How important is it to have 3 values in catalog?

Old July 5th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Default How important is it to have 3 values in catalog?

I've been looking at the new SCWPM Modern Issues 14th edition and it
occurred to me that maybe it's unnecessary to include values for VG, VF, and
UNC when in my experience all most collectors want are perfect UNC notes.

I realize some of the rarer and older notes are desirable in lesser grades,
but do you really think it's required to list VG and VF pricing? A great
number of notes are listed at FV in anything less than UNC, and given how
unreliable the SCWPM pricing can be anyway, would the lack of VG and VF
pricing be a deal killer for catalog buyers?

Old July 5th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote in message
I've been looking at the new SCWPM Modern Issues 14th edition and it
occurred to me that maybe it's unnecessary to include values for VG, VF,
and
UNC when in my experience all most collectors want are perfect UNC notes.

I realize some of the rarer and older notes are desirable in lesser
grades,
but do you really think it's required to list VG and VF pricing? A great
number of notes are listed at FV in anything less than UNC, and given how
unreliable the SCWPM pricing can be anyway, would the lack of VG and VF
pricing be a deal killer for catalog buyers?

They may have a program that calculates the values for all grades when just
one grade/value is entered I see no point in listing values below vf for
notes from 1961 onwards unless an issue is only found in low grade.

The Banknote Year Book UK give values for modern notes in EF and Unc, older
notes in VF and EF, and for notes about pre 1930 in fine and VF.

A very sensible system than cannot be bettered IMHO.

Common modern notes are usually not desirable below EF but for older notes
fine or even vg is acceptable. Billy

Old July 6th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
FBNeNotes

On Jul 6, 3:50�am, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Thanks for your input. I guess if the data is available, it's worth
publishing in different grades, but I rarely see modern notes sold in
anything less than UNC.

On 7/5/08 5:01 PM, in article
, "Coffee's For Closers"

wrote:
In article ,
says...
I've been looking at the new SCWPM Modern Issues 14th edition and it
occurred to me that maybe it's unnecessary to include values for VG, VF, and
UNC when in my experience all most collectors want are perfect UNC notes.

I realize some of the rarer and older notes are desirable in lesser grades,
but do you really think it's required to list VG and VF pricing? A great
number of notes are listed at FV in anything less than UNC, and given how
unreliable the SCWPM pricing can be anyway, would the lack of VG and VF
pricing be a deal killer for catalog buyers?

Some of us are on a lower budget, and look for more modest notes.
Settling for one that is crumpled, etc, means that at least I "a"
sample. �As opposed to not having one at all.

So, yes, I would consider it important for a catalogue to list
the lower grades/prices.- Hide quoted text -

Low value(under $2.00) Modern Notes are usually sold-offered in lots
and is a good starting point for beginners and
low budget buyers.
So... FV(face value) and any and all values shown are a Plus.

Reminder: I occasionally list the latest catalog value/s in my store
and auctions.
CV = Catalog Value and is given for reference purposes only. The
values are not written in stone and are Only a Guide for collectors as
values are ever changing in different regions of the World.
Thanks,
Donald.. FBNeNotes
http://wensy.com/storecatalog.asp?userid=2069
Old July 6th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I agree that catalog values should be used only as a general guide, but some
of the SCWPM values are so far off the mark that they fail even this test.
Case in point are the many examples where the UNC notes are listed at less
than face value. Ultimately what's needed is a wholesale revamping of the
catalog values to reflect actual market prices.

On 7/6/08 7:43 AM, in article
,

Old July 6th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

"Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote in message
I agree that catalog values should be used only as a general guide, but
some
of the SCWPM values are so far off the mark that they fail even this test.
Case in point are the many examples where the UNC notes are listed at less
than face value. Ultimately what's needed is a wholesale revamping of the
catalog values to reflect actual market prices.

Owen;

The SCWPM values are the values that are given to them by contributors, for
better or worse. I don't even bother to update my catalogues, I bought mine
in the mid 1990's and look at the prices as subjective. Knowledge is
ultimately the key in buying or selling. I collect stuff that sells for
much higher than catalogue, all the whilst something else sells for far
less, because for example hoards being released etc. that have not had
values reported into the SCWPM by the contributors.

--
My Website on Numismatics - Scottish in Particular:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney

Old July 6th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

The problem as I see it is that there probably is no system in place for
justifying those values in the catalog. What's needed is documentation that
can be traced back with actual citations of dealer prices, auction results,
eBay sales, etc.

Old July 6th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

"Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote in message
The problem as I see it is that there probably is no system in place for
justifying those values in the catalog. What's needed is documentation
that
can be traced back with actual citations of dealer prices, auction
results,
eBay sales, etc.

Owen;

It is a narsty but truth that the contributors are known to have skewed
prices in favour of what they desire them to be based on buying and selling
in the marketplace.

For example Czechoslovakia P-17 is very very rare in high grade, it is not
even priced for Uncirculated. It is the 100 Korun from 1920 with Slavia
from an Alfons Mucha work, it is a very very popular note with Czech
collectors, because of the design of the note, it was printed by ABNco, and
was replaced in 1931, so that pristine examples are very hard to come by,
but it is priced low in XF in the catalogue. Go figure. Slavia is even
mis-described as a Pagan Priestess, which is farcical given that Slavia is a
known and published Mucha work. In a couple of years of looking, I have not
been able to find a nicer than repaired VF for this note.

Other notes from Czechoslovakia, for example P-20, the 10 Korun of 1927 are
priced much lower than actual market value. Generally when these are
available, and NOT specimen cancels, the best examples come out of the Czech
Republic.

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...oslovakia.html

The Czechoslovakian notes are some of the best printed, and loveliest
designed notes that ever circulated in Central Europe, many in fact were
designed by Alfons Mucha, one of my favourite graphic artists.

Old July 7th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:40:23 -0700, "Owen W. Linzmayer"
wrote:

I've been looking at the new SCWPM Modern Issues 14th edition and it
occurred to me that maybe it's unnecessary to include values for VG, VF, and
UNC when in my experience all most collectors want are perfect UNC notes.

Not everybody wants perfect UNC notes. Not all notes are perfect UNC.
What is your alternative?

I realize some of the rarer and older notes are desirable in lesser grades,
but do you really think it's required to list VG and VF pricing? A great
number of notes are listed at FV in anything less than UNC, and given how
unreliable the SCWPM pricing can be anyway, would the lack of VG and VF
pricing be a deal killer for catalog buyers?

So long as people are desirous of buying and selling banknotes in less
than UNC grades, then the answer is yes. If dealers are willing to
sell all these rare and otherwise valuable but less than UNC notes at
two for a dollar, then I wouldn't have a problem with that either!

Padraic