"Blast White"

Old January 4th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default "Blast White"

"Mike Marotta" wrote in message
On Dec 26 2009, 9:56 pm, "Petronius" wrote:
The term "Blast White" has become so over/misused on eBay so as to become
almost
meaningless.
Not that the term makes much sense anyway!

One of the serious numismatic dealers I know happened to mention a few
years back that his interest was in "blast white" coins. I like him,
so I nodded and noted, and said nothing, but in my head, I was
wondering what that does for the JeweLuster business."

It takes some experience - and yes, foolies are everywhere - but for
myself, I like natural surfaces... whatever that might mean...
==================

I kinda like the term, myself. To me it accurately describes the bursts of
reflected light from the surface of a freshly minted silver coin as it is
tilted in several directions. I don't doubt that the term is overused and
abused on eBay and in dealer ads, as are most other terms that have been
traditionally attached to uncirculated coins.

Old January 4th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

[...]

I've always taken it two ways. The coin presents a visual blast of
generally uniform matte white reflection over every part of its surface; and
more whimsically, as a reference by analogy to a surface that has been
sandblasted to a matte finish.

Old January 8th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Lucky

On Jan 3, 8:52�pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

sandblasted to a matte finish.- Hide quoted text -

I've always equated it with a AU/BU merc dime..
Old January 14th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Lucky

On Jan 8, 5:42�pm, Lucky wrote:
On Jan 3, 8:52 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

[...]

I've always equated it with a AU/BU merc dime..- Hide quoted text -

I guess"blast white" could mean any silver or silver toned coin
though. It equates GEM/BU if THAT is even a real classification
Old January 14th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Lucky

On Dec 27 2009, 11:31�am, Michael Benveniste
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

Old cleaning/new cleaning..it's pretty easy to spot a cleaned coin
Old January 16th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Dec 28 2009, 1:35*pm, Relayer wrote:
On Dec 27, 6:59 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

.........great addition to anyone's collection..........

"Old Money" or "Antique Money"

"Estate Coin"
Old January 16th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Reality" wrote in message
On Dec 28 2009, 1:35 pm, Relayer wrote:
On Dec 27, 6:59 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

.........great addition to anyone's collection..........

"Old Money" or "Antique Money"

"Estate Coin"

Those last three, while meaningless, go to provenance, not condition. The
one that always torques me off is the phony, meaningless disclaimer.

"I'm not a collector so I don't know anything about these things, but (in my
opinion) (I've been told that) this coin would be graded as an MS-69 or
MS-70, whatever that means."

Yeah, right. The seller has explicitly connected the coin with TPG grading
levels MS-69 and MS-70. No amount of, or types of disclaimers can unmake
that rotten omelet.

Meaningless phrases about provenance are intended to add cachet. It's more
or less harmless, like touting a laundry soap as "New! Improved!"
Meaningless disavowals of false information about the condition are the
equivalent of fraud and ought to be a hanging offense.