No commercial postings, please!

Old February 13th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default No commercial postings, please!

See the FAQs:

http://www.massmedia.com/~mikeb/rcb/

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 13th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 13th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Mrs. O'Leary" wrote in message

http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Of course, if you had actually read the FAQ to which John so graciously
supplied the link, you would have seen that mention of your cool website as
part of your sig line is totally appropriate for this group.

To quote:
1.6 How Do I Advertise My Cool Website?
Add the information below your "signature". It is considered rude to just
blurt out an ad, but if you join in the discussions people will see the
information, and be more interested in visiting as well.

Please note that if your website is not cool, other rules may apply.

You're welcome.

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old February 13th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"my-wings" wrote in message

You're welcome.

You're stupid.

Old February 13th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Mrs. O'Leary" wrote:

You're stupid.

Hi, there, fundoc.

08:05:01 EST)

Your headers, I believe? Tut, tut! And just when I thought you had nowhere
further to sink to!

P.S. Thanks for the back-up, Alice, but with a congenital retard like this
one there's just no point!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 13th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
"Mrs. O'Leary" wrote:

You're stupid.

Hi, there, fundoc.

Hi mullethead.

08:05:01 EST)

Your headers, I believe?

Perhaps. Or perhaps I'm not the only person who lives New York who thinks
your using the FAQ as an excuse to spam your commercial website in a
noncommercial newsgroup is a tad hypocritical.

Old February 13th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fundoc wrote:

Perhaps. Or perhaps I'm not the only person who lives New York who thinks
your using the FAQ as an excuse to spam your commercial website in a
noncommercial newsgroup is a tad hypocritical.

Yawn. Is this the only contribution you have to make to this newsgroup? When
are you going to get a life!

Anyway, you shut up about this for several months once I managed to hive off
the informational (.org) stuff from the commercial (.com) stuff. What the
heck's still eating you?

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 13th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fundoc wrote:

Perhaps. Or perhaps I'm not the only person who lives New York who thinks
your using the FAQ as an excuse to spam your commercial website in a
noncommercial newsgroup is a tad hypocritical.

Yawn. Is this the only contribution you have to make to this newsgroup?

I just bought a copy of Tony Curtis's "Kid Andrew Cody & Julie Sparrow" on
ebay, inscribed to Jack Lemmon. Worst book ever written. Want to talk about
it? Oh that's right, no discussion of books here, just where to sell them.

When are you going to get a life!

Said the guy who spends his days plugging random NTTP strings from usenet
posts into Whois on the odd chance that it might be me.

Anyway, you shut up about this for several months once I managed to hive
off
the informational (.org) stuff from the commercial (.com) stuff. What the
heck's still eating you?

Look, I know you're not too terrifically bright, so I'll go slowly. Use your
finger to follow along if necessary. A hypothetical:

Let's say that you're a Mormon, okay? And you have two wives. And you see
someone else with two wives. And you say: "Hey, it's immoral to have two
wives." And I say it's hypocritical of you to comment on someone else's two
wives when you have two wives of your own. Can you say "I'm not a hypocrite
because the Book of Morman says I can have two wives?" No. You're merely a
Mormon in good standing with two wives who's a hypocrite.

Now here, someone posts a link to an ebay auction. You say, hey, no posting
of ebay auctions. And in the very post in which you decry posts advertising
ebay auctions, there's link leading to your own ebay auctions. Its right on
this page, which is accessible from your sig file:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...sinjapanQ2ecom

So I say you're a hypocrite. And you say no I'm not, because the FAQ says
its okay to post web links in sig files. Well yes, maybe it it does; I've
never read it. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't define the word "hypocrite" to
mean something other than what it says in the dictionary. Nor could it.

"Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have beliefs, virtues and feelings
that one does not truly possess . . . a classic example of a hypocritical
act is to denounce another for carrying out some action whilst carrying out
the same action oneself."

See: to denounce another for carrying out some action whilst carrying out
the same action oneself.

Nothing about FAQs. Nothing about keeping usenet free of ebay auctions.
Nothing even about Mormons. Just stuff about your behavior in relation to
the behavior of other people.

BTW, here's an interesting thought: you say that I shut up about your
hypocrisy once you "hive[d] off the informational (.org) stuff from the
commercial (.com) stuff." Does that mean you were being hypocritical before?
Because you always denied it then. Agenbite of inwit, innit.

Thus endeth the lesson, mullethead. You can stop moving your lips any time
now.

Regards,

Mrs. O'leery

Old February 13th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fundoc wrote:

I just bought a copy of Tony Curtis's "Kid Andrew Cody & Julie Sparrow"
on ebay, inscribed to Jack Lemmon. Worst book ever written. Want to talk
about it? Oh that's right, no discussion of books here,

Talk about the inscription, why don't you? Details of an association copy
are perfectly in order. And if you drift over into content, *I* shan't
complain.

But do you feel that this newsgroup *should* be about the content of books?
There are other newsgroups that deal with that. What's wrong with going to
one and discussing Tony Curtis's work there? Or do you find hanging around
here and whining preferable to going to another group and making a positive
contribution?

just where to sell them.

That's one topic that people sometimes bring up. It doesn't come up all that
often, and it's not a topic I'm particularly interested in, personally. I
prefer all the ins and outs of identifying edition points, establishing
provenance and authenticity, and so on, that make the group worth while. Oh,
and the banter...

When are you going to get a life!

Said the guy who spends his days plugging random NTTP strings from usenet
posts into Whois on the odd chance that it might be me.

Hardly an offchance; it had your pawmarks all over it. Unfortunately, trying
to cope with false and assumed and stolen identities is a feature of modern
life.

Look, I know you're not too terrifically bright

Coming from you, that's a compliment!

Now here, someone posts a link to an ebay auction. You say, hey, no
posting of ebay auctions. And in the very post in which you decry
posts advertising ebay auctions, there's link leading to your own ebay
auctions. Its right on this page, which is accessible from your sig file

Yawn again. I have never decried sigs of any kind. Unlike you, I have no
quarrel with anyone's sig. If I did, it would be hypocritical, wouldn't it,
to have a sig of my own which either is or leads to a commercial site?

The only person who seems to have a quarrel with sigs is you.

"Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have beliefs, virtues and feelings
that one does not truly possess . . . a classic example of a hypocritical
act is to denounce another for carrying out some action whilst carrying
out the same action oneself."

I see. You mean, like the way you denounce people for trying to "police" the
newsgroup and then set about trying to police it yourself?

BTW, here's an interesting thought: you say that I shut up about your
hypocrisy

That is begging the question. I say no such thing!

Does that mean you were being hypocritical before?

No, it doesn't. Thank you for asking.

Now, banter aside, do you have anything remotely positive that you wish to
share with people here?

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old February 13th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fundoc wrote:

I just bought a copy of Tony Curtis's "Kid Andrew Cody & Julie Sparrow"
on ebay, inscribed to Jack Lemmon. Worst book ever written. Want to talk
about it? Oh that's right, no discussion of books here,

Talk about the inscription, why don't you? Details of an association copy
are perfectly in order. And if you drift over into content, *I* shan't
complain.

I'm not interested in discussing my extensive collection of rare and
atrocious books with the likes of you.

But do you feel that this newsgroup *should* be about the content of
books?
There are other newsgroups that deal with that. What's wrong with going to
one and discussing Tony Curtis's work there? Or do you find hanging around
here and whining preferable to going to another group and making a
positive
contribution?

Whining? Mrs. O'Leary's initial post in this thread consisted of your sig
file, quoted, with zero words added. Just your sig file. Then some yenta
wrote an essay about the quoting of your sig file. Then you investigated the
post that quoted your sig file by examining the headers and running a DNS
check, and then you wrote a post addressing the yenta's post addressing the
quoting of your sig file. There's really not too much of me whining in that
sequence.

just where to sell them.

That's one topic that people sometimes bring up. It doesn't come up all
that
often,

Pull the other one.

and it's not a topic I'm particularly interested in, personally. I
prefer all the ins and outs of identifying edition points, establishing
provenance and authenticity, and so on, that make the group worth while.
Oh,
and the banter...

Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father;
hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy,
flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, Squadron Leader.

It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite
right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back
on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his
can in the Bertie.

No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.

When are you going to get a life!

Said the guy who spends his days plugging random NTTP strings from usenet
posts into Whois on the odd chance that it might be me.

Hardly an offchance; it had your pawmarks all over it. Unfortunately,
trying
to cope with false and assumed and stolen identities is a feature of
modern
life.

I'm not following your numbskullery. Did you think fundoc was my christian
name? Or that someone was after Mrs. O'Leary's cow's SS number?

Look, I know you're not too terrifically bright

Coming from you, that's a compliment!

Now here, someone posts a link to an ebay auction. You say, hey, no
posting of ebay auctions. And in the very post in which you decry
posts advertising ebay auctions, there's link leading to your own ebay
auctions. Its right on this page, which is accessible from your sig file

Yawn again. I have never decried sigs of any kind.

Well yes, you find your own conduct unobjectionable, that's kind of my
point. You do so because you draw an artificial distinction between your ad
and someone else's ad based merely upon where it appears in the respective
post. Their ad at top of post, bad. Your ad at bottom of post, good.

This thread started when you posted a message that said "No commercial ads"
at the top and had an ad for your commercial website at the bottom. It's
not quantum physics to identify the contradiction there.

Unlike you, I have no
quarrel with anyone's sig. If I did, it would be hypocritical, wouldn't
it,
to have a sig of my own which either is or leads to a commercial site?

That would be hypocritical, yes. That it is doesn't preclude other things
from being hypocritical as well.

The only person who seems to have a quarrel with sigs is you.

I don't have a problem with your sig file, or anyone's sig file, or your
posts, or the contents of anyone's posts. I don't tell anyone what or how to
post and never have except to the extent that I occasionally ask Paghat to
post more hot girl on girl book collecting stories. I'm commenting upon the
content of your post. Post away. Sig file away. Hypocrisy in Japan away.
Frankly, I like it when you're hypocritical because then I get to kick you
for it.

"Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have beliefs, virtues and feelings
that one does not truly possess . . . a classic example of a hypocritical
act is to denounce another for carrying out some action whilst carrying
out the same action oneself."

I see. You mean, like the way you denounce people for trying to "police"
the
newsgroup and then set about trying to police it yourself?

I'm not policing anything. I'm pointing out your foibles and calling you
names.

WTF. That's exactly what you said:

"Anyway, you shut up about this for several months once I managed to hive
off the informational (.org) stuff from the commercial (.com) stuff. What
the heck's still eating you?"

You snipped it out. Very disingenuous. Did you think I wouldn't notice?

Does that mean you were being hypocritical before?

No, it doesn't. Thank you for asking.

Now, banter aside, do you have anything remotely positive that you wish to
share with people here?

I have a new sig file. Enjoy.

--
fundoc

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/187... 204883QQrdZ1

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/286...02205088QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTAIGNES-ESSAY...cmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/286...02205088QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTAIGNES-ESSAY...cmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/286...02205088QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTAIGNES-ESSAY...cmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/286...02205088QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTAIGNES-ESSAY...cmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTAIGNES-ESSAY...cmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTAIGNES-ESSAY...cmd ZViewItem

Selling as fundoc on ebay
Selling as fundoc on half.com
Selling as fundoc on abe.com
Hardcovers, paperbacks, fiction, nonfiction, first editions, book club
editions,
readers digest condesations, anthologies, encyclopedias, dictionaries,
textbooks, cookbooks, newspapers (individually or by the ton), periodicals,
magazines (no National Geographics please!), comics, porn, ephemera, old
shopping lists, bought, sold, traded, bartered.
http://Ibuyandsellbooks.com
http://notacommercialsoliciation.com
http://no ebay ads please.org