Getting paint off leather books

Old April 2nd 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RS

Default Getting paint off leather books

I have a volume one of the Franklin Library Shakespeare and it has
a tiny bit of paint. I tried a little of the neatsfoot oil/lanoin
cream
to loosen it but it's not quite there. Any suggestions?

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Old April 3rd 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
brainstormsoftware

The only thing I can think of is using a leather cleaner product
which usually aren't used for leather books. It's mostly gone
by alternating that with the proper book dressing and getting
scraping at it.

If it was a 16th Century book, I wouldn't do it that way, but
then who would get paint on a 16th Century book?
(a very rich painter, perhaps!).

Old April 3rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Apr 3, 2:04*am, "Ed Harper" wrote:
Simple. *Use paint remover.

That might be a little hard on the leather, don't you think?
Also won't do any good if the paint is latex based.
Old April 17th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RS

An update:

NEVER RUB HARD A LEATHER BOOK!

Unless it has no dye whatsoever on it (which doesn't exist).

You always have to apply light to moderate pressure or else
that thin coating of dye will wear off.

Old May 12th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
helloguy

On Apr 2, 2:06*pm, RS wrote:
I have a volume one of the Franklin Library Shakespeare and it has
a tiny bit of paint. *I tried a little of the neatsfoot oil/lanoin
cream
to loosen it but it's not quite there. *Any suggestions?

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Softwarehttp://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Musichttp://www.rspearson..com

Since the Franklin Library are no longer in business, you can't send
them a message for advice. Maybe try asking the Easton Press, who
produce the same kind of books, or send an email to other online sites
like http://www.leatherboundtreasure.com/

FA: Life History U.S. Time Life Books VG HC Leather Set lampbay[_2_] Books 2 September 4th 07 06:31 AM
Best way to clean leather-bound books exposed to grease vapors [email protected] Books 11 February 26th 06 09:58 AM
Collection needs appraisal. 17th C. leather-bound books (french) Alexandre Cloutier Books 0 April 27th 04 03:34 PM
Veneer over paint ... M100C Juke Boxes 4 January 1st 04 02:11 PM
old books, rare books, valuable books and bargain price books Studio Bibliografico Iavarone Books 0 November 25th 03 12:11 PM