Excellent New "Coin Sets of the World" Collection from The Franklin Mint...

Old August 14th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Default Excellent New "Coin Sets of the World" Collection from TheFranklin Mint...

Like this?

On Aug 14, 1:38*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:

Just for the record, MKW, it sure would help if you set your news account to
display the text that you are responding to, and then post underneath it.
Otherwise, your posts appear to be non-sequitur.

James- Hide quoted text -

Old August 14th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

The craftsmanship of all 1970's and most later FM products was
superb. Its not about how much precious metal is in it or the
investment potential. Its about the quality. The free wood cases back
in the 70's from FM were handmade in the USA out of hardwood. Thats a
treasure in itself. All coins, medals, pewter, silver plates...were
made in USA by FM.

As a side note, I have purchased some diecast cars from FM for $90
later selling them for $500+. I like these panel coin series for
looks and the fun of getting them in the mail on a regular basis. If
I want a CC Morgan I will got to a coin dealer. Its apples and
oranges. And there will always be some kid who inherited something
only caring about what its worth. Seems younger people these days do
not care about family heirlooms.

I would strongly encourage that any person really interest should find
out and pay the "real" prices for state quarters, national park
quarters, etc. offered by and through the "real" numismatic dealer
community. *Even better yet, buy those pieces only when you really
have "money-to-burn" in your pockets.

Now how can I get rid of some of my closets of "stuff" and buy that
Queen Mary II copper death medal that I want?

oly- Hide quoted text -

Old August 14th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

MKW wrote:
Like this?

On Aug 14, 1:38 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:

Just for the record, MKW, it sure would help if you set your news
account to display the text that you are responding to, and then
post underneath it. Otherwise, your posts appear to be non-sequitur.

James- Hide quoted text -

You're getting warm! Now, just post below the quoted text and you'll be
100%.

James

Old August 14th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

oly wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:09 am, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
MKW wrote:
The mass public who likes colorized coins does not consist of
serious coin collectors. They like something that looks neat. They
could care less about serious graded coins or high value rare
variations of morgan dollars. The serious coin collector is a small
part of that group. The world coin panels are a stunning design.
The blister holders have to be tooled and developed for each coin
size and shape. Stunning.

Collecting colorized coins rests away from the hardcore numismatic
end of the continuum. It is doubtful that there will ever be books
published which identify minute die varieties and states, as is done
in series such as large cents and capped bust half dollars. But
"neat" and "stunning" are entirely in the eye of the beholder, and
you have just as much right to define those terms for yourself as
anyone else has to do it for himself. I happen to like U.S. large
cents, but the reality is that those designs fail to depict beauty,
feminine or otherwise. I therefore have to derive my satisfaction
from them in other ways.

Secondly collection should not be about value increase...should only
be about what is fun and enjoyable to collect. People like colorized
coins for that reason.

You are correct again. Many of those who fret about value increase
take on a burden that diminishes their enjoyment of the hobby.
Collect what gives you pleasure, say I. There's enough misery in the
world to do it for any other reason.

James

I collect coins as historic artifacts, but sometimes I also put away
modern "stuff" that seems to me to have the potential to be
interesting to someone, some day. I am not deluding myself whether or
not I have any heirs who will ever give a **** (I do not have any such
persons close to me), nor about the "stuffs'" potential for price
appreciation

One of the few ways that I personally react with the active U.S. coin
"market" or "industry" is that I, like many, get asked to look at
accumulations/ collections held by older folks or at their estates
with an eye how to sell off a bunch of "stuff". Trust me, I always go
look, don't blow-off the chance, and I have occasionally stumbled
accross some really good numismatic treasures. But I mostly see lots
of "stuff", stuff that I myself remember being originally marketed in
the 1970s or 1980s (especially "stuff" from the time of the U.S.
Bicentennial) and my reaction was the same today as it was when I saw
the original advertisments - "Why the hell would anybody but that
junk?". Back in the 1970s, the real numismatic artifacts were cheap
enough in comparison to the "junk", and (with 20-20 hindsight) it was
obviously better to avoid the novelty and phoney baloney markets.

I hold that the same is true today. I am no longer young enough for
time to be my ally (and, thankfully, still young enough that time
isn't my pursuing personal enemy), but if you are young, please please
buy coins that are established historical artifacts; they will buy you
numismatic "pride of ownership" today and yes, a pretty decent chance
for price appreciation if your holding time is a decade or more. The
modern "stuff" vended by certain marketing organizations are unlikely
to fulfill either ideal.

The original Franklin Mint "stuff" typically had the advantages of
being nicely designed and struck, and their original "stuff" was
usually made in good silver. This bullion factor was highly important
in 1979-80 and it allowed some people who had been rather badly stuck
to get out with some decent percentage of their money. The old
Franklin Mint did a lot of things to confuse people about how much
silver they were actually receiving, but when metals prices shot
through the roof, there was still a readily determinable melt value.
Such a happy outcome won't happen with what's being sold today, as the
"stuff" is copper-nickel at best. Also, all should note that the
physical plant and assets of a ceratin private mint that existed in
the 1960s and 1970s has been sold off and disbursed long ago. A
certain capacity for fine minting that existed thirty years ago no
longer exists. Don't be confused by corporation names and coproation
games.

I would strongly encourage that any person really interest should find
out and pay the "real" prices for state quarters, national park
quarters, etc. offered by and through the "real" numismatic dealer
community. Even better yet, buy those pieces only when you really
have "money-to-burn" in your pockets.

Now how can I get rid of some of my closets of "stuff" and buy that
Queen Mary II copper death medal that I want?

First, the OP was expressing his delight in what he had done, not asking
anyone for advice.

Of course, it behooves us who have information that might benefit the OP to
offer it unsolicited. However, suggesting that the coins of his choice are
"abortions" goes way over the top. But I'll write off your snarky remark as
youthful indiscretion, leave it to MKW to come to his own conclusion, and
move on.

James

Old August 14th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

MKW wrote:
[...]

If he wants to buy them from that vendor, fine, at least he's not
running up the bids on the "historic artifacts" elsewhere.

I do greatly admire his Ronald Reagan statuette. I've already run a
search on ebay for it.

oly

Old August 14th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

oly wrote:
On Aug 14, 12:18 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
oly wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:09 am, "Mr. Jaggers"
wrote:
MKW wrote:
[...]

Was that statuette inspired by one of his movies?

Old August 15th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"MKW" wrote in message
The craftsmanship of all 1970's and most later FM products was
superb. Its not about how much precious metal is in it or the
investment potential. Its about the quality. The free wood cases back
in the 70's from FM were handmade in the USA out of hardwood. Thats a
treasure in itself. All coins, medals, pewter, silver plates...were
made in USA by FM.

As a side note, I have purchased some diecast cars from FM for $90
later selling them for $500+. I like these panel coin series for
looks and the fun of getting them in the mail on a regular basis. If
I want a CC Morgan I will got to a coin dealer. Its apples and
oranges. And there will always be some kid who inherited something
only caring about what its worth. Seems younger people these days do
not care about family heirlooms.
***********

These days it seems more younger people don't even care about family. They
usually do suddenly become interested in any "heirlooms" after their folks
pass away. But if they don't happen to find daddy's FM medal collection to
be particularly inspiring, why wouldn't you expect them to check to see if
it's worth anything? I wouldn't put a collection of modern medals in the
same "heirloom" category as a unique portrait or photo of great grandparents
or a quilt or sampler made before the Civil War by an ancestor, items that
should be retained somewhere in the family if possible.

Old August 15th 10, 07:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

On Aug 14, 2:30*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
oly wrote:
On Aug 14, 12:18 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
oly wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:09 am, "Mr. Jaggers"
wrote:
MKW wrote:
[...]

J- Hide quoted text -

Yes it was a movie based portrait I believe. It can only be purchased
through the Reagan Museum. Its hot cast. Sculpted by Ralph Beinart,
who is probably one of the best 3-D portrait sculptors.

More pics:
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...ortrait-12.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...ortrait-11.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...Portrait-2.jpg
Old August 15th 10, 07:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Most of the US Mints sculpting staff worked for Franklin Mint in the
past. Jim Licaretz started sculpting on the staff of Franklin Mint's
porcelain division "Franklin Porcelain." FM built an american
porcelain factory in 1977 at Rockdale PA to manufacture porcelain of
top quality. They brought over the top staff from Royal Worcestor in
England to help jump start the operation. Over the years, porcelain
production was shifted overseas.