Redonda

Old June 22nd 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default Redonda

I have been given a set of three stamps (25c, 55c, $4) of Redonda
commemorating the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. I
can't seem to find them anywhere in Scott. Are they cinderellas? Thanks in
advance.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old June 22nd 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:45:50 -0400, Tony Vella wrote:

I have been given a set of three stamps (25c, 55c, $4) of Redonda
commemorating the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana
Spencer. I can't seem to find them anywhere in Scott. Are they
cinderellas? Thanks in advance.

Pic? Link?

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 22nd 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Cinderella is a proper name Tony, so has a capital letter to afford it due
respect

Here are Redonda stamps, the Redonda Post Office, Postmaster and staff
http://cjoint.com/data/gweOTMy5LX.htm

Blair and I discussed this one back in the Middle paleolithic epoch
Google may have it in archive

HTH

Old June 22nd 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"WHERE IN THE WORLD"

Redonda is a small island in the Caribbean, and a dependency of Antigua. It
is the third and smallest of the Antiguan group, and is uninhabited. It lies
30 miles from Antigua's nearest point, half way between Montserrat and Nevis
with Montserrat being 13 miles away; about one mile long north to south,
less than half a mile wide; and rises nearly 1000 feet. It was sighted by
Columbus on the same day that he discovered Antigua, and he named the island
"Santa Maria La Redonda" (St. Mary the Round).

Phosphate was mined on the island from the 1860's to about 1920. Redonda was
annexed by Antigua in 1869 and labourers from Montserrat were employed on
the island. The island has been unoccupied since 1930. Goats, rats, crabs
and sea birds only inhabit the island.

In 1865 Matthew Sheill decided to claim the island as a fiefdom for his son,
Matthew Phipps Sheill, who was named King Phillipe I by his father. King
Phillipe soon gave his fiefdom to an English poet who named himself King
Juan I. Dukes and duchesses were created by Juan I who in turn appointed
another Englishman as his successor who now calls himself King Juan II.

Redonda has issued stamps since 1979 in anticipation of commercial and
tourist development. To date, this has not happened and the island remains
uninhabited. The stamps of Redonda are also valid for use in Antigua.The
Scott number 9106 was assigned previously; it is no longer in use.

acknowledgement: The Australian Stamp Monthly, January, 1991

Redonda

Redonda is a 0.5 square mile island in the eastern Carribean between
Montserrat and Nevis. It is owned by Antigua which began issuing stamps for
Redonda in 1979. Although Redondan stamps are postally valid in Antigua and
Barbuda, they are of questionable philatelic validity since Redonda is
uninhabited. Major catalogs do not carry detailed listings of stamps from
Redonda. The Scott number 9106 was assigned previously; it is no longer in
use. The series honors Nobel Prize winners.

Old June 22nd 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 22 June, 01:45, "Tony Vella" wrote:
I have been given a set of three stamps (25c, 55c, $4) of Redonda
commemorating the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. *I
can't seem to find them anywhere in Scott. *Are they cinderellas? *Thanks in
advance.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada --http://www.amedialuz.ca/

SG eschews all Redonda stamps as "issued in anticipation of commercial
and tourist development ... at the present time (2001 cat) the island
is uninhabited ... the stamps ... are valid ... in Antigua."

Your (complete) set is the first listed for 1981.

Chris
Old June 22nd 09, 10:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rodney" wrote in message

Blair and I discussed this one back in the Middle paleolithic epoch
Google may have it in archive

Yes, it has.

Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
From: "Rod"
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 04:00:23 +0800
Subject: Interesting Post Offices

Could we name this epoch AD? ;-)

--
Victor Manta

Old June 22nd 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 22, 5:39*am, "Victor Manta" wrote:

Could we name this epoch AD? ;-)

It is still the current PO on Redonda.

Old June 22nd 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 22, 1:26*pm, Tony Clayton wrote:
In a recent message wrote:

On 22 June, 01:45, "Tony Vella" wrote:
I have been given a set of three stamps (25c, 55c, $4) of Redonda
commemorating the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. *I
can't seem to find them anywhere in Scott. *Are they cinderellas? *Thanks in
advance.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada --http://www.amedialuz.ca/

SG eschews all Redonda stamps as "issued in anticipation of commercial
and tourist development ... at the present time (2001 cat) the island
is uninhabited ... the stamps ... are valid ... in Antigua."

Your (complete) set is the first listed for 1981.

Looking at the ground surrounding the 'Post Office' I am not
surprised that the island is uninhabited.

--
Tony Clayton * * * * *
Coins of the UK * * *:http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

By people maybe. The sea birds tend to like it.
8*)

Blair

Old June 23rd 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

....and kids,
there are lots of good slimy critters that live under rocks,
good for scaring girls with.

"Blair"