Help With India "Petit Chiffres" Type Cancel

Old May 24th 05, 07:39 PM

Default Help With India "Petit Chiffres" Type Cancel

Hi -

I have an India stamp with a cancel that resembles a French "petites
Chiffres" type cancel.

http://www.adirondack-pc.com/graphics/petit.jpg

I wonder if this was used in French India at that time? Since I don't
have a reference about this number, I am of course curious because I
collect French India and environs.

Any help would be appreciated.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 25th 05, 04:07 AM
Blair (TC)

This looks like a Type 6 cancel (Madras circle diamond of dots) #130.

Here is the same cancel type, but # C/111 (Pondicherry).
http://www.island.net/~rjbw/IND/India-Pondi-J01.jpg

Blair

Old May 25th 05, 06:30 AM

On 24 May 2005 20:07:24 -0700, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

This looks like a Type 6 cancel (Madras circle diamond of dots) #130.

Here is the same cancel type, but # C/111 (Pondicherry).
http://www.island.net/~rjbw/IND/India-Pondi-J01.jpg

Yup, that's true. Not a real French type lozenge cancel, like on
their Ceres & Napoleons.

Where are you getting your numbers from? An SG catalog?

I know, between Yvert, Dallay and Ceres, as well as the FCPS (society)
I may be able to cob job together all the French cancels and their
usage abroad.

To me, when collecting varieties, these things make the day a bit more
interesting.

Thanks Blair!

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 25th 05, 06:22 PM
Blair (TC)

wrote:

This looks like a Type 6 cancel (Madras circle diamond of dots) #130.

Here is the same cancel type, but # C/111 (Pondicherry).
http://www.island.net/~rjbw/IND/India-Pondi-J01.jpg

Yup, that's true. Not a real French type lozenge cancel, like on
their Ceres & Napoleons.

Where are you getting your numbers from? An SG catalog?

I know, between Yvert, Dallay and Ceres, as well as the FCPS (society)
I may be able to cob job together all the French cancels and their
usage abroad.

To me, when collecting varieties, these things make the day a bit more
interesting.

Thanks Blair!

Tracy:

You will not find these in any French catalogue as they
are NOT French cancels. They are INDIAN cancels used
at INDIAN post offices, not at French post offices.

The basic numeral cancels were used in all of the postal
circles. SG does not list the cancellations. There are
other publications that do that.

The cancellations of India is a huge topic, to which entire
books have been devoted.

Early Indian Cancellations by Jal Cooper, 1948,
facsimile reprint, 1995

India, Numbers in Early Indian Cancellations 1855-1884
by D. R. Martin 1970, Publ. Robson Lowe, 140 pages, cloth
http://philatelic-literature.com/num...arlyindian.jpg

Numeral Cancellations of the British Empire by Henry H. Heins
1960, 2nd edition, 64 pages, card,
1967, 3rd edition, 64 pages, card
1979, 4th edition, copyright but printed in 1981, 84 pages, card

India used Abroad by Vispi S Dastur, 1982

Up until 1861, the Indian Postal Service was divided into
several areas or 'circles', each centered on a major city
or state, each having it's own distinctive cancellation types.
(ie Bombay, Calcutta, Madras)

Agencies outside India were attached to one or another circle,
depending on their geographical location.

In deference to the India Study Circle
http://www.indiastudycircle.org/ I use the standard
numbering for the cancellation types. There are numerous
sub-types especially amongst the All-India cancellations.

Blair

Old June 26th 05, 04:18 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:18:55 +0200, Didier Cuidet
wrote:

Le Tue, 24 May 2005 14:39:50 -0400, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
a écrit :

Hi -

I have an India stamp with a cancel that resembles a French "petites
Chiffres" type cancel.

http://www.adirondack-pc.com/graphics/petit.jpg

I wonder if this was used in French India at that time? Since I don't
have a reference about this number, I am of course curious because I
collect French India and environs.

Any help would be appreciated.

The French Petits-Chiffres cancellations have a different shape :
URL:http://www.i-net.fr/marcophilie/oblpc.html

They were used in French post offices, Algerian post offices and French
post offices in foreign countries from 1852 to 1862.

They were replaced by Gros-Chiffres in 1863 (up to 1876) :
URL:http://www.i-net.fr/marcophilie/oblgc.html

The number in the cancellation allows to know the office which cancelled
the stamp. The two lists are different.
URL:http://www.i-net.fr/marcophilie/b0.html

In French India, the cancellation looked like PC, but with the word
«*INDE*» in place of the digits.

Thanks!

Tracy Barber
adirondack-pc