Things found in books

Old March 1st 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

Default Things found in books

I picked up a couple of old NYC history books at a local thrift shop
yesterday.
When I got home and started looking through them, I found an old $1 bill
silver certificate from 1957!

Old March 1st 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
scotkamins

In article ,
"RWF" wrote:

I picked up a couple of old NYC history books at a local thrift shop
yesterday.
When I got home and started looking through them, I found an old $1 bill
silver certificate from 1957!

Whoa! Nice find, Bob!!!
Old March 7th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Matt J. McCullar

"RWF" wrote in message
I picked up a couple of old NYC history books at a local thrift shop
yesterday.
When I got home and started looking through them, I found an old $1 bill
silver certificate from 1957!

Most interesting thing I ever found in a used book was a mimeographed TV
station log sheet from an Iowa TV station in the early '60s, I think it was.
It listed precise times for the start and finish of each program, and
exactly what each TV commercial would feature (as well as start/finish
times). It was probably an old electronics book, from one of the engineers
of the station.

Old May 5th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
V. T. Eric Layton

RWF wrote:
I picked up a couple of old NYC history books at a local thrift shop
yesterday.
When I got home and started looking through them, I found an old $1 bill
silver certificate from 1957!

I once purchased an entire pallet of old (not necessarily valuable,
although many were) books from an auction in the Tampa, Florida area. I
noticed that many (approx: 20%) of the 1000+ books in the pallet
belonged to the same man, based on his bookplate.

Months after sorting through these books, I was thumbing through an old
copy of Joyce's Ulysses when I spotted a dentist appointment reminder
card with the gentleman's name and address on it. The card was about ten
years old based on the date of the appointment.

Using Google, I was able to find the man's phone number based on his
address. He lived about 50 or so miles south of me here in Tampa. I
called him. He was quite amazed to hear from me and how I got his name
and number.

It turns out this man was a grandfather in his late 70's who had moved
here to Florida after retiring from his career in Chicago, his
birthplace. He told me that his sister, a spinster who lived down here
already, received his personal library that he shipped to her before he
moved down.

Sadly, his sister was involved with some young shyster pseudo-Christian
cult members who got her to sign over everything to them in her will.
Before the old fellow could get settled down here, his sister died. He
hadn't seen his books since.

I guess the shysters weren't readers. They must have donated the library
to the charity where I bought them at auction. Chuck, the old fellow,
really wanted some keepsake to give to his two granddaughters before he
died. I invited him to my home and presented him with nearly two hundred
of his books.

He cried at my kitchen table. He only took about 25 books that were very
special to him. The rest he wanted me to keep. He even paid me $50 for
all my trouble. I didn't want the money, but he insisted. I was friends
with Chuck for quite a few years after that. We kept in touch via phone
and mail. I eventually lost track of him. I suspect he passed away.

You never know what you might find inside the covers of old books, in
addition to some fine reading. By the way, I still have all those books.

Regards,

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***
Old May 5th 09, 10:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_13_]

"V. T. Eric Layton" wrote in message
RWF wrote:
[...]

Interesting story, although it's complete rubBiSh. If as you claim the
sister received the old guy's books "before he moved" to Florida and left
the books to the alleged cult "before [he] . . . got settled" in Florida,
(1) how did the book have an appointment card in it with his Florida address
and (2) how did the card get in a book he never had possession of?

Good try though.

Old May 6th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
V. T. Eric Layton

foad wrote:

Interesting story, although it's complete rubBiSh. If as you claim the
sister received the old guy's books "before he moved" to Florida and
left the books to the alleged cult "before [he] . . . got settled" in
Florida, (1) how did the book have an appointment card in it with his
Florida address and (2) how did the card get in a book he never had
possession of?

Good try though.

Mea culpa. You are absolutely correct... and very observant. The details
of this story are hazy after the passing years. However, I assure you it
is a true story. The dentist's appointment card did indeed have
Chuck's Florida address, so he must have had contact with his books
before his sister died.

I've forgotten the details of how he lost possession of the books. It
was something to do with him not having the room for the 1000+ books
(there were only a fraction his collection in the pallet I bought) in
his small apartment in Sarasota, FL. His sister was storing them for him
in her own home in Lakeland, FL. When she died, the young folks she had
signed her possessions over to took ownership of everything and
liquidated it. Chuck actually pursued (unsuccessfully) a law suit to
contest the will.

Anyway, sorry the details of the story didn't jibe. I wouldn't have
wasted my time (and yours) by posting a fiction story in this newsgroup.
What I stated did actually happen.

Regards,

V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***