Fraudulent Ebay Seller - John Pelan

Old June 5th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Fraudulent Ebay Seller - John Pelan

Shelf Space wrote:

That has very little to do with anything. It doesn't address most of
the points in my original post. However, to address the issue of
feedback, I would say this: on more than one occasion, Pelan has
cheated Ebay customers but they have decided it isn't worth complaining
about, given his extremely aggressive and unpleasant personality.

Do you have any proof of this or is it merely another one of your
half-baked contentions in the never-ending flame war you have going on
with Pelan?
My experience with eBay is that buyers will leave a negative feedback
at the drop of a hat. To have a record like Pelan's means he must be
doing a pretty good job, at least on eBay.

To just look at feedback in isolation is to look at an issue in a one
dimensional way. I knew a seller with a four figure feedback rating who
openly bragged about fixing auctions and feedback after I caught him
shilling an auction (a friend of Pelan's as it so happens). When I
advised him I would be reporting the matter to Ebay, his first tactic
was to point out he had a criminal record for violence by way of
threatening me, but when that failed, he lied brazenly to Ebay, who
being gullible fools eager to take his seller fees, decided to turn a
blind eye to his shilling behaviour.

Again, is this another one of your fantasies? Voices in your head? Or
just an outright lie?

Thus I deem the issue of feedback a very insular and flawed one.
Granted it can give you an indication, but it certainly does not tell
the whole story. And when you bear in mind that Ebay relies totally on
sellers to make money for them, it is obvious to see who they will side
with.

And you know the whole story because.........

For that reason, I would recommend sticking to specific issues. In this
case, I know full well that Pelan lied about a book's description
because I sold it to him; it is also a fact that he is flogging-off
signed letters and manuscripts without author permission; and also that
he is selling MH and ATP books despite saying he would never do this
lest it query the pitch of genuine bookdealers.

Yet, despite knowing "full well", you refuse to offer any proof other
than your unsubstantiated assertions.
Pelan may be a gigantic pain in the ass and a blowhard but there is no
evidence that he is anything but an upright eBay trader.
You, on the other hand Barker, are a horse's ass.

Old June 5th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default the JACKASS is braying yet again!

Then in that case, shut the **** up until you know what's going on, you
pimple.

What eloquence from a teenager (I understand your problem with pimples
- it'll go away when you grow up).

If we were standing face to face, I could tell you (in words you might
understand) that you're only a small crusty turd dangling on a pile of
****. But since I can't, I'll just say....ta ta

Old June 5th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Hardy-Boys.net wrote:

If we were standing face to face, you'd have to be standing on a
ladder!
The chance that you would open your mouth would be slim, since you know
you'd get the **** beat out of you. Sure, you remember - just like all
those times you got the crap beat out of you in high school!
Now shut the **** up, you pimple.

Kiss kiss.... now run on home to your mommy and tell her that I won't
play with you. And I wouldn't need to be on the ladder for you to kiss
my ass...ta ta

Old June 5th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Ebay PowerSeller - John Pelan

On 5 Jun 2006 12:44:29 -0700, "Shelf Space"
wrote:

John (eBay Powerseller) Pelan wrote:

On 5 Jun 2006 02:44:22 -0700, "Shelf Space"
wrote:

Just a short warning to those thinking of buying books from John Pelan
who sometimes trades under the name of MIDNIGHT HOUSE BOOKS.

Pelan lost his job a few months ago and has been desperately trying to
offload his junky book collection on Ebay. These are some of his more
questionable antics:

1. Although he once said he would never sell his own books on Ebay
because it would irritate dealers who themselves are having trouble
shifting stock, Pelan now does. He sells Ashtree Press and Midnight
House books at prices which undercut the dealers, or else he offers
highly tenuous add-ons e.g. 'rare proof copy - signed by publisher'.
(NB. Rare proof copies provided free by the rarely-paid-on-time printer
it must be added!)

Please provide an example of my offering an Ash-Tree Press book for
sale.

Okeydokey, here's your proof:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=841826467 4

Is that proof enough for you?

Come now, do you have any idea who the editor of the book is? There is
certainly a vast difference between offering my extra contributor
copies and your implication that I market MH and A-TP books on a
regular basis.

Oh, I see you've clipped out point 2. Presumably we should deem that
another admission of guilt (to add to the one above).

No, I just see no reason to dignify that ridiculous point with
commentary.

3. Pelan effects extremely amateur and clumsy home-made "repairs" to
books and then omits to detail them in the item's description.

You are a liar.

You're going to have to do better than name-calling. However, I reserve
the right not to produce proof lest other parties become embroiled in
your mess. Suffice to say that I say you do, although I am unable to
quote any specific proof, and for that reason, I simply urge
prospective bidders to inspect aolder books bought from you extremely
carefully lest they get ripped off.

In other words, you are full of ****. Provide proof or shut the ****
up.

After all, if you have nothing to hide, and haven't been busy with your
nephew's chunky paper-scissors and PVA glue tub, then you have nothing
to fear, do you?

I have nothing to fear from you on any account. I was dealing in
antiquarian books when you were still soiling yourself and throwing
your toys out of the pram. While the passing of the years has led me
to have a very nice career as a bookseller, author, editor and
publisher; you remain unchanged. Can it be that the fact that you are
such a dismal failure in the aforementioned endeavors have anything to
do with your odd obsession with me?

4. He also greatly exaggerates the condition of the books that he is
selling. For example, I sold him this book myself:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=842144849 3

I originally bought it from a well-known UK bookdealer for circa £10.
By no stretch of the imagination could it be described as VG-. It was a
pretty ragged copy as both I and my supplier originally stated.
Disturbingly, there are numerous other examples of this overly
energetic fervour to exaggerate book condition.

Odd, you mean the book the book pictured is not the one for sale? How
did you determine this? The buyer seemed to think that the copy he
received was quite nice. Is it possible that there is more than one
copy of this book in existence?

This can be cleared up very easily. I can email the buyer and ask him
to send me a scan of the book's cover and title pages. I can then
cross-check that with the scans I have on file of the book I sold you.
Then I can dig out both my description of the book and that which was
prepared by the person who sold it to me, and thus prove exactly how
much your own description varied from ours.

I use the standards of ABAA. Please explain to us your grading system
so that we may all benefit from your superior knowledge.

There are even more sinister stories to tell, some involving
out-and-out fraud,

Please provide proof or go **** yourself. We do know that you are a
fraud, forger, and thief that sponges off of his mail-order bride.

What a pathetic little man you are.

Cheers,

John

What an unpleasant fellow you are. A prejudiced, foul-mouthed braggart.
I suggest you stick to the facts and stop trying to intimidate people
into submission with your aggressive behaviour or else you will never
evolve into a proper adult.

Now why don't you quit while you are behind? As to your ludicrous
remarks regarding selling off my collection, I've recently added
several nice 1sts by Thomas Disch, Christopher Priest, Brian Aldiss,
William F. Temple, and Arthur C. Clarke. Being the ignorant little
**** that you are, I can't imagine that you've heard of any of them.

As always, I do thank you for calling attention to my eBay auctions.
Since you are unable to afford any of the items I'm offering, it's
very kind of you to alert prospective buyers. I must caution you that
this ng is not for commercial postings and the result may be that you
are held in even lower esteem than you are currently.

"The lowest of the low" - Well known US Book Dealer on Chris Barker

Good day,

John

Old June 5th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Whatever. The fact remains that you are a fraud and are widely regarded
as such by several genuine antiquarian booksellers.

Old June 5th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

michael adams wrote:

"Shelf Space" wrote in message
ups.com...
Adams, you are a fool and a hypocrite.

A hypocrite because you gleefully trample over other people's
private lives

Private lives ? Are you claiming that "The Daily Telegraph" published
all that information about you without your permission ? Are you claiming
they invented all those quotes, oh "Scholar of the Supernatural" ?

http://telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jh.../02/07/cmcash0...

Your link doesn't work. Could it be that I alerted the newspaper
concerned to the fact that malicious cowards such as yourself were
using well-meaning features in their newspaper for unpleasant purposes?
I think it could.

while keeping very quiet about your own.

Unlike you I don't give interviews to "The Daily Telegraph", that's
true enough. But then neither am I as desperate for publicity as you
clearly are oh Scholar of the Supernatural. I presume you looked on that
article as your springboard to fame and fortune eh Barker? That they'd
all soon come knocking on your door.

No, we did it against our better judgment to help publicise somebody
else's book. I have never wanted to be anything more than a very
casual, very small press. As such, I do not crave the publicity.

Another dismal failure in your part in other words.

No, but it would be fair to say that when we decided to agree to the
interview in order to help raise the book's profile, we had not
expected malicious malcontents like your bad self to harp on about it
so much. Otherwise we would have either not done it, or else correct
the very many errors which appeared in the article.

Never mind Barker, in a few months time they'll start auditioning
for next years "Big Brother".

michael adams

I doubt there is any greater critic of reality TV than myself.

Still, well done, Mickey-love. You got through a whole post without
denigrating my wife and children.

Old June 5th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 5 Jun 2006 13:39:21 -0700, "Shelf Space"
wrote:

Whatever. The fact remains that you are a fraud and are widely regarded
as such by several genuine antiquarian booksellers.

My good fellow, the voices in your head are not considered to be
genuine antiquarian booksellers. It so happens that I count the major
specialty dealers in my field in both the US and UK as friends and
colleagues. I certainly won't post names as your habits of stalking
and annoying people is well-known. Suffice it to say, my clients
include the the most highly regarded dealers and collectors in the
field and most of these people shun you like the pariah that you are.

"The lowest of the low!" - Noted bookseller on Chris Barker

Good day to you, you pathetic little ******.

Cheers,

John
Old June 6th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

Whatever. The fact remains that you are a fraud and are widely regarded
as such by several genuine antiquarian booksellers.

My good fellow, the voices in your head are not considered to be
genuine antiquarian booksellers. It so happens that I count the major
specialty dealers in my field in both the US and UK as friends and
colleagues. I certainly won't post names as your habits of stalking
and annoying people is well-known. Suffice it to say, my clients
include the the most highly regarded dealers and collectors in the
field and most of these people shun you like the pariah that you are.

"The lowest of the low!" - Noted bookseller on Chris Barker

Good day to you, you pathetic little ******.

Cheers,

John

My, such language!

If I 'named names', you would be finished. You would crawl away under a
rock somewhere and die. Suffice to say that several high profile genre
booksellers deem you an arrogant braggart who lies about his book
collection, and furthermore, one who lies about book descriptions.

The fact that you are such an aggressive person coupled with your
penchant for low-end sadistic horror is the reason why no one wants to
you confront you direct. However, please be assured that your antics
are freely discussed in private, and many anecdotes pertaining to your
absurd behaviour are doing the rounds.

Old June 6th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam wrote:

Kiss kiss.... now run on home to your mommy and tell her that I won't
play with you.

Ah but you DO want to play, trouble is you are a moron.
Now come up with another one of your half-witted rejoinders little boy.

Old June 6th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

[...]

*yawns* Fact is that most "high profile" booksellers won't have
anything to do with you, so this is obviously nonsense.

The fact that you are such an aggressive person coupled with your
penchant for low-end sadistic horror is the reason why no one wants to
you confront you direct. However, please be assured that your antics
are freely discussed in private, and many anecdotes pertaining to your
absurd behaviour are doing the rounds.

*yawns*

You really do enjoy having your ass kicked, don't you? Discussions
that you conduct with the voices in your head are hardly a concern of
mine. A confedercacy of dunces, as it were.

Now run along, that's a good toad...

Cheers,

John