I'm nervous

Old May 12th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I'm nervous

On Fri, 12 May 2006 13:38:30 GMT, JMark wrote:

Precious metal (bullion) investment has been historically viewed as a
hedge against inflation - generally speaking .

And as such, with inflation demand increases and so does the spot
value, correct? The government is concerned about rising inflation
rates. I am too.

snip
more severe prognosticators have commented that at such time regular
money becomes useless - you'd be better served with a firearm or three
and plenty of ammo.

I'm not quite that pessimistic (to envision a total collapse of the
monetary system). When the day comes that I need firearms to survive,
I won't survive. That will be my choice.

The most reasonable to me is that precious metals are a hedge. The
hedge will be remain viable if you hold the silver as values remain high
and you will still have the silver if any of the other conditions arise
(whatever happened to Howard Ruff?).

I'd never heard of him. But, hit #1 on Google results in
http://www.rufftimes.com/

The consideration is whether you
convert the "value" of the silver to liquid, non-appreciating cash to
effectively realize a paper increase in net worth and assist your
current purchasing power for daily needs, or hold the value in the
silver until it appears your purchasing power is safe and before the
price drops back to less hyped levels.

I'm not in immediate need of extra cash. Perhaps you've answered my
question. My stash was obtained with the hope of turning a profit
though. Watching kitco closely, nervously. lol

The answer to such considerations would seemingly not be best made by
the consensus of a newsgroup.

Perhaps not. But, you folks are a lot more knowledgeable than my RL
acquaintances. I also look for opinions on various web sites. So many
conflicting thoughts on the matter.
Old May 13th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 12 May 2006 07:56:35 -0700, Bob Johnson
wrote:

You have doubled your money, so selling half to get back your origianl
investment will give you a "free ride" on the balance and make you
less nervous. Regardless of what silver does, you will not kick
yourself too much. If it keeps going up you might say you should not
have sold half, and if it goes down you will be happy you sold half,
either way a good compromise.

You and John made essentially the same suggestion. And, a good one it
would seem to me. It makes a lot of sense.

Just one problem: No doubt I would cherry pick the half to keep, and
later on it would be a bit harder to part with. No doubt, some items
are lodged securely in my collection almost regardless of what silver
does anyway.

After listening to all the very helpful suggestions made, I think the
thing I need to do immediately is to go through the hoard and separate
the items I view as just silver from the more interesting pieces so I
am ready to move when the time comes. Chances are, I will need to
move quickly at that time. So I need to get ready.
Old May 13th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

[...]

I consider myself a pure collector, and as such, I wouldn't consider selling the
silver coins I have collected and accumulated just because their value has
risen. Anymore than I have considered selling any key or semi-key non-bullion
coins that may have tripled in value. I simply enjoy them all -- keys and
"junk, gold and aluminum. I never began collecting coins with a goal of
bailing out at a certain profit level. Nice to be able to sell at a profit if
an emergency dictated it, but meanwhile for me it's just as much fun following
Kitco.com and updating my paper profits.

Bruce

Old May 13th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
In article Cy99g.11657$8q.4309@dukeread08, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

i seperate my collecting from my speculating. my coins
collection i keep. the metal i bought, i hope to make a
profit on.
for speculating i stuck to what i know, coins. made it
easier to buy and sell. i hope i am as good a speculator as
collector.

I guess if I had accumulated common silver coins from searching change or for
investment purposes, I would indeed be looking to get rid of them as bullion at
the "right price". But, unfortunately for me, I never did save much common
silver. What common silver coins I do have I consider part of my collection and
not subject to bullion speculation. Like I said, though, I still like to play
the paper profit game with what I have.

Bruce

Old May 13th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

There is a saying on Wall Street. "Pigs get taken to slaughter". It is
better to sell on a rising market than in a falling market, even if the
price is the same. I bought some stock a few years ago and when it
doubled in price I sold half. It did go higher but then went into
freefall. I sold the second half at a price under what I sold the first
half, but even if it went to a dollar, I was still ahead. Keep in mind
that nobody here KNOWS what is going to happen, just their own WAG.
Your guess is as good as anyone elses. The thing that concerns me is
that you are worrying about it. It isn't worth worrying over, bad for
your health. In that case, I recommend selling just so you can stop
worrying. JMHO

Old May 13th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jud" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is a saying on Wall Street. "Pigs get taken to slaughter". It is
better to sell on a rising market than in a falling market, even if the
price is the same. I bought some stock a few years ago and when it
doubled in price I sold half. It did go higher but then went into
freefall. I sold the second half at a price under what I sold the first
half, but even if it went to a dollar, I was still ahead. Keep in mind
that nobody here KNOWS what is going to happen, just their own WAG.
Your guess is as good as anyone elses. The thing that concerns me is
that you are worrying about it. It isn't worth worrying over, bad for
your health. In that case, I recommend selling just so you can stop
worrying. JMHO

You don't seem to be replying to my specific post, but if you are, the last
thing I am worried about is bullion prices-- up or down. I collect coins for
the satrisfaction it gives me. I have no interest in selling as a knee-jerk
reaction to a sudden increase in bullion prices. If I did, I would be sitting
here with some more money in the bank and nothing left to satisfy my collecting
needs in my retirement years. The fruits of over fifty years worth of
collecting coins are not worth dumping for a whiz bang profit. The coins
themselves mean more to me than what they're worth in dollars. JMHO, too.

Bruce

Old May 14th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Bruce Remick wrote:

You don't seem to be replying to my specific post, but if you are, the last
thing I am worried about is bullion prices-- up or down. I collect coins for
the satrisfaction it gives me. I have no interest in selling as a knee-jerk
reaction to a sudden increase in bullion prices. If I did, I would be sitting
here with some more money in the bank and nothing left to satisfy my collecting
needs in my retirement years. The fruits of over fifty years worth of
collecting coins are not worth dumping for a whiz bang profit. The coins
themselves mean more to me than what they're worth in dollars. JMHO, too.

Bruce

Actually Bruce, I was responding to the OP who was nervous about his
bullion holdings.

Old May 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jud" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bruce Remick wrote:

You don't seem to be replying to my specific post, but if you are, the last
thing I am worried about is bullion prices-- up or down. I collect coins for
the satrisfaction it gives me. I have no interest in selling as a knee-jerk
reaction to a sudden increase in bullion prices. If I did, I would be
sitting
here with some more money in the bank and nothing left to satisfy my
collecting
needs in my retirement years. The fruits of over fifty years worth of
collecting coins are not worth dumping for a whiz bang profit. The coins
themselves mean more to me than what they're worth in dollars. JMHO, too.

Bruce

Actually Bruce, I was responding to the OP who was nervous about his
bullion holdings.

In that case, I guess I'd agree with most of what you said.

Bruce

I'm getting nervous Vector Coins 13 June 25th 05 06:07 AM
Would this buyer make you nervous? Mame Coins 7 August 12th 04 12:47 AM
I just met Michael Bolton DebSer5 Autographs 5 December 9th 03 12:41 AM