Can anyone ID these Autralian

Old July 14th 03, 12:48 PM
Craig

Default Can anyone ID these Autralian

Hi there,

I have uploaded a scan of three stamps i can't seem to find in my SG
cat.

craigscorner.mysite.freeserve.com

If anyone has the time to look i would appreciate it. Please respond
to this thread as opposed to email.

Regards
Craig

Old July 14th 03, 01:28 PM
Frank Emanuel

"Craig" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have uploaded a scan of three stamps i can't seem to find in my SG
cat.

craigscorner.mysite.freeserve.com

If anyone has the time to look i would appreciate it. Please respond
to this thread as opposed to email.

Craig,

You are stopping short in your catalogue. Sometimes all the images are not
presented for a set of stamps, this can make identification harder, but
usually this is presented in a textual way. Have a closer look at the set
you found a similar stamp to the first one in - the 1 1/2d value does have a
curved Australia - but the 1d value (what you have here) is streight. It was
also printed in Green in '49. This is the 1943 1p brown violet Queen
Elizabeth definitive. The other two follow the Royal Visit design in my
catalogue. Look at the series of definitives for '63-'65.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Old July 14th 03, 02:00 PM
Craig

Thank you for the info
This info is not in the cat i am using, could this be due to the
catalogue being the simplified version ? also info about quality is
not included at the front as was suggested.
Using the three scanned items as an example would you say they were of
poor or reasonable quality ?

Many thanks
Craig

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:28:29 -0400, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

.. .

Old July 14th 03, 02:56 PM
Craig

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:08:38 -0400, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

"Craig" wrote in message
.. .
Thank you for the info
This info is not in the cat i am using, could this be due to the
catalogue being the simplified version ? also info about quality is
not included at the front as was suggested.

That is odd, is it a Stanley Gibbons Catalogue? Try the SG online site (is
that still free?). I have some SG catalogues but nothing handy except my GB
checklist.

Yes it is, Simplified stamps of the world 2002 edition, it does say
that it doesn't go into great detail but that does seem like a big
omission. I will check out the online site later.
Using the three scanned items as an example would you say they were of
poor or reasonable quality ?

That is subjective and barring any thinning on the back they are not bad
copies. Though none has a desirable postmark and they are a bit off centre -
but they would be the sort of stamp I put in my collection until a perfectly
centered, nicely cancelled one came along.

Thank you, it is nice to have a benchmark, i have duplicates of most
of my collection, it was give to me by an older friend of my
grandfather. He was a london postman before WW2 and collected quite a
lot. I even have the diary the p.o gave him along with seveal pins
they had to wear.

I also have a Victorian 1p red i cannot find, It was on the Australian
pages in his book but there are no australiam vicrotian stamps...are
there.

Again, thanks for your help, it's nice to be made welcome to a group.

Craig

Old July 14th 03, 04:00 PM
Craig

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:00:27 -0400, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

It is nice to see new people join in on this excellent hobby. This is one of
the friendlier newsgroups on Usenet. Believe me I participate in a few that
regularly get out of hand (usually not my fault either, honest) ;-).

Yes, been there ;-)

When you mention nicely cancelled, what exactly do you mean by that, a
cancel showing the date/town ?

Old July 14th 03, 07:47 PM
Frank Emanuel

"Craig" wrote in message
It is nice to see new people join in on this excellent hobby. This is one

of
the friendlier newsgroups on Usenet. Believe me I participate in a few

that
regularly get out of hand (usually not my fault either, honest) ;-).

When you mention nicely cancelled, what exactly do you mean by that, a
cancel showing the date/town ?

I like the pictures the Machin Nut gives:
http://www.adminware.ca/machin/m_trade.htm. Yes, a good cancel should let
you identify at least when the stamp was used (IMHO), and preferably still
where. I also like some of the slogan portions of cancels - but it depends
on how it compliments the stamp. Notice the killer cancel in this picture is
also fairly readable, but it is butt ugly.

BTW some places have excellent cancellations, and some the pits. One guy I
often buy ebay lots from sends me nice commemoratives, but they almost never
get cancelled! It is most annoying.

Frank

Old July 14th 03, 09:44 PM
John O'Brien

Your three stamps are Scott numbers 191, 365, and 366 respectively. Each
is valued at the $0.15 minimum.

Old July 15th 03, 08:23 PM
Craig

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:44:36 -0400, John O'Brien

Thank you all for your input. I now move to the New Zealand part....

Craig