Seller on eBay selling large selection of phony errors

Old September 11th 03, 12:54 AM
George M

Default Seller on eBay selling large selection of phony errors

In the past, there have been many sellers selling phony errors on eBay.
Mostly "cutting errors" hand cut from full sheets, (they still sell them),
and various bills with the wrong color seals and serial numbers which have
been chemically treated, (they still sell them). One guy I think makes a
living out of selling "Crispy" $2.00 bills with yellow seals at $14.95
each! The new guy has a large group of "offset" errors made on a copier
machine. (Judging from the quality of the offset, it must be a pretty
cheap copier). He also has many "smeared" ink errors made with chemicals.
I like to warn prospective buyers what they are bidding on so I usually
email them and let them know. This guy is using a different twist. He has
most of his really obvious phonys listed as "private auctions". As a
result, the bidders name is not shown, thus impossible to warn. Most error
collectors can spot these as phony, but a group of newbies are getting
screwed and they won't know it till they go to sell them someday and find
out they were burned, which is not good for the hobby. I spent a few hours
on ebay looking for where to send a complaint about fraud, but as I
expected, I couldn't find any. They are interested in their commission,
and not about anything else.
Old September 11th 03, 01:19 AM
michael @ worldwidecoins

"George M" wrote in message
. 74...
[...]

Taking about phony erros

a friend of mine had 5 crisp $1 bill fold in his back pocket (pair of Jeans)
he washed the jeans and later found the bills perfect but had been dyed
blue only the white parts so it look like they had been printed on blue paper.

He took them to a coin shop and the dealer bought them
thinking error or trial type notes.

He did tell the dealer later on how they became blue but the dealer was happy as he had
sold them to a collector.

Oh this was in the UK

Yours

--
michael @ www.worldwidecoins.co.uk
main site www.numismatic.biz

Old September 11th 03, 01:42 AM
George M

"michael @ worldwidecoins"
wrote in :

Taking about phony erros

a friend of mine had 5 crisp $1 bill fold in his back pocket (pair of
Jeans) he washed the jeans and later found the bills perfect but had
been dyed blue only the white parts so it look like they had been
printed on blue paper.

He took them to a coin shop and the dealer bought them
thinking error or trial type notes.

He did tell the dealer later on how they became blue but the dealer
was happy as he had sold them to a collector.

Oh this was in the UK

Yours

Now you let the secret out, tomorrow they'll be for sale on eBay.

George
Old September 11th 03, 05:29 PM
Owen Linzmayer

On 9/10/03 4:54 PM, in article
, "George M"
wrote:

[...]

At first I thought this was another typical rant against eBay because in the
past it has been very easy to find where to report a problem auction, but
upon trying to prove George wrong, I too spent too much time trying to
locate the appropriate form. Start at the following URL:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...tigations.html

Then click the first FRAUD link, then click the Report misrepresentation
link.

eBay hasn't made it easy to report fraud, but there still is a way to do it
if you'd rather be part of the solution rather than just complain.

Old September 11th 03, 07:54 PM
George M

Owen Linzmayer wrote in
:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...tigations.html

"Please contact eBay and file a Fraud Alert if you are unable to resolve
your transaction directly with your seller".

The link you listed has to do with what to do AFTER you got screwed.
(Questions like payment method/date of payment, and the heading listed
above). It doesn't pertain to how to get phony items or a bad seller off
eBay. I didn't get screwed, I just don't like seeing others getting
screwed.
Old September 12th 03, 05:17 PM
Owen Linzmayer

On 9/11/03 11:54 AM, in article
, "George M"
wrote:

Owen Linzmayer wrote in
:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...tigations.html

"Please contact eBay and file a Fraud Alert if you are unable to resolve
your transaction directly with your seller".

The link you listed has to do with what to do AFTER you got screwed.
(Questions like payment method/date of payment, and the heading listed
above). It doesn't pertain to how to get phony items or a bad seller off
eBay. I didn't get screwed, I just don't like seeing others getting
screwed.

I think if you contact them, they will investigate prior to the auction
being completed.

There used to be a very easy way of contacting SafeHarbor to report
violations of inappropriate listings, etc. I can't find it any more, but
suspect if you found a seller in violation of their policies that you can
just contact customer service to have the auction investigated.