Building a library...

Old April 15th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Building a library...

On 15 Apr 2006 10:12:12 -0700,
(Bleach-bottle Bill) wrote:

A lengthy post... (Which has been snipped for reasons that should be
obvious)

Sorry, in all frankness I tried to read it and found it utterly
tedious.

Cheers,

John

Old April 15th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"John Pelan" wrote in message
On 15 Apr 2006 10:12:12 -0700,
(Bleach-bottle Bill) wrote:

A lengthy post... (Which has been snipped for reasons that should be
obvious)

Sorry, in all frankness I tried to read it and found it utterly
tedious.

Oooo, somebody's about to get flamed to Cleveland.

Old April 15th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fundoc wrote:

"John Pelan" wrote in message

On 15 Apr 2006 10:12:12 -0700,
(Bleach-bottle Bill) wrote:

A lengthy post... (Which has been snipped for reasons that should be
obvious)

Sorry, in all frankness I tried to read it and found it utterly
tedious.

Oooo, somebody's about to get flamed to Cleveland.

Whew. Only Cleveland. That is better than Sandusky.

Francis A. Miniter
Old April 17th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Don Phillipson wrote:
1. Discussion to date seems to omit current preferences,
e.g. the OP did not say he read mostly fiction, non-fiction,
19th century etc.

A good, well-rounded library of books I was forced to read in high
school and can now appreciate, books I never got a chance to
read in college and can now do so, books I've read and enjoyed
before and will do so again... (And a bunch of science fiction,
for the geek in me. William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, the
obligatory Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein, etc.)

Ted Jones wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think the "Folio Society" may be
your Pelikan. My suggestion, go to e-bay; search "folio society"; find a
book you like and buy it. Usually the cost will be quite modest. The
problem will be shipping.

Thanks; I poked around and did find some that looked interesting,
but then the price more than doubled with Royal Air Mail.

The book shop in Corina is "The Book Shop" in Corina.

Many, many thanks; through them and the ABAA's site, I found a
number of booksellers within a reasonable range (the Palisades,
etc) with titles I'm interested in.

Covina is just a convenient stopping place on the way to Redlands. A
couple of exits later, you could jump out, shout the "Och Tamale" and be
on your way.

A bulldog, then? Gazolly Gazump!

Fortunately the antique pen folk don't troll this newsgroup. There are
many who diss Quink. You may find a trip to the L.A. Pen Show in
February rewarding.

Fortunately, I don't have any antique pens, and could care less
what those folk have to say about Quink. Actually, I would
listen, as often such criticism is well founded. But for my
purposes, fueling a couple of cheapie pens (an Aurora Ipsilon
and a Pelikan M200) through law school notes, Quink did me
just fine; it flowed smoothly, dried quickly, and is readily available
(there's a Staples that carries it about three blocks from where I
was living while in law school). Shrug

wrote:
only characterize a certain percentage
of people who buy Eastons. Those are
the sort of people who are attracted to
them only because of their very high quality
of manufacture, but never reads the books.

ignorant ever to understand what such
a phrase means with respect to book
appreciation. But since you are aware
of that, what is to stop you from being
the sort of collector who actually reads
the books and absorbs the content as
well as appreciating the manufacture?

So, confused, Eastons are a worthwhile purchase then?
(Again, resale value isn't my focus; I want to populate my
shelves with good copies of old -- and yet to be
discovered -- favorites. But I'd also prefer not to have
anyone who "knows books" see half a wall of Eastons and
say to themselves, "ah, you're one of *those*...") Whatever
I get, Easton or otherwise, will be read before being shelved.

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
For one of the categories the OP mentioned, you don't get much choice
if content matters. The Oxford UP edition of Shakespeare a few years
ago is a long way ahead of all the earlier ones in its standard of
scholarship, and there aren't many alternative physical realizations
of it. For literary value, there's bugger-all point in owning any
earlier one.

Like this?

http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/gen...=9780199267170

Already on my shelf, though it's not the most attractive
(somewhat cheesy dust cover).

Old April 17th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

I'd like to start building a personal library. I'd love to find books
that are attractive to shelve and high quality, but still readable.

But I'd also prefer not to have
anyone who "knows books" see half a wall of Eastons and
say to themselves, "ah, you're one of *those*...")

One of "what"? (I'm guessing that you mean an elitist) I think that
everyone would agree that Eastons are, at the least, very attractive
and better than average quality. That meets the criteria you
mentioned in your first post.

If you're concerned that someone will think you're a "collector" and
not a "reader", keep whichever book you are reading close at hand. Of
course, if the library is in your office, people might think you're
reading fiction when you should be researching their problem. And if
it is in your house...well...anyone you invite into your home should
have an idea going in whether or not you are "one of those"

Old April 17th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you're making decisions about the kinds of books that you have in your
house based upon what you think people will think of you when they walk into
your house and see your books then you're an imbecile.

Old April 17th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:

1. Discussion to date seems to omit current preferences,
e.g. the OP did not say he read mostly fiction, non-fiction,
19th century etc.

A good, well-rounded library of books I was forced to read in high
school and can now appreciate, books I never got a chance to
read in college and can now do so, books I've read and enjoyed
before and will do so again... (And a bunch of science fiction,
for the geek in me. William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, the
obligatory Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein, etc.)

SNIP

wrote:

only characterize a certain percentage
of people who buy Eastons. Those are
the sort of people who are attracted to
them only because of their very high quality
of manufacture, but never reads the books.

ignorant ever to understand what such
a phrase means with respect to book
appreciation. But since you are aware
of that, what is to stop you from being
the sort of collector who actually reads
the books and absorbs the content as
well as appreciating the manufacture?

So, confused, Eastons are a worthwhile purchase then?
(Again, resale value isn't my focus; I want to populate my
shelves with good copies of old -- and yet to be
discovered -- favorites. But I'd also prefer not to have
anyone who "knows books" see half a wall of Eastons and
say to themselves, "ah, you're one of *those*...") Whatever
I get, Easton or otherwise, will be read before being shelved.

The structure of a collection can be almost anything. Ian Fleming put
together a collection of first printings of book that changed the world,
e.g. Watson and Crick, "The Double Helix". I, for instance, love to
put together a collection of Grove Press publications of books that were
banned, e.g. Henry Miller, "Tropic of Cancer".

My best suggestion is to buy copies, preferably firsts, of books that
you really think that you will like. Don't worry about how they look on
a shelf. As you buy and read, a pattern will develop. It does not have
to become apparent tomorrow or next month. You sound as though your
preferences are for traditional American and English literature. But
consider that there is a world of literature outside these two countries
that has much merit and which can alter your viewpoint of the world.
Don't blindside yourself from the start by imposing limitations on what
you will read or collect.

Read, Read more, Read even more.

Then you will know what you want.

Francis A. Miniter
Old April 17th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Fortunately the antique pen folk don't troll this newsgroup. There are
many who diss Quink. You may find a trip to the L.A. Pen Show in
February rewarding.

Fortunately, I don't have any antique pens, and could care less
what those folk have to say about Quink. Actually, I would
listen, as often such criticism is well founded. But for my
purposes, fueling a couple of cheapie pens (an Aurora Ipsilon
and a Pelikan M200) through law school notes, Quink did me
just fine; it flowed smoothly, dried quickly, and is readily available
(there's a Staples that carries it about three blocks from where I
was living while in law school). Shrug

I used to do all my original composition with a fountain pen. And
I used Quink. Not a great ink. Too thin, not really a true black.
We won't even speak of those who use (shudder) "blue" Quink. What
ever possessed our race to made blue ink is beyond me.

I found that I could not find for any money a pen that would not
dribble and blob over the page as I was writing. I gave up on
fountain pens. The good news is, by that time the personal
computer and word processor were invented. Whatever the faults of
my keyboard, it never blobs ink.
Old April 17th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

The structure of a collection can be almost anything. Ian Fleming
put together a collection of first printings of books that changed
the world, e.g. Watson and Crick, "The Double Helix".

Since when did any popular science book change the world?

Did Fleming think that book was how the result got into the public
domain?