1921-D walker found in "junk silver"

Old May 10th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1921-D walker found in "junk silver"

Here's scans of the little beastie I was surprised by last week. Not
sure specifically when I bought it, I had a cup filling with Walker
halves waiting to be checked against my books, and/or rolled.

http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

I'm inclined to keep it, it's the rarest coin I have by mint quantity, I
think (at 208,000). Not much to look at, but it's a key, so there you
go. If nothing else, it's a fun example of "check everything". Funny
how we were just talking about dealers selling things for less than
they're worth.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this grades at? I've got an idea
but the scratch on the flag & her hand is making it tough for me.

Dave Hinz

Old May 10th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[Default] On 10 May 2006 14:54:43 GMT, Dave Hinz
climbed to the top of the minaret and sang out:

Here's scans of the little beastie I was surprised by last week. Not
sure specifically when I bought it, I had a cup filling with Walker
halves waiting to be checked against my books, and/or rolled.

http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

I'm inclined to keep it, it's the rarest coin I have by mint quantity, I
think (at 208,000). Not much to look at, but it's a key, so there you
go. If nothing else, it's a fun example of "check everything". Funny
how we were just talking about dealers selling things for less than
they're worth.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this grades at? I've got an idea
but the scratch on the flag & her hand is making it tough for me.

I'd put it at good (because of how worn the date is - the ANA book
says the date should be clear on a VG coin), which gives it a 2007 Red
Book value of $265.
Not bad for a "junk silver" find.
Just my luck the dealer I buy from is more careful than your dealer...

Old May 10th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:30:28 -0400, WheatPenny wrote:
[Default] On 10 May 2006 14:54:43 GMT, Dave Hinz
climbed to the top of the minaret and sang out:

http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/
If nothing else, it's a fun example of "check everything". Funny
how we were just talking about dealers selling things for less than
they're worth.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this grades at? I've got an idea
but the scratch on the flag & her hand is making it tough for me.

I'd put it at good (because of how worn the date is - the ANA book
says the date should be clear on a VG coin), which gives it a 2007 Red
Book value of $265.

What about that gash across her arm though? And I can see some of the
skirt lines, but the date is very worn - I don't look that closely at
low-grade walkers but it seems to me this one doesn't fit the normal
wear pattern.

Not bad for a "junk silver" find.
Just my luck the dealer I buy from is more careful than your dealer...

I think I know when it happened, too. They were super busy, lot was
full, and it was the first time I bought specifically walkers instead of
random halves. They kind of made up a premium on the spot (10% above
junk silver price) and fished out a fistful. This was pretty far down
in the cup I'd been accumulating them in so I think it was an early buy,
maybe a month or two ago.

I think it's worth it to keep paying the 10% premium for walkers. I
doubt that I'll get another key, of course, but I still have holes in
the walker books (I'm building two sets). As long as I keep filling
holes or upgrading the books, I'll keep buying junk silver this way.

Old May 10th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave Hinz wrote:
Here's scans of the little beastie I was surprised by last week. Not
sure specifically when I bought it, I had a cup filling with Walker
halves waiting to be checked against my books, and/or rolled.

http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

I'm inclined to keep it, it's the rarest coin I have by mint quantity, I
think (at 208,000). Not much to look at, but it's a key, so there you
go. If nothing else, it's a fun example of "check everything". Funny
how we were just talking about dealers selling things for less than
they're worth.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this grades at? I've got an idea
but the scratch on the flag & her hand is making it tough for me.

AG4 -. At that grade, the scratches would be seemingly inconsequential.
The minus, however, is intended to indicate a lower than book valuation
for even that low of grade.

--
JMark
Old May 10th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
m...
In article , JMark
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
Here's scans of the little beastie I was surprised by last week. Not
sure specifically when I bought it, I had a cup filling with Walker
halves waiting to be checked against my books, and/or rolled.

http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

I'm inclined to keep it, it's the rarest coin I have by mint quantity, I
think (at 208,000). Not much to look at, but it's a key, so there you
go. If nothing else, it's a fun example of "check everything". Funny
how we were just talking about dealers selling things for less than
they're worth.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this grades at? I've got an idea
but the scratch on the flag & her hand is making it tough for me.

AG4 -. At that grade, the scratches would be seemingly inconsequential.
The minus, however, is intended to indicate a lower than book valuation
for even that low of grade.

and the rim damage drags it down. pcgs would body bag it.

PCGS wouldn't bodybag it just for the dings and scratch. I've seen plenty
of similarly-afflicted coins in the slabs of all the majors. The reason
they would bodybag it is that the 21-D half in that low grade is not at all
scarce - just expensive. You can even find one at the annual East Kumquat
Coin Show and Bourse. However, a 1796 half dollar with similar
characteristics would get into anybody's slab, I betcha.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 10th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:35:11 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"e" wrote in message
m...

Dave Hinz wrote:
http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

and the rim damage drags it down. pcgs would body bag it.

PCGS wouldn't bodybag it just for the dings and scratch. I've seen plenty
of similarly-afflicted coins in the slabs of all the majors. The reason
they would bodybag it is that the 21-D half in that low grade is not at all
scarce - just expensive. You can even find one at the annual East Kumquat
Coin Show and Bourse. However, a 1796 half dollar with similar
characteristics would get into anybody's slab, I betcha.

So not worth slabbing, I assume? Just stick it in the whitman folder
with the rest of 'em?

Old May 10th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

Here's scans of the little beastie I was surprised by last week.
Not sure specifically when I bought it, I had a cup filling with
Walker halves waiting to be checked against my books, and/or
rolled.

http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

I'm inclined to keep it, it's the rarest coin I have by mint
quantity, I think (at 208,000). Not much to look at, but it's a
key, so there you go. If nothing else, it's a fun example of
"check everything". Funny how we were just talking about dealers
selling things for less than they're worth.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this grades at? I've got an
idea but the scratch on the flag & her hand is making it tough for
me.

Dave Hinz

I'd have to call it an AG-3, given the wear, the scratches and the pit
under TRUST. Might even go to a 2. No way could I call it anything
better than an AG, though.

But, hey, it's a very, very cool find in junk silver! Congrats!

Maybe I DO have to go to the dealers, and start digging thru their junk
silver bins! What day of the week do you go to Derzon, again? I'll have
to make sure I go there before you do! Ha! ;-) No, just kidding. I'll
stay away from them.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old May 10th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:35:11 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"e" wrote in message
m...

Dave Hinz wrote:
http://www.duck-creek.net/photos/1921/

and the rim damage drags it down. pcgs would body bag it.

PCGS wouldn't bodybag it just for the dings and scratch. I've seen
plenty
of similarly-afflicted coins in the slabs of all the majors. The reason
they would bodybag it is that the 21-D half in that low grade is not at
all
scarce - just expensive. You can even find one at the annual East
Kumquat
Coin Show and Bourse. However, a 1796 half dollar with similar
characteristics would get into anybody's slab, I betcha.

So not worth slabbing, I assume? Just stick it in the whitman folder
with the rest of 'em?

Which, the 21-D, or the '96? No matter. If you want a coin slabbed, you
should have it done, no matter what I or anyone else might say. It's a free
country, n'est-ce pas? 8)

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 10th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:46:29 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

So not worth slabbing, I assume? Just stick it in the whitman folder
with the rest of 'em?

Which, the 21-D, or the '96?

I don't have any 18th century US anything. Yet.

No matter. If you want a coin slabbed, you
should have it done, no matter what I or anyone else might say. It's a free
country, n'est-ce pas? 8)

I think it's just going into the blue whitman folder where the rest of
my walkers are. Unless someone here really wants it and has something
interesting to trade?

It's strange. I've got quite a few coins that I really like having.
This one, although rare, doesn't do much for me and I'm not sure I'll
keep it. Wonder why that is...

Old May 10th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:24:11 GMT, e wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz wrote:
.
So not worth slabbing, I assume? Just stick it in the whitman folder
with the rest of 'em?

worth ebaying for 2/3 the money of a g-vg.
just use your tact and charm in the description, dave.

Hm. Tact. Me. Nope, not seeing it. So here's how I'd write this one
up if I was going to sell it, which I don't think I am:

FA: Walking Liberty Half Dollar, key date, 1921-D.
This was once an excellent example of the most beautiful of American
coins, now but a mere shadow of its former self. Old, deep scratch on
flag and her right arm. Rim dents near "R" in LIBERTY, hole under
"trust". Rim dents on back near "TED", clearly visible in scans.
Smudge on eagle's right leg that looks like it's on, rather than in, the
surface. Not a beauty, but better than that hole staring at you every time you
open your walker album.

(If you've seen my auctions / store listings, you'll know that this is
pretty much consistant with my writing style. Not selling anything at
the moment, I'm in "buy" and "hold" for silver).

So, tact? I don't think so. But if you find blunt honesty to be
charming, feel free

Dave