Found in change (boy is it ugly)

Old February 25th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Found in change (boy is it ugly)

Found this coin in change today. Now I will admit that I don't search my
change day in and day out, week in and week out
but to the best of my recollection I have never found an 83-d in change
before.

http://austriancoins.com/tmp/quat.jpg

It is one of the ugliest coins I have gotten in change in a long time so it
deserves a post for that if nothing else. :-)
What is done to a coin to cause this? Seen coins like it before
occasionally and wondered.

Dale

Old February 25th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dale Hallmark wrote:
Found this coin in change today. Now I will admit that I don't search my
change day in and day out, week in and week out
but to the best of my recollection I have never found an 83-d in change
before.

http://austriancoins.com/tmp/quat.jpg

It is one of the ugliest coins I have gotten in change in a long time so it
deserves a post for that if nothing else. :-)
What is done to a coin to cause this? Seen coins like it before
occasionally and wondered.

I believe that that one was sitting in the gravel on a roadside for a couple
of years, to be picked up by a chance pedestrian or bicyclist. Exposure to
salt, lime and/or soil will coat coins like that and then a few years of
circulation afterwards will wear some of it off.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old February 25th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dale Hallmark wrote:
Found this coin in change today. Now I will admit that I don't search my
change day in and day out, week in and week out
but to the best of my recollection I have never found an 83-d in change
before.

http://austriancoins.com/tmp/quat.jpg

It is one of the ugliest coins I have gotten in change in a long time so it
deserves a post for that if nothing else. :-)
What is done to a coin to cause this? Seen coins like it before
occasionally and wondered.

Dale

Could it have been one of those red painted quarters used in vending
machines?

I believe the owner of an establishment is given a supply of them to
give to people who lose quarters in things like pinball machines. When
the vending machine operator's employee empties the quarter bin he
gives the red quarters back to the business owner to reuse.

Old February 25th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dale Hallmark wrote:
[...]

Suppose it could have been; it is red underneath but black on top.
I have looked at it under a lot of light and magnification and can't tell if
it is paint or not.

Dale

Old February 25th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:21:45 -0600, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

http://austriancoins.com/tmp/quat.jpg

But it has such *awesome* toning! g

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old February 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

It was a coin that was in the pocket of a man that experienced
Spontaneous Human Combustion. And everything burnt to a crisp except his
pocket with this one clad quarter. The remains were transported to the
coroners office where it sat in a desk drawer for several years. Until
one particularly warm summers afternoon, when an employee, short on
change palmed this poor quarter and used it to partially pay for a Dr.
Pepper at nearby vending machine, thus re-entering circulation.
Eventually making it's way to you.

The End.

You can now stop wondering

Old February 25th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message
Dale Hallmark wrote:
Found this coin in change today. Now I will admit that I don't search

my
change day in and day out, week in and week out
but to the best of my recollection I have never found an 83-d in change
before.

http://austriancoins.com/tmp/quat.jpg

It is one of the ugliest coins I have gotten in change in a long time so

it
deserves a post for that if nothing else. :-)
What is done to a coin to cause this? Seen coins like it before
occasionally and wondered.

I believe that that one was sitting in the gravel on a roadside for a

couple
of years, to be picked up by a chance pedestrian or bicyclist. Exposure

salt, lime and/or soil will coat coins like that and then a few years of
circulation afterwards will wear some of it off.

I'm guessing it's a metal detecting find. I recover clad coinage like that
all the time.

Old February 25th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thats so ugly, it beautiful, I like how the high relief is semi clean.
Shows a strong jaw bone. Besides, it might be a hot item on eBay.
Nothing surprises me anymore. Sell it!!!

Old February 27th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In a recent message (Jim Wild) wrote:

Thats so ugly, it beautiful, I like how the high relief is semi clean.
Shows a strong jaw bone. Besides, it might be a hot item on eBay.
Nothing surprises me anymore. Sell it!!!

It is a rare case where cleaning would improve it!

--
Tony Clayton

Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... 4 food groups: fast, frozen, microwaved, and junk

Found in change John Carney Coins 3 January 13th 05 07:30 PM
Found in change John Carney Coins 0 January 13th 05 03:00 AM
Found in Change Bob Dennett Coins 3 November 23rd 04 04:21 PM
Are "coins I found in change" threads interesting? Steve Joyce Coins 11 September 9th 03 05:31 AM
Yet Another Chapter in "Found in Change" John Pascarella Coins 2 July 21st 03 04:08 AM