WTC coins

Old June 30th 03, 10:55 PM
ajb723

Default WTC coins

I'm not a coin collector so please forgive me if this subject has been
brought up before. I've inherited some gold coins from a relative. Some are
in lucite cases and are marked as WTC recovery coins (9/11/01).Are these
worth any more than similar coins without the WTC designation. Or is this
just a scam?
--
Alan

Old July 1st 03, 03:15 AM
phil small p

ajb723 wrote in message ...
I'm not a coin collector so please forgive me if this subject has been
brought up before. I've inherited some gold coins from a relative. Some are
in lucite cases and are marked as WTC recovery coins (9/11/01).Are these
worth any more than similar coins without the WTC designation. Or is this
just a scam?

After 9-11,some marketers found that it was to their advantage to buy
and market the coins recovered from the World Trade Center as
collectible.The general opinion of the collecting public (and us here
at rcc) is and was that this was a poor attempt for a few individuals
to make money from the general public who may be led to beleive that
these coins are more valuable because of the unfortunate connection to
events that led to their availability.
I can't and won't suppose to speak for others here,but aside from
their value as coins or precious metals,there is probably no real
value to them as collectibles based on their origin.The only value was
to the original sellers who were able to take advantage of uninformed
buyers who beleived they were getting something rare.If you google
back to around last summer,there ws much discussion on the subject
when these coins first became available.The overall opinion seemed to
be that these were blood money,and most collectors seemed to be
disgusted by the attempt of some individuals and media marketing
companies to take advantage of the public by selling these as rare and
valuable.
I'm sure you'd be able to sell them,but I really don't think you'll
find them as valuable as you may have been led to beleive.
hth- phil

Commemorative Coins FREE SHIPPING! rose General 0 November 24th 03 04:09 AM
Alberta Coins rose General 0 November 4th 03 03:46 PM
BC & Saskatchewan Coins rose General 0 November 1st 03 04:36 PM
FS: 1971 "Coins And Collectors" Hardcover Edition Book Jim Sinclair General 0 October 23rd 03 06:23 AM
Saskatchewan & Manitoba Coins rose General 0 October 20th 03 04:09 PM