A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OMT1015/CD - two left zeroes blinking

Old January 24th 16, 11:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dominic Tiberio
external usenet poster

Default OMT1015/CD - two left zeroes blinking

This is my first post, I recently purchased a Wurlitzer OMT 1015 CD Jukebox for my wife and the previous owners didn't know exactly why it didn't play so I have been working to bring it back to life. I have it able to load a CD but it does not play. The two zeroes on the left side of the display just blink back and forth. I've tried just about everything I can think of but that is all I can get it to do. In service mode I can get it to load a cd and it spins but it stops shortly after trying to read in the TOC (2 seconds or so) and then just sits there.

I haven't seen any info online about the blinking zeroes and was hoping this might be a clue to someone more experienced. Thanks!
Ads
Old January 25th 16, 02:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 01/24/2016 2:09 PM, Dominic Tiberio wrote:
This is my first post, I recently purchased a Wurlitzer OMT 1015 CD Jukebox for my wife and the previous owners didn't know exactly why it didn't play so I have been working to bring it back to life. I have it able to load a CD but it does not play. The two zeroes on the left side of the display just blink back and forth. I've tried just about everything I can think of but that is all I can get it to do. In service mode I can get it to load a cd and it spins but it stops shortly after trying to read in the TOC (2 seconds or so) and then just sits there.

I haven't seen any info online about the blinking zeroes and was hoping this might be a clue to someone more experienced. Thanks!

http://flippers.com/wurlitzr.html#Troubleshooting

Read the troubleshooting section on switch K7, this sounds like that
problem.

Could also be the Index Light - check that too.

We sell those parts too...

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Old January 25th 16, 03:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dominic Tiberio
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 8:50:05 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:

problem.

--
www.flippers.com

Thank you, I actually had seen a lot about the K7 online but mine wasn't broken and the switch is good... but what I found was that the K7 actuator was just slightly rotated up and when the gripper arm was going down it all looked good but was not tripping the switch. I adjusted the actuator down a bit and it now functions properly, but it still is not playing CDs.

The gripper arm loads the CD fine and then the CD spins briefly but then stops. I hear a click in the CD Control unit and then the CD spins briefly again, then a click, I think three times and then the CD is returned to the carrier. The red LED on the CD Control unit is always lit. I have tried a jumper on free play and manually adding credits with the button. I have ensured that the correct number of CDs is set and I have tried multiple CDs and tracks. It seems like the TOC is not being read in.

I tried cleaning the laser lens, still nothing. I haven't checked with a camera if the laser is working yet but I plan on doing that. Do you have any suggestions? It is the Wurlitzer CDM3 CD player and the CD Controller just says CD Controller. Any help is appreciated!
Old January 25th 16, 07:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 01/24/2016 6:00 PM, Dominic Tiberio wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 8:50:05 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:

problem.

Thank you, I actually had seen a lot about the K7 online but mine wasn't broken and the switch is good... but what I found was that the K7 actuator was just slightly rotated up and when the gripper arm was going down it all looked good but was not tripping the switch. I adjusted the actuator down a bit and it now functions properly, but it still is not playing CDs.

The gripper arm loads the CD fine and then the CD spins briefly but then stops. I hear a click in the CD Control unit and then the CD spins briefly again, then a click, I think three times and then the CD is returned to the carrier. The red LED on the CD Control unit is always lit. I have tried a jumper on free play and manually adding credits with the button. I have ensured that the correct number of CDs is set and I have tried multiple CDs and tracks. It seems like the TOC is not being read in.

I tried cleaning the laser lens, still nothing. I haven't checked with a camera if the laser is working yet but I plan on doing that. Do you have any suggestions? It is the Wurlitzer CDM3 CD player and the CD Controller just says CD Controller. Any help is appreciated!

If the K7 actuator is shifting then it may be cracked and you may need
to replace it. The new, stronger, ones are black by the way.

As for your other problem, I am assuming here that you have a CDM-3
player (please verify using the photos on my page). If a CDM-3, the
first thing to do is to replace the thermistor, found in the middle of
the interface PCB that is immediately to the left of the SC&C (Selection
and Credit Computer) with a 3A fuse. The thermistor may be causing an
excessive voltage drop and I always replace them.

Second - if the TOC light is not going out AND the CD is spinning, then
something is wrong with either the CDM-3 player OR the CD-Control box
has an issue. However before tearing into that, check the serial number
of your machine against the serial numbers on that page that cover a
problem with bad transistors that can lead to the same symptoms.

I recommend you read the entire page - I wish I was a better technical
writer though...

--
www.flippers.com
Old January 26th 16, 05:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dominic Tiberio
external usenet poster

writer though...

--
www.flippers.com

Let me start by saying a heartfelt thank you for all of the information you have made available online, it has been my bible throughout this project! I have a fair bit of experience repairing and restoring pins but my wife's dream has been to own a Wurlitzer 1015 bubbler and when I purchased the unit I did I never dreamed there would be so little information and parts online. You have been a lifesaver!

I have a CDM3 player, and the laser does appear to work and activate (I checked with my phone camera tonight). I have read all of your info multiple times and tonight thought I would replace the thermistor with a 3A 250V fast blow glass pigtail fuse but lo and behold when I opened the metal cover on the panel to the left of the SCC it didn't have a thermistor and it looks a lot different than your reference photos. It all says CD 2500 on it like yours (both the SCC plastic cover and the PCB of the board under the metal cover. I can take photos if that would help. I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Aside from the thermistor/fuse option I'm guessing I'll need to start troubleshooting the CD Controller unit, but that I don't see a lot of info about.. I did see your notes about the opt-coupler(s) but I'm not certain exactly what parts to use or if this is worth the effort vs. replacing the CDM3 and controller with one of the all in one replacements. Are those still available?

Again, I can't thank you enough for the information you have made available and your assistance here! I'll gladly purchase the few cosmetic parts I need through you once I can get it to play. I'd buy you a beverage or 12 as well
Old January 26th 16, 04:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 01/25/2016 8:01 PM, Dominic Tiberio wrote:

writer though...

Let me start by saying a heartfelt thank you for all of the information you have made available online, it has been my bible throughout this project! I have a fair bit of experience repairing and restoring pins but my wife's dream has been to own a Wurlitzer 1015 bubbler and when I purchased the unit I did I never dreamed there would be so little information and parts online. You have been a lifesaver!

I have a CDM3 player, and the laser does appear to work and activate (I checked with my phone camera tonight). I have read all of your info multiple times and tonight thought I would replace the thermistor with a 3A 250V fast blow glass pigtail fuse but lo and behold when I opened the metal cover on the panel to the left of the SCC it didn't have a thermistor and it looks a lot different than your reference photos. It all says CD 2500 on it like yours (both the SCC plastic cover and the PCB of the board under the metal cover. I can take photos if that would help. I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Aside from the thermistor/fuse option I'm guessing I'll need to start troubleshooting the CD Controller unit, but that I don't see a lot of info about.. I did see your notes about the opt-coupler(s) but I'm not certain exactly what parts to use or if this is worth the effort vs. replacing the CDM3 and controller with one of the all in one replacements. Are those still available?

Again, I can't thank you enough for the information you have made available and your assistance here! I'll gladly purchase the few cosmetic parts I need through you once I can get it to play. I'd buy you a beverage or 12 as well

Host a photo of the interface board on a public image hosting site and I
can check it for you if you provide the link here.

--
www.flippers.com
Old January 27th 16, 01:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dominic Tiberio
external usenet poster

I was able to finally read the chip and it looks to be a 15009E IC Protector. I believe it is rated at 50v 1.5A so I'm not sure if this was how it came stock or if this was a later "fix" by the previous owner. I also know you recommend a 3A fast blow fuse so I'm not sure if it is properly sized. I have hosted an image of the board and IC as well as the side of the PCB showing the model: http://imgur.com/a/SL0zW

I wanted to see if I could by pass the CD player and play music from my phone by taking the red/black RCA jacks from the side of the CD Control and plug them into an RCA to 1/8" jack cable I had and got no sound. I noticed the red light on the Amplifier was lit for "Mute." It seems the previous owner had done a fair bit of tinkering so it is hard for me to know what things should be stock. It seems like there is an infra red controller inside (but no remote) and that they possibly had an external speaker hooked up because there is a jack in the extern R port on the left side of the amplifier. It is a "Wurlitzer Compact Amplifier 40 210 Komp-Nr. 5630" I'm not sure if any of that is important or relevant but I wanted to be as thorough as I can be.
Old January 27th 16, 09:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 01/26/2016 4:51 PM, Dominic Tiberio wrote:

I was able to finally read the chip and it looks to be a 15009E IC Protector. I believe it is rated at 50v 1.5A so I'm not sure if this was how it came stock or if this was a later "fix" by the previous owner. I also know you recommend a 3A fast blow fuse so I'm not sure if it is properly sized. I have hosted an image of the board and IC as well as the side of the PCB showing the model: http://imgur.com/a/SL0zW

I wanted to see if I could by pass the CD player and play music from my phone by taking the red/black RCA jacks from the side of the CD Control and plug them into an RCA to 1/8" jack cable I had and got no sound. I noticed the red light on the Amplifier was lit for "Mute." It seems the previous owner had done a fair bit of tinkering so it is hard for me to know what things should be stock. It seems like there is an infra red controller inside (but no remote) and that they possibly had an external speaker hooked up because there is a jack in the extern R port on the left side of the amplifier. It is a "Wurlitzer Compact Amplifier 40 210 Komp-Nr. 5630" I'm not sure if any of that is important or relevant but I wanted to be as thorough as I can be.

That 15009E appears to be a replacement for the earlier Thermistor. I
believe you can replace that with a 3A fuse easily enough.

First though you can check across the device with an AC voltmeter - if
the voltage drop is under 0.5VAC then it is fine and you do not need to
replace it. A final check is at the transformer i the CD-Control. It
should have about 30VAC on the wires going to the transformer.

--
www.flippers.com
Old February 4th 16, 07:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dominic Tiberio
external usenet poster

Thanks again, I haven't been able to take it all apart to check the IC yet. I do have one question though, I have unplugged the IR module and the External speaker from the amplifier and the red "Mute" LED is still lit. How do I turn that off? I can't seem to find any docs or info on the compact amplifier that is in my unit anywhere online.
Old February 4th 16, 11:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 02/04/2016 10:30 AM, Dominic Tiberio wrote:
Thanks again, I haven't been able to take it all apart to check the IC yet. I do have one question though, I have unplugged the IR module and the External speaker from the amplifier and the red "Mute" LED is still lit. How do I turn that off? I can't seem to find any docs or info on the compact amplifier that is in my unit anywhere online.

The Mute goes out only when the mechanism is in the play position. It
has no affect on the CD-Player as I recall. If the cancel switch was
jammed that could cause the machine to eject before playing...

--
www.flippers.com