A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Stamps » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Does the position stamps have been stuck to an envelope reduce orincrease it's value?

Old August 27th 18, 06:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Does the position stamps have been stuck to an envelope reduce orincrease it's value?

I would like to know whether the way stamps have been stuck to an envelope give different values to the cover?
That is if the stamp/s have been stuck to the top right corner gives more value to the envelope compared to having been stuck to the top left corner or bottom right/left corner or even stuck on various places such on top & bottom of envelope or even on other side of the envelope.

The reason I am asking this is I found at a local post office in my country (Mauritius), the proper place to stick stamps are to the top right corner.
But I have seen numerous( majority) of used envelopes I have obtained from companies mail have the stamps stuck haphazardly ( in any place what ever, top , bottom, middle, & both on front & back )

So I am wondering whether it is better to cut off stamps from such envelopes or leave them on for added value.

Thanks for your help in advance

Ads
Old August 27th 18, 07:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Does the position stamps have been stuck to an envelope reduce orincrease it's value?

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 9:58:21 AM UTC+4, wrote:
I would like to know whether the way stamps have been stuck to an envelope give different values to the cover?
That is if the stamp/s have been stuck to the top right corner gives more value to the envelope compared to having been stuck to the top left corner or bottom right/left corner or even stuck on various places such on top & bottom of envelope or even on other side of the envelope.

The reason I am asking this is I found at a local post office in my country (Mauritius), the proper place to stick stamps are to the top right corner.
But I have seen numerous( majority) of used envelopes I have obtained from companies mail have the stamps stuck haphazardly ( in any place what ever, top , bottom, middle, & both on front & back ) Some time the stamps are stuck upside down

So I am wondering whether it is better to cut off stamps from such envelopes or leave them on for added value.

Old August 27th 18, 07:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Some time the stamps are stuck upside down
Old August 27th 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Does the position stamps have been stuck to an envelope reduce or increase it's value?

But I have seen numerous( majority) of used envelopes I have obtained from companies mail have the stamps stuck haphazardly ( in any place what ever, top , bottom, middle, & both on front & back ) Some time the stamps are stuck upside down

On the issuance of the Penny Black and Tuppenny Blue there were no
specific instructions on the user placing the stamp. The Mulready
sheets and envelopes had the 'stamp' central!

Most followed the 'upper right corner' as that's where the Postal
Authorities had been placing the sending offices mark, well
somewhere close to there!

With the stamps placed on the back or below, ther clerks could and
did mis-mark the letter as UNPAID, only to be [usually] corrected
before delivery. UNPAID letters were assessed -=twice=- the postage.

Without hunting I can't remember when the GPO began 'requiring' all
stamps to be in the UR for British mail. However exceptions
continued as when too many stamps were needed for postage, then they
went over onto the back.

The -=orientation=- of the stamp was used to convery messages. Look
on line for this information - example - Sideways, head to the
right, could mean love & kisses.

Torn envelopes are worth less than cut or slit, but except for
common mail OF TODAY, without any indicia, logo, art, etc. the
difference is minor. First and foremost -=condition=- is the major
part of value.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus