Got it! An eBay purchase

Old July 1st 03, 01:06 AM
J. A. Mc.

Default Got it! An eBay purchase

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:29:57 +0100, "David F."
found these unused words floating about:

They should issue a commemorative for the dead horse. He's taken a
beating over the years and deserves some recognition.

--
Tony Cooper aka:
Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

Let's put it to a vote. All in favor say "Aye;" all opposed say "Neigh."

Mike
(who is now ducking and running for cover as quickly as possible!)

Breaks out flame thrower, short burst his way, runs away having done
said job.

Tracy Barber

Aaahhh!!!! (Gasp) Wheeze Splutter, Cough!!

TRACY!! That bush (now well cooked) was ME in 007 disguise!!
(wisps of smoke now ascending from top of hair).

This calls for a swift Cold Beer in the usual place, I hope!

David, er, .... I think.

Seriously, it would behoove the exspurts to consider a certain
promentory in Utah for their Canyonlands NP stamp ...
"Dead Horse Point" Wonder if they'll get it?

Old July 1st 03, 09:20 PM
Albumen

Dead horse. Commemorative. Uh, the US 1898 10-cent TransAmerica Issue, I
believe.

-a

Now, I'll have that slow warm glass of port.

Old July 3rd 03, 01:29 AM

Sorry Mette, I did not see the reference to there being a year between
the sale and the underbid offer. I thought you wrote that the offer was
"aterwars" and assumed a reasonably short time had intervened.
\
Tony"s analysis. You have missed the point in my hypothetical
situation. Mette had said that she dropped out at some poit and was
glad she had as the item rose quite a bit higher , which implies that
there were several, or at least two, bidders who bumped the price up to
either an excessive price or the fair market price. We have no way to
know which from the details offered.
..
My point, which I suppose no one wants to deal with is "Was it fair (and
ethical) to the winner who won a lot at, say $75 to offer a virtually
identical lot to an underbidder at a significantly lower bid ?
..
If you were the winner would you not feel cheated ? And besides bragging
rights, what is the benefit to the winner if those who have dropped out
of the process are to take home virtually the same item at their "drop
off" price ?
..
Charlie Jensen

Live right,
Eat right,
Exercise ... ... ... Die anyway !

Old July 3rd 03, 06:10 AM
Tony Cooper

.
If you were the winner would you not feel cheated ? And besides bragging
rights, what is the benefit to the winner if those who have dropped out
of the process are to take home virtually the same item at their "drop
off" price ?

Perhaps I missed something, but the example as I remember it is so
hypothetical that it can't really be analysed. If I had two identical
lots of stamps, listed one, and it sold for $75.00, I'm sure not going
to flog the second set for a significantly lesser amount. I'm going
list the second set and hope it sells for a similar figure.

I can't see how the winner in your example has any idea of the sale of
the second set as a Second Chance offer. He got what he wanted at a
price he was willing to pay, and is unaware of the second sale. Why
rain on his parade?

As to fair and ethical in the sales or purchase of open market items
like stamps, the fair price is what a willing buyer will pay a willing
seller. Let's say you're selling at a stamp show, and you have two
identical items marked at $10 each, and Buyer A walks up and whips out
$10 and buys one of the stamps. Later, Buyer B walks up and starts
bargaining with you on the second stamp. Is there any ethical reason
that what Buyer A paid you is what you must charge Buyer B?

If you don't want or need the stamp, there's nothing unethical about
selling it to Buyer B for $5.00. Conversely, there's nothing
unethical about Buyer B offering you $5.00 even if he knew A paid $10.

Old July 3rd 03, 05:35 PM
Tracy Barber

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:10:12 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Only if Buyer A is not a friend of Buyer B and they're both not there
at the same time. Surely, when that game is played "live", you will
eventually receive some up close and personal feedback. :^)

Tracy Barber