My Silver hoard afternoon of fun

Old May 27th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default My Silver hoard afternoon of fun

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=506102

I shot the picture at the top of the page. Had a friend post it with a
made-up story. Waited to see what the reaction was. Then scroll down a bit
and you'll see my posting where I explain the whole thing.

It was, umm, an interesting experience.

So I have a dozen GEM BU 1964-D quarters sitting here in flips (explained in
the story) and I'm going to give them the looking over and submit what I
think are the best of them to PCGS. If any of them make MS67 (pray pray)
it's a $2000.00 coin. I looked at some very high resolution pictures of
1964-D PCGS MS67 quarters on Heritage and TeleTrade today and quite a few of
the dozen I have look every bit as good. I just don't know. I'm aching to
know and so I'm going to spend the money to find out.

Anyway, some of you might find the picture an story umm.. interesting.
Perhaps in a sort of "What walked in the store today" Wes sort of way. I
have never in my life had the opportunity to go through a hoard of Silver
like that before.

Harv

Old May 27th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hi Harv!!!!

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old May 27th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Harv" wrote in message
[...]

Cool story, Harv!

John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old May 27th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"John Carney" wrote in message

Cool story, Harv!

John

Thanks. Every word of it is true. I didn't mention one thing, though. It was
also very bittersweet and spooky. My friend's Dad, her Mom's husband of
sixty years (and I knew him well since I've known this family since the
mid-1960s when I was in High School) not only had recently passed away, but
his final wish was to be cremated. They hadn't yet had his ashes interred
and he was in a fancy walnut box in the living room, feet away from where we
were sitting at that dining table, going through his hoard of Silver coins.
I found this rather disturbing as though he was watching over us. He was a
WWII AF flying Ace and bomber pilot who flew dozens of missions over Europe
so on top of the box was one of those triangularly-folded American flags in
a wooden case, given to his widow by umm.. I forget, the American Legion or
some other Veterans' organization.

So the emotions in the room were rather mixed and strange and I had never
before been in their home when he wasn't there. And yet, he was there.
Because we were all quite sad about their loss, but at the same time he left
them with a lot of wonderful memories (and also left them quite well off..)
... and there he was, over in that box as I tried to keep my wits about me
and explain to them about coins and Silver and how to handle them and why
the last thing in the world they should do is dump them in a Coinstar
machine or turn them in at a Bank. The coin collector in me wanted to whip
out my checkbook and buy some of the GEM rolls of 1964 coins from them, but
the long-time friend and whatever compassionate person exists in me (and
someone who lost a parent just last year so I knew what my friend was going
through, although she seemed to handle her loss a lot better than I handled
mine..).. was trying very hard not to sound mercenary or money-grubbing or
try to take advantage of them. I mean I'm certainly no saint, but I could
have easily told them the coins were worth far less than they were but I
knew that would have been extremely bad Karma.They didn't even know what was
in all those socks in the safe all those years except "a whole lot of
coins."

Anyway, like I explained, she did tell me to keep a dozen of the quarters
and I'm just aching to know how PCGS would grade them. I won't use any other
service, even though PCGS is the most expensive and the most PITA to submit
to. It'll cost me a couple hundred bucks, probably, to find out. I could end
up with a bunch of slabs worth $20.00 each, or some worth $200.00 or if I
got really lucky, maybe one or two worth $2000.00. It's a gamble. I'm
willing to take that gamble. And they have a bunch more rolls of 1964-Ds in
the same condition. What would you do with them?

Harv

Old May 27th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sat, 27 May 2006 03:40:27 GMT, "Harv" is alleged
to have written:
[...]

Oh, man. That had to be a great way to spend an afternoon. Better be
patient, PCGS turnaround time hasn't been the greatest recently.

Bruce (Good luck!)

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner