Rockola 440 Gripper and Magazine Motor Blowing Fuses

Old October 2nd 14, 06:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Default Rockola 440 Gripper and Magazine Motor Blowing Fuses

On 10/01/2014, 4:26 PM, wrote:
I hear you loud and clear--I'm just saying that this is a weird electronic phenomena... I've been playing song after song now (30-40) and even put the circuit breaker back into action. I cleaned and lubed it in the garage (it was dropped off from a church cleanup effort). I had to jump the breaker the day I got it. It would blow the mechanical fuse every 7 songs or so. I decided to move it into the house as a nice discussion piece. I almost died getting it to my lower level by myself. Seems that the shake up must have kicked the carbon dust in the motor around and I couldn't get it to load 2 records without blowing the fuse. Now it was a big heavy embarrassing boat anchor just taking up space. But from reading this thread I was motivated to put my own supply onto the motor to see the amps. The needle completely pegged (only goes up to 3 and 20 volts output). The motor would spin and forced to stop when the record sat down. I reversed the polarity and put the record back--again the m

otor was forced to stop with my current still on it. I noticed that in the process of back-and-forth, back-and-forth the amps started reducing. Back-and-forth, back-and-forth it eventually showed under 1 and near 2 when the motor was forced to stop. At that point I put everything back and right now I'm blowing the ceiling off the house. Really.

Can you tell me, if I remove the motor to clean it, does the motor slide out of the gear box? Or will I have to remove that and open it up too? Thanks for all your help here. Also, this is in really nice shape. It came with an extra of every module, extra speakers, and two ice cream containers full of extra records--all in really nice condition. Can you guess at what this might all be worth?

Best to remove the motor assembly, just three bolts hold it in place,
then take apart on the bench. you have to take the brushes out before
opening the case and trying to do that while the motor is installed is
rather difficult if even possible.

When you reinstall the motor press it up against the gear whilst
tightening the three bolts, but take care that there is a small amount
(1/100") or so slack/play between the gears so you don't get a tight spot.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old October 2nd 14, 06:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Hi, I just want to be clear so I don't screw up. Do I turn it while pulling it away out of the gear box? --Or do I have to open or remove the gear box too? The drawing shows a little ball bearing at the tip of the motor shaft in the gear box. Do I try to keep that balanced on the tip of the shaft when I remove it? Thank you
Old October 2nd 14, 06:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 10/02/2014, 10:18 AM, wrote:
Hi, I just want to be clear so I don't screw up. Do I turn it while pulling it away out of the gear box? --Or do I have to open or remove the gear box too? The drawing shows a little ball bearing at the tip of the motor shaft in the gear box. Do I try to keep that balanced on the tip of the shaft when I remove it? Thank you

Hi, if you are asking about removing the motor armature from the housing
then you can normally simply pull it out the rear once the cover is off
and the brushes removed. In some cases you have to remove the brush
holding assembly which would be held in place with two screws, however
if the opening is large enough for the body of the armature to pass
though then you are OK.

You can turn the armature if you like, but the gears should be loose
enough to simply pull out the armature when the motor is removed from
the machine.

As for the small ball bearing on the end of the shaft - this is held in
place with some grease when you put it back. Not all motors have the
ball bearing, if there is a ball bearing then the end cap against which
the ball bearing rests is usually adjustable and held in place by a
small Allen (usually) head setscrew.

Watch out for any shims on the shaft! They must go back in the same
positions (front shims vs. rear shims).

Fresh grease on the gears is a good idea - molylube is good (I think).
And non-detergent 20W oil for the motor bushings and shaft - keeping
armature dry of course!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old October 2nd 14, 06:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Perfect. You really know this stuff! Separately, the unit has 2 AA batteries to remember the top 3 selections. --they look to be fresh and working. Under the turn table is an old battery wired in--the manual labels it as a battery pack. I'm guessing that this hasn't worked in years. Any idea what it's purpose is? Perhaps to finish a cycle if it gets unplugged? I'm guessing that there is a trickle charge to it.?
Old October 2nd 14, 08:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

John I feel very dumb. I just checked eBay to see what a used motor might cost and learned that the gear box is part of the motor. I thought that they were two separate things and that I could remove the motor from the jukebox and leave the gearbox in. I get it now. I have a lot to learn.
Old October 7th 14, 01:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

John,
After about 200 plays the circuit breaker started popping. I tried my voodoo again with an external supply and it worked for about 40 plays--then the breaker started popping again.

I pulled it out and, without a load it was a hair over 2 amps.

I took the motor apart per your instructions. You were exactly, 100%, without any question, correct. I cleaned all the lose dust out and found an old razor blade in a parts drawer and worked with some magnifying goggles for about 20 minutes. Then I used a toothbrush to get anything left. Amps came down under .25 .

I just installed it into the machine and I'm amazed how FAST it loads and unloads the record!

Thankfully the other motor is drawing .25 because it looks too buried to remove.

John, I couldn't have done this without you and this thread.

Regards,
John

Old August 7th 15, 12:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 3:26:29 PM UTC+11, John Robertson wrote:
On 10/06/2014, 5:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

Glad to help!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Hi John,

I have an issue with a Rockola 484 with 11 VAC present at the gripper motor plug !!!
I believe it should be around 28VDC.
Would appreciate if you could give me a direction to look where this is supplied from

Regards
Stewart

Australia

motor gripper and the magazine motor Funkyboye Juke Boxes 4 December 13th 10 05:18 AM
Rockola Magazine Drive Motor noise Rob Blakeslee Juke Boxes 3 February 20th 10 04:32 PM
Gripper motor gear mailman4 Juke Boxes 0 November 19th 09 07:36 AM
Wurlitzer 2200 Blowing fuses Twister Juke Boxes 0 May 28th 08 09:58 AM
WTB: gripper motor for AMI Continental II mike Juke Boxes 0 September 13th 03 06:09 PM