Does the position stamps have been stuck to an envelope reduce orincrease it's value?

Old August 27th 18, 06:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Does the position stamps have been stuck to an envelope reduce orincrease it's value?

I would like to know whether the way stamps have been stuck to an envelope give different values to the cover?
That is if the stamp/s have been stuck to the top right corner gives more value to the envelope compared to having been stuck to the top left corner or bottom right/left corner or even stuck on various places such on top & bottom of envelope or even on other side of the envelope.

The reason I am asking this is I found at a local post office in my country (Mauritius), the proper place to stick stamps are to the top right corner.
But I have seen numerous( majority) of used envelopes I have obtained from companies mail have the stamps stuck haphazardly ( in any place what ever, top , bottom, middle, & both on front & back )

So I am wondering whether it is better to cut off stamps from such envelopes or leave them on for added value.

Thanks for your help in advance

Old August 27th 18, 07:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 9:58:21 AM UTC+4, wrote:
I would like to know whether the way stamps have been stuck to an envelope give different values to the cover?
That is if the stamp/s have been stuck to the top right corner gives more value to the envelope compared to having been stuck to the top left corner or bottom right/left corner or even stuck on various places such on top & bottom of envelope or even on other side of the envelope.

The reason I am asking this is I found at a local post office in my country (Mauritius), the proper place to stick stamps are to the top right corner.
But I have seen numerous( majority) of used envelopes I have obtained from companies mail have the stamps stuck haphazardly ( in any place what ever, top , bottom, middle, & both on front & back ) Some time the stamps are stuck upside down

Old August 27th 18, 07:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Some time the stamps are stuck upside down
Old August 27th 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

[...]

On the issuance of the Penny Black and Tuppenny Blue there were no
specific instructions on the user placing the stamp. The Mulready
sheets and envelopes had the 'stamp' central!

Most followed the 'upper right corner' as that's where the Postal
Authorities had been placing the sending offices mark, well
somewhere close to there!

With the stamps placed on the back or below, ther clerks could and
did mis-mark the letter as UNPAID, only to be [usually] corrected
before delivery. UNPAID letters were assessed -=twice=- the postage.

Without hunting I can't remember when the GPO began 'requiring' all
stamps to be in the UR for British mail. However exceptions
continued as when too many stamps were needed for postage, then they
went over onto the back.

The -=orientation=- of the stamp was used to convery messages. Look
on line for this information - example - Sideways, head to the
right, could mean love & kisses.

Torn envelopes are worth less than cut or slit, but except for
common mail OF TODAY, without any indicia, logo, art, etc. the
difference is minor. First and foremost -=condition=- is the major
part of value.

---

HELP - Cards Stuck Together [email protected] Baseball 0 March 22nd 06 09:18 PM
Stuck Sheets of stamps John Salmon Marketplace 3 November 3rd 04 12:39 PM
Stuck stamps joe US Stamps 1 October 30th 03 08:44 PM
Price further reduce to $129: Pelikan M600 fountain pen with Mottishawed flexible nib Sam LAI Pens & Pencils 1 September 12th 03 07:14 PM