Ever foolishly enter a bid...

Old May 25th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Ever foolishly enter a bid...

....and still feel good about it after you won?

I carry a small leather bag with me most of the time. I like to carry a few
low-grade "oddball coins" in it to show someone now and then. Such as a
large cent, two cent, three cent (both metals), half dime and so on...

I was just thinking a few days ago that I would like to have an example of
the "thicker" cents of the first few years of the IHC production. I
happened onto this auction with less than a minute left... pondered a
moment... entered what became the winning bid.

http://tinyurl.com/glrf7

Even though these are of the "dog" variety, it will be kind of neat to have
not one, but *two* examples of the type I wanted for "show and tell." That
alone makes me happy, and then to get the "bunus Lincom" coin to boot, heck,
what more could a man ask for? :-)

Amistad
'indeed coins can be fun, no matter their grade'

Old May 25th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Amistad wrote:
[...]

Actually, since you got an 1859 in the deal (which is a one year type
coin), you got two different IHC reverses to show off.

Old May 25th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"reality", with hammer and chisel, carved out the words:
Actually, since you got an 1859 in the deal (which is a one year type
coin), you got two different IHC reverses to show off.

Heh! Yes, I was aware of the different reverses of those years, but had not
thought of the difference in the context of these two Indians in the
auction. Thank you for reminding me that I *really* got a treasure this
time! Yee haw! :-)

Amistad
'but the obverses are still both just dogs'!'

Old May 25th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Amistad wrote:
[...]

Around 6-7 years ago I was doing my normal ebay evening search (back
then I could browse through the entire US Coins listings ending in less
than 24 hours every evening) when I came across an 1860 Half Dime in
NGC MS65 with under five minutes left. I did a real quick check on
prices and it seemed like a good deal, so I bid. I won the coin at
just under $600.

Now I don't usually buy coins at that level. As a matter of fact, I
had never before or ever since paid that much for a single coin. I
don't know what was quickly running through my mind at the time. After
I had the coin in hand I really didn't become attached to it. It was a
weak strike and white like it had received a fresh dip. It also had a
dark spon on the wreath that looked more like tar than tone.

I sat on the coin for over a year and it finally bothered me enough
that I had to sell it. I reasoned that I would rather have three MS64
half dimes than one single MS65. I ended up selling it directly to
Heritage and making around $150 on it. Today I could buy a similar
coin with a better strike and original surface for around what I sold
that one for. Seated Half Dimes really have been sitting this current
market rally out. Sometimes those foolish bids turn out ok.

Old May 25th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Randy Thompson" dropped in with a few good thoughts, and then said:
...Sometimes those foolish bids turn out ok.

Thank you for your story with the Half Dime, Randy. I'm pleased to hear
that you made some moola on that one when you sold it. I've been kicking
myself for letting an 1837 Half Dime (no stars) get by a while back. (The
"plain" fields on that coin really appeal to me!) I had watched it a while
and had planned to bid on it, but somehow fooled around and didn't do so.
Oh well, there's another one out there somewhere with my name on it. :-)

I think I was in error in using the word "foolishly" in the Subject line of
this thread. In fact, the more I think of it (considering the "show and
tell" plan that I have in mind), I think this one was, conversely, a "wise"
bid...

Amistad
'but they haven't *always* been wise'

Old May 25th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Amistad wrote:
"Randy Thompson" dropped in with a few good thoughts, and then said:
...Sometimes those foolish bids turn out ok.

Thank you for your story with the Half Dime, Randy. I'm pleased to hear
that you made some moola on that one when you sold it. I've been kicking
myself for letting an 1837 Half Dime (no stars) get by a while back. (The
"plain" fields on that coin really appeal to me!) I had watched it a while
and had planned to bid on it, but somehow fooled around and didn't do so.
Oh well, there's another one out there somewhere with my name on it. :-)

I suppose you are looking for a lower grade one? They get a bit pricy
as the grade goes up. I happen to have an AU that I've been
considering selling. It shouldn't cost much more than, say, an old
used guitar...

I think I was in error in using the word "foolishly" in the Subject line of
this thread. In fact, the more I think of it (considering the "show and
tell" plan that I have in mind), I think this one was, conversely, a "wise"
bid...

A few years ago I had a friend who was running a small convienience
store. He found an 1859 in the till. It was pretty beat up but still
worth a couple of bucks. I think for your purpose you did well.

Old May 25th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Randy Thompson" guessed, and hit it right, with:
I suppose you are looking for a lower grade one? They get a bit pricy
as the grade goes up. I happen to have an AU that I've been
considering selling. It shouldn't cost much more than, say, an old
used guitar...

Yes, though I would love to have a nice coin of that type, I'd have to
settle for a lower grade. I picked up an 1837 Dime (no stars) a few months
ago that has some darker color that I really like. I'd grade it VG on the
obverse, maybe G+ on the reverse.

Speaking of guitars, I have one that I should sell. (A black Takemine
six-string, acoustic/electric.) I'm having so much fun with this new
twelve-string, I think I've just about been converted to playing the twelve
exclusively. I didn't know it would be such fun and I'm really loving it!

Amistad
'six of one and twelve of the other'