The world's 10 rarest stamps.

Old June 5th 09, 07:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default The world's 10 rarest stamps.

To illustrate the rate of appreciation of the Brit Guiana 1856
the following image I am about to post, rates it at GBP 20,000

Interestingly, the "XLSR" (cough,cough Excelsior) booklet
was printed in North Wales in 1953

It was an exact copy of the EH Harris booklet of the US
and printed under approval.

It was purchased in Perth in 1953 from Sands and McDougall's
Central Hay Street Perth.

In the coming days, I'll post images just one year later
of the top 118 rarest stamps, which has the Brit guiana at US$100,000.

So, the top 10 (1953)
http://cjoint.com/data/gfh5zfAqLD.htm

Old June 5th 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 5, 4:08 pm, "rodney" wrote:
To illustrate the rate of appreciation of the Brit Guiana 1856
the following image I am about to post, rates it at GBP 20,000

Interestingly, the "XLSR" (cough,cough Excelsior) booklet
was printed in North Wales in 1953

It was an exact copy of the EH Harris booklet of the US
and printed under approval.

It was purchased in Perth in 1953 from Sands and McDougall's
Central Hay Street Perth.

In the coming days, I'll post images just one year later
of the top 118 rarest stamps, which has the Brit guiana at US$100,000.

So, the top 10 (1953)http://cjoint.com/data/gfh5zfAqLD.htm

I don't see Barwani SG 18da in that list, Rodney. Obviously it's
rubbish.

Tony of the Antipathies
Old June 5th 09, 11:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

To illustrate the rate of appreciation of the Brit Guiana 1856
the following image I am about to post, rates it at GBP 20,000

Interestingly, the "XLSR" (cough,cough Excelsior) booklet
was printed in North Wales in 1953

It was an exact copy of the EH Harris booklet of the US
and printed under approval.

It was purchased in Perth in 1953 from Sands and McDougall's
Central Hay Street Perth.

In the coming days, I'll post images just one year later
of the top 118 rarest stamps, which has the Brit guiana at US$100,000.

So, the top 10 (1953)
http://cjoint.com/data/gfh5zfAqLD.htm

No mention of the tre skilling yellow error of colour of Sweden

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old June 5th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

wait!..... there's more.
In a slick piece of chicanery,
the "top 118 rarest stamps" that I was going to follow up on
(Life Magazine June 28th 1954)

What's that I spy? near the edge is a "Moluccas" issue, a darn Cinderella.
then in the middle of the cover spread, I spy Jind India, Navanagar India
and Jhalawar India......What! no Travancore!

as you say, obviously rubbish.

I'll post the item, if I am bored one day.

"Asia-translation"

Old June 5th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

In defence, it did say "some" of the rarest.

by default, would include one of the most recognisable postmarks in
philately.

"Tony Clayton"
No mention of the tre skilling yellow error of colour of Sweden

Old June 5th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"rodney"
I'll post the item, if I am bored one day.

The cover 1954
http://cjoint.com/data/gfoqaiddCX.htm

BTW, it is of some note, the two areas that defeated the collecting tsunami,
the great Philip von Ferrary, in collecting every stamp worldwide,
were the Indian states, and South Australia.

Old June 6th 09, 09:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Rarity & Price. Was: The world's 10 rarest stamps.

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Tony Clayton found these unused words:

No mention of the tre skilling yellow error of colour of Sweden

Then you have to dump in the 'Abnormals' of the Victorian GB. There are
far
fewer of each of them than the tre-skilling!

Rarity != Price !!!

I suppose that "!=" means "not equal", notation that originates in the C
programming language.

Indeed, some stamps are more desired than others, for different reasons, and
not only dependently on their rarity.

For example in countries with richer stamp collectors, that countries stamps
are usually more expensive, which is perfectly understandable from the
economic point of view.

If we make an analogy with the price of paintings, a domain where the prices
are veeery different, even if each painting is usually unique, we see again
that here the rarity is not the main reason that drives prices. Of course,
if a painter became famous and he left less paintings, then his paintings
are more expensive due to their rarity. One good example is Vermeer, with
some stamps that reproduce his work shown on my 12 years old page:

http://www.artonstamps.org/Art-Galle...er/vermeer.htm

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old June 6th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Tony Clayton found these unused words:

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

To illustrate the rate of appreciation of the Brit Guiana 1856
the following image I am about to post, rates it at GBP 20,000

[snip]
So, the top 10 (1953)
http://cjoint.com/data/gfh5zfAqLD.htm

No mention of the tre skilling yellow error of colour of Sweden

Then you have to dump in the 'Abnormals' of the Victorian GB. There are far
fewer of each of them than the tre-skilling!

As there is only one example of the tre skilling yellow error of colour
I suspect that statement is incorrect...

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Drive C: Error, (A)bort (R)etry (I)gnore (K)ick (S)cream
Old June 7th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Tony Clayton found these unused words:

In a recent message Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Tony Clayton found these unused words:

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

To illustrate the rate of appreciation of the Brit Guiana 1856
the following image I am about to post, rates it at GBP 20,000

[snip]
So, the top 10 (1953)
http://cjoint.com/data/gfh5zfAqLD.htm

No mention of the tre skilling yellow error of colour of Sweden

Then you have to dump in the 'Abnormals' of the Victorian GB. There are far
fewer of each of them than the tre-skilling!

As there is only one example of the tre skilling yellow error of colour
I suspect that statement is incorrect...

The number of stamps printed in the wrong color is unknown. {wiki, et al. on
the tre skilling]

The number found may still be 'one', but the number of the total possible
abnormals [of each type] is known.

Straws and clutching come to mind.

'One known' still remains less than the known number of abnormals.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Please think when you drink....

rarest coin ever codedigger Coins 1 January 23rd 07 02:07 AM
World's commonest stamps? Rodney General Discussion 25 March 27th 05 12:21 PM