An introduction from a new member

Old December 13th 03, 03:09 AM
Graham

Default An introduction from a new member

I've been reading the articles on here for a little while now and
learn a lot and laugh a lot as well (mostly thanks to the humour of
Dave (Scottishmoney) and Padraig.
Thought as it was Christmas, and a time of many lists, that I would
throw in my two pennorth with a list of papermoney thoughts:
First Note: A 1923 German regional note from Baden which quite stunned
me with its beauty and set me off on a long road.
Favourite Note Owned - a white English £5 note dated just 2 days
after I was born.
Favourite Website: Has to be Ron Wise. A real labour of love and all
credit to him and those who support him.
Most intriguing note - the Canadian "devil's hair" notes. Was it
coincidence or not?
Saddest Moment: Watching people making fortunes selling Iraqi notes
and capitalising on such an awful situation (not a political comment -
I don't do politics).
Greatest Moment: Everytime I receive new notes - the buzz never
ceases.
Favourite Person: My wife, Lesley, who not only tolerates my "habit"
but helps and encourages me all the way.

By the way, does anyone have any thoughts on why so many of the German
inflation notes have an * on them. I'm sure it's not because they are
replacements - issues never lasted long enough! I can only assume that
the * effectively doubled the number of serial numbers of that
particular issue but I am open to advice.

Graham (IBNS 9222)
Old December 14th 03, 09:52 PM
Scottishmoney

"Graham" wrote in message
Favourite Note Owned - a white English £5 note dated just 2 days
after I was born.

You know, I do not think they are the most beautiful notes ever created, but
there is a distinct ambience to said notes, that equates great confidence of
the value. Kind of like it stated, we have the most valuable currency in the
world, and we do not need to doll up our banknotes with images in a vain
attempt to boost the value of said banknote.

Favourite Website: Has to be Ron Wise. A real labour of love and all
credit to him and those who support him.

Frankly he has devoted incredible amounts of time and energy. When I had my
banknotes site, I frankly got overwhelmed with a much smaller topical site
and gave up. He definately is a hard act to follow.

Most intriguing note - the Canadian "devil's hair" notes. Was it
coincidence or not?

I have one of them, I wonder who did the engraving, if they were of French
Canadian extraction, thence I must believe that coincidence surely is out of
the question. However there are also a minority of English speaking
Canadians whom could have cared less for HRH so who knows. It all comes
down to this, did the engraver keep his job? I don't know.

Saddest Moment: Watching people making fortunes selling Iraqi notes
and capitalising on such an awful situation (not a political comment -
I don't do politics).

Happened on a smaller scale after Afghanistan, the fall of the USSR etc.
Frankly I thought the people selling commems of the WTC disaster NYC were
the most disgusting.

Greatest Moment: Everytime I receive new notes - the buzz never
ceases.

Yep, a cheaper and less distructive high than drugs.

Favourite Person: My wife, Lesley, who not only tolerates my "habit"
but helps and encourages me all the way.

My better half, bless her soul, cannot fathom what it is I see in collecting
coins, banknotes etc. But in situations whence I really want something,
like when I bought a Scottish coin in a show in Ontario over the summer, she
rather encouraged me to buy it(maybe concerned that if I didn't I might find
something else that was pricier

Dave IBNS 9143

---

Old December 15th 03, 03:54 AM
Padraic Brown

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:52:42 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

"Graham" wrote in message
Favourite Note Owned - a white English £5 note dated just 2 days
after I was born.

You know, I do not think they are the most beautiful notes ever created,

Just a little less attractive than our greenbacks!

but
there is a distinct ambience to said notes, that equates great confidence of
the value.

Yes. The design is plain and stately; every inch the bold statement of
English solidity and tradition. And practically unchanged in design
since, what, 1695 or so? Also, it's a whopping big thing! - impressive
just for its size.

Kind of like it stated, we have the most valuable currency in the
world, and we do not need to doll up our banknotes with images in a vain
attempt to boost the value of said banknote.

Yep!

Greatest Moment: Everytime I receive new notes - the buzz never
ceases.

Yep, a cheaper and less distructive high than drugs.

Well, if you get enough bank notes together, you can probably extract
quite a lot of cocaine...

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old December 15th 03, 02:55 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Padraic Brown wrote:

Well, if you get enough bank notes together, you can probably extract
quite a lot of cocaine...

By the way, if you did that in Europe, prefer Spain and avoid France
g. Among the euro countries, notes circulating in Spain have an
average cocaine content of 335 micrograms. Those circulating in France,
however, have an average content of only 0.102 micrograms, mostly from
automatic cash counting/sorting machines ...

Christian

THE BECKETT DEALER COMMUNITY SHOWS TRUE COLOURS BECKETTMPDEALER Card discussions 4 December 4th 04 09:47 PM
Interesting Beckett Dealer talk. BECKETTMPDEALER Card discussions 5 November 16th 04 11:33 AM
New ANA Member Larry Louks Coins 15 December 11th 03 07:15 PM
Plug for Yahoo Seller Keith Fletcher Coins 83 October 26th 03 03:15 PM
CONTEST .... Name the new family member. beta9 Coins 52 August 29th 03 05:51 PM