Beck and Goldline International

Old May 19th 10, 11:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Beck and Goldline International

On May 18, 9:32*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

On May 18, 7:56 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote:
oly wrote:
On May 18, 2:59 pm, Ken Barr wrote:
In article ,
Frank Galikanokus wrote:

Talk show host Glenn Beck and Goldline International, a
California-based gold retailer, have colluded to use fear
mongering tactics to bilk investors, according to a stinging
report issued Tuesday by Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.).

Read mohttp://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37413.html

Wow ... a politician accusing a coin deeler and a talk radio host
of unethical behavior ...

It looks like I'm going to have to trot on down to Target for a new
irony meter ... mint just exploded!

--
Ken Barr Numismatics email:
P. O. Box 32541 website:http://www.kenbarr.com

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and if the sellers' wares
weren't too overpriced, presumably those "scared-out
of-their-shorts" gold buyers have done well recently.

Only if they bought at X and sold at Y, where Y X. How many
people buy gold for the short term? Likely not the scared/shorts
types.
If you're NOT worried about the future value of all the fiat
government paper and all the shabby government promises, that would
be a sign that something's quite wrong with your mental faculties.

Being worried and doing something pro-actively about it are two
usually-mutually-exclusive activities. How many times over the past
two to three years have you suddenly clammed up when I pointedly
asked what actions should be taken to protect oneself against those
evil things, mon vieux? Just sayin'

James

Seems to me that we've had federal fiat paper since the Civil War
with no tragic collapse in value so far, and we've gone through some
tough times and weak administrations over those 150 years. These
current times undoubtedly are among the most challenging for us, but
I see no reason to panic about the future value of our dollar. But
then I'm not a pessimist by nature.

History records numerous panics, recessions, and depressions, all while we
were on the esteemed "gold standard." Even gold could be considered "fiat"
money, since its value depends on what someone other than I says it is.
Don't get me wrong, I like gold, I like its looks, but I have yet to see a
well-crafted scenario of what would happen when push came to shove. If
somebody decides his loaf of bread is worth a St. Gaudens twenty, very few
indeed will eat. The rest will attempt to kill him who eats, and steal his
gold AND his bread.

James- Hide quoted text -

I think that pushing and shoving (and especially killing) is a bit
over the top. *In that situation on hopes there are still police. *If
not, things are very bad, indeed and exactly which form of money would
be best seems too hypothetical to make accurate predictions.

The observation that we have a form of social democracy, that our
leaders have populist inclinations and have expressed them in concrete
terms is enough for the question of stability of prices and a store of
value to be discussed.

The longer term trend for the price of gold has been clear enough
(from $20/Oz to $1200/Oz). *Inconveniently for an argument that we
should depend primarily on gold, it has occurred over a time frame
that exceeds a normal lifetime. *The case that it is a hedge against a
weakening currency is a case that much of the world understands.
Admittedly, the US dollar has behaved better than some other
currencies and folks who lived in Indonesia, Turkey or Zimbabwe tend
to scoff at our fretfulness; even so, perhaps in milder amounts,
inflation can happen here.

My eclectic choices of items to purchase does not seem to resemble
those chosen for the CPI since my expenses do seem to go up a lot and
the CPI does not. *Gold has done a somewhat better job of tracking my
expenses than the dollar has (e.g., in about 1960 a Piper PA-18-150,
new, cost about $5000; today a usable but thoroughly used one costs
about $80,000).

As for whether the advocates of one position or another have been
bribed, ask yourself whether the politicians are themselves pure.

My personal interest in gold as a commodity is as a hedge. *I have
sufficient cash for my needs. *My theory is that a small part needs to
be in something that will hold its value (or at least vary in value in
a different way than paper money). *Personally I prefer to keep some
coins and some Goerz Dagors. *They certainly won't ward off bullets,
but they might be useful in case doubts arise about the value of the
various forms of colored paper I have. *My broad theory about the
correct proportion in other things is to have enough that it be useful
in buying immediate needs and not be a significant (e.g., less that
5%) part of my savings.
============

In any extreme crisis scenario where the dollar actually becomes worthless,
one might be better off with a bunker of MRE's, bottled water, and an AK-47
w/ammo.....plus of course any particular Starbucks blend one just can't live
without. *That stock of gold kept as an inflation hedge will be of little
practical use unless you really need a nostalgia fix. * The process of
"buying things" will be a fond memory. *Fortunately, there's a happy ending
to this movie. *;)- Hide quoted text -

Sorry Mr. Remick, but Peter's reply beats yours' by a country mile.
You asked "where's the tragic collapse of the dollar?" and he
correctly replied that it's already happened, but it has been managed
over longer than one person's lifetime.

It is also much more difficult to see the decline when there are no
alternative foreign currencies that are based on/ convertible in fixed
ratios to precious metals. It's easier to be a drunk when the whole
world is the Bowery - you don't stand out nearly as distinctly.

Of course, we could still see the remaining 4% or 5% of the dollar's
pre-1913 value slip away in one fell swoop.

You really won't be able to use gold DURING a collapse or revolution.
Gold is the time machine that takes you from one side of a period of
anarchy to the other side when normality returns. Silver would be a
better tool during the bad times, but yes, actually having stored
goods for personal use or barter would be valuable too.

Have you noticed that the ammunition shortages aren't getting any
better???

oly
Old May 19th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

The ammunition shortages are being caused by irrational fears that somehow
the gummint is going to confiscate private firearms in the near future
(actually, shouldn't we wonder why it hasn't happened already, since these
fears were first expressed back in '07?), these fears, of course, being
trumped up by the radio talkers. There's just nothing quite like stoking
the fires of fear and hate via several hours a day output from the likes of
Beck and Limbaugh, and I know plenty of otherwise decent folks right here in
North Lugburz who have fallen under their sickening spell.

That said, your statement about not being able to use gold during a collapse
or revolution has merit. You really cannot predict the course of such an
event (viz. the French Revolution, one of history's greatest and most ironic
failures), so a resort to survivalism might get you through. How many rolls
of papier h will it take to trade for your pound of jerky, mon bon voisin?
And don't get any funny ideas, 'cause I know karate.

James the Barterer

Old May 19th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

James the Barterer- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, the French Revolution is probably THE guide for what could
happen in a "modern" "civilized" nation gone beserk. Flashing gold
during the French Revolution was a quick way to get a free shave by
the "National Razor".

They say that vendors sold "programs" of the names of those scheduled
to be guillotined each day to the crowd gathered to watch. I'll bet
the vendors didn't insist on anything other than assignats.

Nevertheless, I tend to think that silver dimes, quarters and half
dollars will function for the beef jerkey trade. My studies of the
German Hyperinflation 1919-1923 make me think that those who had
silver coins (and foreign notes and coins) didn't fare badly at all
during that period.

I balk at suggesting to you (or anyone), mon vieux, exactly what to do
because so many business/investment situations that I thought were
solid have bellied-up in the last three years. Things that I thought
were good also have done a great job of losing five-sixths of their
value with amazing consistency. Of course, most of the ones I thought
were crappy did not make it either, but my ability to identify the
good ones hasn't been stellar. Also, I strongly think that we will do
a "double-dip" recession in 2010-11.

oly

Old May 19th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

The old adage is to buy low and sell high.

The sad truth is that the vast majority of "investors" buy high and sell
low.

Now is not the time to buy, it's time to sell.

JAM
Old May 19th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

I harbor no illusions that the current "recovery" is anything other than a
fool's rally. There are still way too many people who stand to gain
handsomely from another market drop. They have the wherewithal to bring it
about, and they won't wait until the Dow is anywhere near 14k, methinks.

James

Old May 19th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

O Great Wise and Wonderful Prophet, whither the market?

James the Ob'd Servant

Old May 19th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

The only people pushing for a return to the gold standard are those that
are heavily invested in gold, like Ron Paul.

I think it's hilarious that he named his son Rand. He read a book in his
youth and has been infatuated with it ever since.

JAM
Old May 19th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

Mercy, I never made that connection, but now that you mention it...

James, with Slackened Jaw

Old May 19th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

Cannes: How the bankers fleeced the world
Director Charles Ferguson on his smash Cannes doc, which indicts the
financial sector as a "criminal industry"

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/m...son/index.html

JAM
Old May 19th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

"Mr. Jaggers" wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

[...]

When prices are at historic levels, when the buy, buy, buy messages
reaches hysterical levels, it's time to sell.

JAM

Jeff Beck salukidave Autographs 5 April 22nd 09 08:45 PM
Magglio Ordonez Detroit Tigers Chicago White Sox, Graded Rookies,1998 Bowman Chrome International Refractor 1 of 9 graded BGS 9 Mint, 1998Bowman Chrome International Refractor 1 of 23 graded PSA 9 Mint, 1998Donruss/Leaf Rookies & Stars Crusade Pu [email protected] Baseball 0 August 18th 08 12:39 AM
Mike Lowell Boston Red Sox Florida Marlins, Graded Rookies, 1998Bowman Chrome International 1 of 12 graded BGS 9.5 Gem Mint, 1998 BowmanChrome International Refractor 1 of 1 graded BGS 9 Mint [email protected] Baseball 0 August 15th 08 09:16 PM
BCI International and UMI Scrooge Books 0 April 21st 06 04:33 AM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] Coins 1 May 23rd 05 04:47 AM