour pass/plate.
Then an image of a Koala or Kangaroo in the selvedge
to indicate print "runs" of the same stamp.
Koala=1 Kangaroo=5
Questa use little balloons IIRC.
Cheers and thank you.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 19th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day Rein,
here are the "Q" Questa "balloons" on a New Hebrides issue
of Durer (with bodgie cancel)

Note the fasces between the RF of France condiminium.

http://cjoint.com/data/btdcQhcc6W.htm

"Rein" wrote in message
news dear Rod,

Any Australian balloons instead of koala's??

Questa no longer exists; De La Rue moved whatever was usable to their
plant in Dunstable, UK. From where I haven't seen any balloons when I was
flying back to the Netherlands!

groetjes, Rein

Op Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:11:38 +0100 schreef Rod :

Thanks Blair,
it's clear now, US employ a new plate number for each
colour, which is understandable.
In Oz we often use just an image, slash, dot (traffic lights)
or other sundry ways to indicate a colour pass/plate.
Then an image of a Koala or Kangaroo in the selvedge
to indicate print "runs" of the same stamp.
Koala=1 Kangaroo=5
Questa use little balloons IIRC.
Cheers and thank you.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 19th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
G'day Rein,
here are the "Q" Questa "balloons" on a New Hebrides issue
of Durer (with bodgie cancel)

Note the fasces between the RF of France condiminium.

http://cjoint.com/data/btdcQhcc6W.htm

The fasces were used in many places over the last few
thousand years.

The word fasces comes from the the Roman word meaning
bundle. The fasces itself is an axe surrounded by bundled
elm rods. It's true meaning is and origin is unknown,
although it was probably a phallic emblem..

The fasces was a symbol of authority in ancient Rome. It
was later adopted by Mussolini's fascist party during World
War two, and is the origin of the word "fascist."

On early American coins and other symbols, it symbolizes
the unity of the colonies- a single stick may be broken, but
a number of sticks bound together cannot be.

US 10c coin
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...me_reverse.jpg

US House of Representatives (each side of flag)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sentatives.jpg

Knights of Columbus
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...600px-Kofc.gif

St. Gallen Arms (Swiss)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...f_arms.svg.png

Seal of Colorado (US)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orado_seal.jpg

Ancient Rome
http://www.vroma.org/images/raia_images/fasces.jpg

France + colonies - coin 1896
http://www.coincoin.com/FCK3a.1896.jpg

Blair

Old January 19th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
[...]

Chile Query TC Blair General Discussion 5 January 31st 05 10:45 AM
Chile query Rodney General Discussion 2 January 29th 05 10:26 AM
Malaysia MS query TC Blair General Discussion 2 January 23rd 05 12:17 AM
Bulgarian Query TC Blair General Discussion 1 January 3rd 05 07:33 PM
Aust Query: Tattersalls Overprints Rodney General Discussion 0 November 13th 03 04:41 PM