Question concerning serial number

Old September 11th 03, 05:02 PM
Shaka Zorba

Default Question concerning serial number

Hi
I see there are many helpful people
that post here and I have gained much
by reading in this group so many thanks
for your posts .
I would like to know if you can determine
the position of a dollar bill on the sheet
from it's serial number ? Also if the serial
numbers of the other bills on the sheet
can be determined ?
Again , thanks for all the information I
have already gathered here.

Old September 11th 03, 07:15 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Shaka Zorba"

I would like to know if you can determine the position of a dollar bill on the

sheet from it's serial number?

Well, not by the serial number. That's why they put the Face Plate Position
Number on the Note. Look in the upper right field, you'll see a letter and
number. This tells the position, in "grid" format. The letters go from A
throuh H, and the numbers from 1 through 4. There are 32 Notes per full sheet,
in this 8X4 method. "Sub-sheets" are then cut from these.

A1 A2 A3 A4
B1 B2 B3 B4
C1 C2 C3 C4
D1 D2 D3 D4
E1 E2 E3 E4
F1 F2 F3 F4
G1 G2 G3 G4
H1 H2 H3 H4

8-/

Coin Saver
Old September 11th 03, 07:20 PM
Geoff Aldrich

Hello Shaka,

The serial number does not tell you the position of the note on the sheet.
However, there is a small "Plate Position number", which is usually located
near the top left corner on the front of the note. This number (actually a
letter and number) can tell you where that particular note was printed on
the sheet. The following web page describes it in more detail:

http://www.dawnscurrency.com/anatomy/positions.html

Notes printed since Series 1957 have been printed on sheets of 32 notes.

Hope this helps.

--Geoffrey

Old September 11th 03, 07:47 PM
Anonymous Joe

Ah, that explains why I have two consecutive $1s and they both have face
plates of F4.

I though that they would have F4 then G4, but that link helped me out with
that, although I hadn't though of it much at all.

Old September 11th 03, 07:47 PM
Vinkjm

Why bother
The latters in lower rt corner tell you
marty
Old September 11th 03, 11:35 PM
Coin Saver

From: coinsaver
Look in the upper right field

OOps, my bad, Upper left.

Coin Saver

Wurlitzer 2600 buzzing problem? chungsters Juke Boxes 4 November 13th 04 01:47 PM
The Survival Rate of Books HFB Books 33 July 19th 04 01:52 PM
MONTBLANC serial number Earl Camembert Pens & Pencils 1 April 10th 04 04:05 AM
Serial versions of novels - a question fraser and marie pakes Books 1 April 7th 04 10:23 PM
Looking for a specific serial number note Varshney Paper Money 2 August 11th 03 04:51 PM