Philatelic Charges of the Maltapost. Elton John Sheet.

Old July 14th 03, 09:01 AM
Pierre Courtiade

Victor Manta wrote :

"Philatelic Charges
For any order for the affixing of stamps on any envelope, card.
aerogramme, or other item of postal stationery.
For anu order for the supply of mint and/or cancelled stamps
and postal stationery with stamps affixed there on. 5% of Value of
Stamps"

Source: http://www.maltapost.com/postageboxes.html

A philatelic friendly policy indeed... Or maybe not?

Victor,

Not only they charge 5% for affixing stamps, but they also imitated SNA
in issuing in 2001 a fennec stamp.

You can see an image at
http://www.maltapost.com/issues2001.html
(under the title "Dogs")

I have a sharper image of it (from the French monthly magazine "Timbres
Magazine") where one can read :

Kelb tal.fenek
Any idea of the meaning of Kelb and tal ???

BTW, this stamp was one of the four choosen by Malta Postal
Administration to represent it in the yearly contest organized by the
French monthly magazine "Timbres Magazine".

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old July 14th 03, 04:04 PM
Tony Vella

kelb = dog
tal-fenek = of the rabbit (also hare)
kelb tal-fenek = I suppose it's some type of small dog used for hunting
hares in the old days.
I left Malta in 63 and can't recall ever seeing one.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old July 16th 03, 12:48 PM
DBoyd001

"Clausmeyer" wrote in message
BTW, Maltapost has issued on the 1st of July a miniature sheet dedicated

Elton John:

http://www.maltapost.com/elton/

yuck !!

what a perfect reason to quit collecting modern stamps
again and again

J.Clausmeyer

Why, please? Is Elton John a pariah?

Victor Manta

Not Elton John, but the subjects for stamps keeps getting sillier and
sillier. And with all the silliness these postal administrations expect to
attract new stamp collectors or at worst make a quick buck on some stamp issue.
In the hobby we have a term for such stuff: "wallpaper".
If you are not collecting stamps for the love of the stamps themselves,
then you are not really a stamp collector. If you buy stamps because they are
"collectable" (OMG I dispise that term!), then you are not a stamp collector.
Rather than waste money on a stamp that will likely not have any value
beyond its face value (if even that), Elton John fans might better invest in a
good photo (with autograph if possible) of Mr. John.
I wish stamps would go back to refelcting the history, people and
landscape of countries and not little fads, cartoons, kiddie pictures,
lecturing subjects, gimmicks, politically correct silliness and the like.
Probably the same feelings of the majority of the newsgroup.

Dave
Use commemorative stamps on ALL your mail.
Introduce the hobby of collecting stamps to someone.
Above all, enjoy your hobby regardless of what you collect!
Old July 16th 03, 02:35 PM
Victor Manta

"DBoyd001" wrote in message
[...]

Stamps issuing wasn't related to collecting only at the very beginning, as
long as the stamp collectors were absent. In time a market for
nice/interesting/special/name them/ stamps has developed, and this outside
of pure postal needs. This market is in a continual change, for reasons that
I won't mention here. Earlier some nicely designed heads of kings were
sufficient, later the masses asked for fennecs, and now they rather like
beatles and other similar God's creatures :-)

I doubt that those who buy Elton John or Pink Floyd stamps look at them as
an investment. It is rather because they love their music. Why should they
buy photos instead? It's an interesting way toward stamp collecting, like
the fennecs :-) were earlier.

You like some subject of the stamps, others like different ones, because we
are different, but all of us are nevertheless stamp collectors.

It is not important how many people like something, because stamp collecting
is a strictly personal affair. A hobby isn't a majority rule domain,
fortunately, but a strictly individual one.

This is a nice signatu "Above all, enjoy your hobby regardless of what
you collect!" , and I fully agree with it.

Victor Manta
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
1900 Links Online: http://pwmo.org/weblinks/links.asp
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch