Fakes and Terrorism (Again)

Old June 2nd 05, 06:55 PM
Anka

Jeff R wrote:
I just haggle over the price of *everything*!

I'm sure I could get the universities to cut me a special deal - y'know -
three for the price of one, but sadly they're at different campuses.

--
Jeff R.
(or is that "campii"?)

Tightarse. ;-)

Anka ---- campus, campi; campi, camporum; campo, campis; campum,
campos; campo, campis... (I think)

Old June 2nd 05, 07:52 PM
Jeff R

"Anka" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff R wrote:
I just haggle over the price of *everything*!

I'm sure I could get the universities to cut me a special deal -

y'know -
three for the price of one, but sadly they're at different campuses.

--
Jeff R.
(or is that "campii"?)

Tightarse. ;-)

Squeak, squeak! :-)

Anka ---- campus, campi; campi, camporum; campo, campis; campum,
campos; campo, campis... (I think)

Actually, "Campo" is a local footballing legend...

--
Jeff R.
(could we go any further OT?)

Old June 2nd 05, 08:23 PM
Anka

Jeff R wrote:

Actually, "Campo" is a local footballing legend...

I guess soccer stars (a la Pele) were one-name wonders long before Shaq
made the scene. My cousin's husband was a goalie, playing for team
Dinamo back in the 60's in YU. Everyone called him Muza (The Muse).

And speaking of goals... My goal is to acquire an ancient coin from
every ancient site I've visited. ahem Back on topic.

~Anka

Old June 2nd 05, 09:28 PM
note.boy

Many a muckle maks a makle as we say here in Scotland. Billy

Anka wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Yesterday as a
matter of fact I did some negotiating on the phone. My wife and I
wanted to sign our kids up for a summer writing program, to exercise
their minds after being at camp during the day. One we found was
pricey, though the person offering it had excellent credentials. Over
the phone I said, "To be honest, your fee seems a bit pricey. I
understand completely if this wouldn't work for you, but what would
work for us is to be able to send both of our kids for the price of
one." She immediately accepted my offer.

What a cheapskate. Sheesh.

Old June 2nd 05, 09:33 PM
note.boy

When my wife calls me a cheapskate I take it as a compliment. :-)

Her Silver Wedding Anniversary meal consisted of chips and gravy with a
plastic fork, cost £1.25, I am a legend with the young lads at work and
I'm constantly asked for advice of the wooing of young ladies. :-)

If I'm asked nicely I will reveal what her present was. Billy

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On 31 May 2005 19:06:22 -0700, "Anka" wrote:

What a cheapskate. Sheesh.

Very funny -- I'm assuming you were trying to be funny here, but you
and I both know you weren't. I guess if you were in my shoes (your
feet would need to be bigger), you would have offered her double her
fee, since from what you write above you must be the opposite of a
cheapskate.

In truth, she was very happy signing up our two kids for the price of
one, as I said. We chatted on the phone for about ten minutes after
this, and I'm as confident as I can be from a phone conversation that
she's a skilled and caring teacher.

The other truth is how bizarre it is that you two call me names
(cheapskate and tightarse) for negotiating this. I don't think you
realize how truly bizarre you're acting. I know. You do it on Usenet
because you can. And then you get mad when you get belligerence back
in return. LOL.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Old June 2nd 05, 09:36 PM
note.boy

Jeff R wrote:

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message

I believe there's always an explanation, a reason, for aberrant
behavior like this. He does his flame graffiti on his Web pages,
combining all these graphics and animations, putting me in a dress and
all the rest, and says he's not being childish, I am,

Well... I'm glad we've cleared that up. Reid *is* indeed childish.

and that he
doesn't spend a lot of time on this. He says he used to make a good
living writing, then denies that he's retired

Ummm... Reid...
Are you aware of the concept of "changing jobs"?
I've been a:
* writer,
* editor,
* proofreader.

I'm not now. I work in a different field.

... (maybe he's not), then
asks what do I have against retired people.

Would you care to explain your jibe against retirees, then?
Quote: " You're said you're retired, and that's obvious. "

In the UK they are known as "coffin dodgers". Why DO they drive so
sloooooow? Billy

Of course you won't.
You don't acknowledge your rudeness, do you Reid?

He says he's not bitter,

You don't see the smile on my dial whilst I type this.
Here - I'l try to emoticon it: :-)

but he's one of these flame people who jumps in at just about every
opportunity when flaming is going on, and he's done this from his
first participating in this newsgroup.

No, there's another lie.
When I first participated in this NG I actually helped you edit out the
mistakes in your periodic posts - on many occasions - until I found out your
true nature.

When he talks coins, he nakedly reveals his ignorance and his
sanctimoniousness, saying for instance, fairly incredibly, that people
who negotiate on coin deals are greedy,

I don't like haggling. I don't find it dignified or pleasant.
I don't like sellers setting one price for one customer and another price
for another customer.
I don't like seeing a quiet, non-assertive customer being charged more than
a strident, aggressive, unpleasant and noisy one.
I like the honesty of a displayed price (the *best* price*).
You don't like my opinion? So flame me!
Aren't you the magnanimous poster who often states: "everyone is entitled to
his own opinion G"?
Or doesn't that count for me?

Here's my take on haggling:
http://mendosus.com/coinbert.html

I haggle. I just don't like doing it.
I clean out my greasetrap. Same opinion.

that negotiating is like
begging

It is *exactly* that.

and stealing, that it's not an American

Your lie.
I'm Australian.
Why should I fuss about "American practices"?

practice but an Arab
or Moslem

Another lie.
I never mentioned "Arab" or "Moslem".
That was *your* construction.

practice belonging in Marrakesh, somehow not knowing that it
has always been a part of numismatics, that it's what most dealers do
when buying coins and what many collectors do as well. Nobody forces
anybody to negotiate, but to see how central it is in numismatics all
you have to do is watch transactions at any coin show! And then he
adds the belligerent inanity that enjoying the negotiating process is
"Goldsborough morality." He says also that sniping is greedy.

Cite that Reid. Third (fourth? I've lost count) lie.
I have never deleted an RCC post (unlike your cowardly ways).
Post a link to where I said that.
(I love sniping. Its a fun sport. *That* I have posted before.)

It's
pure pathology,

Oh yeah?
I'm actually feeling quite fit, thank you.

Did you mean "pathology"?

(Be grateful, Reid, that I was never *your* editor.
I've sacked better writers than you for their sloppy use of language.)

these problem people who put on these airs

No airs.
No graces.
Just the facts, Ma'am.

of moral
superiority yet act in morally decrepit ways. There's always a reason,
I believe, for it, something that happened to them.

Like, fr'instance, reading something contemptible and offensive in a coin
NG?

But you can't talk to them,

Well, *you* can't (or "won't").
You steadfastly refuse to answer points raised against you.

I'm just waiting for your trademark cowardly line:
"G I'm outa here"!

flame people like this. They're not
reasonable or rational. They don't change their minds or even
entertain new ideas. You can't reach them.

...or even see their points...

...They just ram on with their
belligerence. Ignoring them doesn't help either. What I do is comment
of them and their behavior, when their belligerence is aimed toward
me.

Is there anybody else on this NG worth flaming, save you and your
leg-humping acolytes?

But this of course is not a solution to the flame problem either.

No.
I agree.

The solution is:

Stop posting offensive, self-aggrandising, patronising rubbish on this NG in
the first place.

Damn!
That's such a good idea, I'll repeat it:

Stop posting offensive, self-aggrandising, patronising rubbish on this NG in
the first place.

--
Jeff R.
(try it, Reid)

Old June 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:57:43 -0400, (Edward
McGrath) wrote:

Jeff in Australia is the official tidy bowl man. Take a seat folks and
try to sink his boat : )

This "Jeff R." (he used to call himself "A.Gent"!) is anything but a
gentleman or a decent fellow. He says he's cranky, and he's at least
honest about that. He also used to use, as his email address,
something like
. LOL!. But he says that his
belligerence doesn't take him a lot of time, and he's not obsessed. If
he says it, it must be true. He jumps into flamewars at every
opportunity and takes the flaming to the Web with his multiple
graphics and animation-laden flame pages, and he's not obsessed! He's
just another common as dirt Usenet flamer who belches out his
belligerence mindlessly, though his Web activities put him in a class
by himself. Are there others among the millions of people on Usenet so
obsessed with a single individual like this? There must be, but I
haven't come across anybody else like this until now.

His flaming about negotiating was priceless. Along with his saying
that sharing a story about a good coin deal was "Goldsborough
mentality," he said that negotiating when buying coins is "akin to
shoplifting." There's a rational, reasonable person for you! That's
somebody we can all learn from. What else did he say about negotiating
a coin deal ... He said it's "akin to begging for spare change at the
railway station." Cracks me up! There's more. He said that people who
enjoy the negotiating process "would likely have found shoplifting
'fun' in their youth." It keeps getting better and better! Rationality
at its finest. And there's still more! He said that negotiating
deprives coin dealers of their ability to put food on the table and
pay for their children's education. Blows your mind, doesn't it, the
sanctimonious claptrap that (some) people come up with try to make
themselves feel superior.

He's another one I would enjoy having nothing to do with. I don't
respond to his posts -- you can't respect the thinking of somebody who
posts this way, and he doesn't collect what I collect. I ignore him.
Yet he goes after me at every opportunity, and when he does, I
sometimes, not always, respond. But he's not obsessed. And he's a good
and decent man. He said so.

The single funniest thing he does is respond to posts of mine with
what he seems to think is bold aggression, when he just points to his
multiple flame Web pages dedicated to me. It's too funny.

Old June 2nd 05, 10:48 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "note.boy" wrote:

Jeff R wrote:

[...]

Ah. This is like noticing that the supermarket queue
next to you is moving faster (the odds are one of the two will be).

You only get delayed by the slow retirees.

You don't see the fast ones as they are way ahead of you.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old June 2nd 05, 11:04 PM
Ian

Oh dear.

Actually Billy, the saying most `Scots bairns' are taught in schools is:

`Mony a meikle maks a muckle'. Of course, that rendition is in itself
truly `a heap o' ****e'.

If you hear anyone in Scotland say `Many a muckle maks a makle', then
you now have the opportunity to correct them. It seems tae be `arse tae
elbae' and it might be `Weegie' speak, but it's certainly not of Scots
origin.

I don't expect anyone else but you and I to understand the following
text, but it should be self explanatory to you and enable you to mak a
stairt tae help gettin Scots back in order.

` Syne an on, proverbs the likes o "Coals tae Newcastle" is lairnt Scots
spaekin bairns, an they'r left aathegither in ignorance o oor ain "Saut
tae Dysart, Puddins tae Ternent". This kin o thing can aboot gar an a
body greet whan Scots is liftit wrang bi English an Americans an syne
gien back tae us throu the education system. The'r the likes o Scots
bairns bein lairned nonsense like "Mony a meikle maks a muckle" an the
teacher makkin oot that this is pairt o their ain heritage *(the richt
saw is fand in Hislops Proverbs o Scotland: "Mony a little maks a muckle")*.

(extracted from a submission by Sandy Fleemin. SP Paper 778 Session 1
(2003) Report on Inquiry into the role of educational and cultural
policy in supporting and developing Gaelic, Scots and minority languages
in Scotland - Volume 2: Evidence)

Hope that helps.

Ian

Old June 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
Bruce Remick

Jeff R wrote:

[...]

You never see any smart retirees in a supermarket queue. We enjoy that option
of shopping when the working class is off the streets. Been there, on both
sides. I've gotten pretty used to the retired side, but I wouldn't trade the
experiences in my working years.

Bruce