Which countries?

Old July 1st 03, 09:03 AM
mike

Default Which countries?

Hi

This is probably a stupid question - but then the morning is the time
for stupid questions. I am coming round to the idea that I would like
to collect Commonwealth stamps but what I am wondering is - how many
countries would a complete collection include and what are they? Are
there any lists other than expensive catalogues? Also, what
strategies have people used when starting a commonwealth collection.
In the end I am just going to follow my own nose and get what I like
but I am interested in other people's ideas on this. Thanks in
advance

Mike
Old July 1st 03, 05:54 PM
A.E. Gelat

Mike, the list in the URL given below is a good start, but it lists only
independent members of the Commonwealth. All are stamp-issuing countries.
Also, independent Grenada issues stamps for its Grenadine islands, and so
does St. Vincent.

However, there many other non-independent members of the Commonwealth that
issue stamps, but are not, by definition, on the list. These a

Jersey, Guernsey (Channel Islands), Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Montserrat,
British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, Turks & Caicos Islands,
Bermuda, Falkland Islands, British Antarctic Territory, South Georgia, South
Sandwich islands, St. Helena, Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, Pitcairn Island.

The lists above are currently stamps-issuing countries, but in the past
history of the Commonwealth, there were many others that no longer issue
stamps, or were part of the British Empire but never became members of the
Commonwealth, such as Aden, Burma, Palestine, Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain,
United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar. I hope that the list here is complete,
but IO would welcome any omissions.

Tony

"Terry Steer" wrote in message
"mike" wrote in message
om...
Hi

This is probably a stupid question - but then the morning is the time
for stupid questions. I am coming round to the idea that I would like
to collect Commonwealth stamps but what I am wondering is - how many
countries would a complete collection include and what are they? Are
there any lists other than expensive catalogues? Also, what
strategies have people used when starting a commonwealth collection.
In the end I am just going to follow my own nose and get what I like
but I am interested in other people's ideas on this. Thanks in
advance

Mike

Hello Mike,

If you go to www.thecommonwealth.org and click on Members it gives you a
list of current members. It basically consists of those bits of an old

map
that were coloured red. I collect Commonwealth pre 1935 when it was

called
the British Empire.

Terry

Old July 1st 03, 05:56 PM
TC

On 1 Jul 2003 01:03:03 -0700, (mike) wrote:

Hi

This is probably a stupid question - but then the morning is the time
for stupid questions. I am coming round to the idea that I would like
to collect Commonwealth stamps but what I am wondering is - how many
countries would a complete collection include and what are they? Are
there any lists other than expensive catalogues? Also, what
strategies have people used when starting a commonwealth collection.
In the end I am just going to follow my own nose and get what I like
but I am interested in other people's ideas on this. Thanks in
advance

Mike

Here you go, Mike.

Blair
-----

Commonwealth Countries (2003-July 01)

The following is a list of Commonwealth member countries and the year
of joining. Citizens of these countries and dependant territories are
considered Commonwealth subjects and may be eligible for membership.

COUNTRY YEAR

Antigua & Barbuda 1981
Mozambique (independent 1975) 1995
Australia 1931
Namibia 1990
Bahamas 1931
Nauru 1968
Bangladesh 1973
New Zealand 1931
Barbados 1966
Nigeria 1960
Belize 1981
Pakistan (left 1972; rejoined 1989) 1947
Botswana 1966
Papua New Guinea 1975
Great Britain
Samoa (independent 1962) 1970
Brunei Darassalam 1984
St. Kitts & Nevis 1983
Cameroon (independent 1960) 1995
St. Lucia 1979
Canada 1931
St. Vincent & the Grenadines 1979
Cyprus (independent 1960) 1961
Seychelles 1976
Dominica 1978
Sierra Leone 1961
Fiji
Singapore 1965
The Gambia 1965
Solomon Islands 1978
Ghana 1957
South Africa (left 1961; rejoined 1994) 1931
Grenada 1974
Sri Lanka 1948
India 1947
Swaziland 1968
Jamaica 1962
Tanzania 1961
Kenya 1963
Tonga 1970
Kiribati 1979
Trinidad & Tobago 1962
Lesotho 1966
Tuvalu 1978
Malawi 1964
Uganda 1962
Malaysia 1957
Vanuatu 1980
Maldives (independent 1965) 1982
Zambia 1964
Malta 1964
Zimbabwe 1980
Mauritius 1968

Australian External Territories

Norfolk Island
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Coral Sea Islands Territory
Christmas Island
Australian Antartic Territory
Territory of Ashmore and Cartier Is.
Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Self Governing Countries in Free Association
with New Zealand

Cook Islands
Niue

Note: The Island Territory of Tokelu and
The Ross Dependency are administered
as part of New Zealand

British Dependent Territories

Anguilla
Henderson
Bermuda
Ducie and Oeno Islands
British Antartic Territory
Montserrat
British Indian Ocean Territory
Pitcairn Island
British Virgin Islands
St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension, Tristan da Cunha)
Cayman Islands
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Falkland Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands
Gibraltar

Plus all their forerunners. (eg Gold Coast for Ghana)

Hope this is helpful.

Blair

Old July 1st 03, 06:17 PM
A.E. Gelat

Blair, I knew I left off some, like the Australian and NZ dependencies, just
plain forgot. But your list mentions some places that never issued stamps,
and probably never will, like Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Is., and perhaps
others.

Tony

Old July 2nd 03, 01:53 PM
mike

Here you go, Mike.

Blair
-----

[...]

Thats great - thanks
Old July 2nd 03, 06:51 PM
Linda Matthews

Hi Mike

I collect all of the British Commonwealth. I drew the line though on my
collection as I do not collect them beyond independence. It is not that I
think the stamps are no longer any good, but a matter of budget and the
satisfaction of saying that there is at least a goal for me. There is a
start and a finish to the countries I am collecting in otherwords.
This also helps me print out my albums too.
Hope you find this interesting.
Happy collecting.

Larry Matthews

Old July 3rd 03, 05:54 PM
A.E. Gelat

Blair, I fail to understand your reference to Mozambique. As far as I know,
there were no British stamps ever used in Mozambique. Please explain.

Tony

"TC" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:17:10 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Blair, I knew I left off some, like the Australian and NZ dependencies,

just
plain forgot. But your list mentions some places that never issued

stamps,
and probably never will, like Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Is., and perhaps
others.

Tony

Tony:

I included them as they were part of the Commonweaalth (stamps or no
stamps), Who knows if they will have future issues 8^)

Did you remember Mozambique? many do.

Blair

Old July 4th 03, 06:44 AM
TC

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:54:46 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Blair, I fail to understand your reference to Mozambique. As far as I know,
there were no British stamps ever used in Mozambique. Please explain.

Tony

Tony:

The legal requirements to join the Commonwealth of Nations do NOT
include a prerequisite that you must have been a British colony,
dominion, dependency, or territory. Neither is membership mandatory
for the latter.

It only requires that you subscribe to certain shared values of the
other Commonwealth members.

See: The Declaration of Commonwealth Principles, 1971 (Singapore)
http://www.rcscanada.org/commonwealth/declaration.html

and: The Harare Commonwealth Declaration of 1991.
http://www.rcscanada.org/commonwealth/harare.html

Based on the latter, Mozambique applied to become a member of the
Commonwealth of Nations in 1995 and was accepted.

Mozambique's membership of the Commonwealth has not only brought
material benefits but also participation in the working groups of the
54 Commonwealth member states. Pressure for debt reduction came from
within the Commonwealth. Mozambique is now implementing reforms which
are being put in place in neighbouring (all Commonwealth) countries.
Mozambique had interacted with the Commonwealth in the struggle
against apartheid and in 1987 the Commonwealth had created a special
fund to help Mozambique cope with South African-inspired
destabilization.

QUESTION:

Will Stanley Gibbons now move Mozambique to their
Commonwealth stamp catalogue?

Blair

Old July 4th 03, 10:36 AM
Dave Joll

A.E. Gelat wrote

Blair, I fail to understand your reference to Mozambique. As far as I

know,
there were no British stamps ever used in Mozambique. Please explain.

Mozambique joined the British Commonwealth in 1995.

- Dave
--
Lowering the tone of Usenet since 1997...

Please send replies to New Zealand instead of Zanzibar.
Sorry, but the spam is just getting a little too much...

Old July 4th 03, 02:47 PM
Tracy Barber

wrote:

[...]

Unlikely. It was a Portuguese colony for a lot longer than a member
of the "Commonwealth".

Tracy Barber